Going from lower Tier RG to Oxbridge (Top 5)?

Watch
John34x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How possible do you think it is for a student at one of the lower tier RG universities e.g. Sheffield/Liverpool/Newcastle, to get into Oxbridge to do a masters? Very Unlikely? What about a top 5 university like Warwick, Durham, UCL etc? And if a student from an ex-poly like Nottingham Trent applied to Oxbridge for a masters, would their application go straight in the bin?

Should you aim to do a masters at a university that is couple of places in the league table above / below your undergraduate university to increase your chances of success?
username2982648
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should show academic excellence- which is slightly more important than the university you went to.
For example, if you had an applicant from UCL who graduated with a 2:1 and a graduate from Nottingham Trent who graduated with a 1st, then strictly speaking, the Nottingham Trent applicant should have a higher chance.
People assume that those who go to universities lower down in the league tables are less academic. Correlation does not mean causality!
Farchitect
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I got a first at undergraduate from an ex-poly (DMU) and got into Cambridge and UCL for masters. Plenty of my colleagues on my masters did their undergraduate degrees at places like Nottingham Trent and Plymouth and I have friends who went onto Oxbridge for masters, having gone to KCL, Sheffield and QMUL for undergraduate. Anything is possible.
C_Richards99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by John34x)
How possible do you think it is for a student at one of the lower tier RG universities e.g. Sheffield/Liverpool/Newcastle, to get into Oxbridge to do a masters? Very Unlikely? What about a top 5 university like Warwick, Durham, UCL etc? And if a student from an ex-poly like Nottingham Trent applied to Oxbridge for a masters, would their application go straight in the bin?

Should you aim to do a masters at a university that is couple of places in the league table above / below your undergraduate university to increase your chances of success?
Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge (credit jneill), the universities with the highest success rate are:
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. UCL
7. Durham
8. Imperial
9. Manchester
10. Bristol
11. LSE
12. Exeter

of course, this is not to say that a student from London Met will get their application chucked into the bin purely because of their university, there's still very much a chance of admission - just may be the case that the chances are lower in comparison to other universities.

As others above you have said, anything is possible
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by John34x)

(Original post by C_Richards99)
Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge (credit jneill), the universities with the highest success rate are:
of course, this is not to say that a student from London Met will get their application chucked into the bin purely because of their university, there's still very much a chance of admission - just may be the case that the chances are lower in comparison to other universities.

As others above you have said, anything is possible
Even better: Top 30 with >100 applicants

1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 St Andrews
4 KCL
5 Edinburgh
6 Sussex
7 SOAS
8 UCL
9 Durham
10 Newcastle
11 Imperial
12 Leeds
13 Manchester
14 Bristol
15 LSE
16 Exeter
17 Cardiff
18 Glasgow
19 RHUL
20 Leicester
21 Kent
22 Birmingham
23 UEA
24 Bath
25 Sheffield
26 City University
27 QMUL
28 Nottingham
29 Essex
30 Lancaster

Sheffield and Newcastle are there. Liverpool was #31
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (180)
44.55%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (44)
10.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
7.92%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (85)
21.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (40)
9.9%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.69%

Watched Threads