Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How likely is it that a graduate from Oxford University goes on to do a masters at a bottom table university like say London Met? Has this happened before? If not London Met, what about the next thing up from that, so say Oxford to an ex-poly like Nottingham Trent? Would this happen if the Oxford student gets a poor degree classification, like a 2:2 for example, and gets in primarily off the back of the reputation of Oxford University? I wonder, though, if this might happen even if the students gets a 1st from Oxford - then goes to London Met!

ReputationRep:
    why? you can do a masters at some RG universities with a 2.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayyy2)
    why? you can do a masters at some RG universities with a 2.2
    Well, that seems quite silly to me. I mean, if you only end up with a 2.2, then surely that in itself is evidence that you're not suited to more demanding and intensive study like a masters programme? And those RG universities are probably the runt of the litter like Liverpool / Sheffield etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John34x)
    Well, that seems quite silly to me. I mean, if you only end up with a 2.2, then surely that in itself is evidence that you're not suited to more demanding and intensive study like a masters programme? And those RG universities are probably the runt of the litter like Liverpool / Sheffield etc.
    are u even at university?

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. Some people fail to get a 2.1 because they did not work hard. However, I read a few examples where people manage a distinction in their masters after a 2.2.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How likely is it that a graduate from Oxford University goes on to do a masters at a bottom table university like say London Met? Has this happened before? If not London Met, what about the next thing up from that, so say Oxford to an ex-poly like Nottingham Trent? Would this happen if the Oxford student gets a poor degree classification, like a 2:2 for example, and gets in primarily off the back of the reputation of Oxford University? I wonder, though, if this might happen even if the students gets a 1st from Oxford - then goes to London Met!
    I went from Oxford to Goldsmiths if that counts? :awesome: Though to my knowledge, Goldsmiths is not an ex-poly... :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More common than you might think, but most often it will be people who have moved elsewhere in the UK doing specialized professional masters at a local Ex-Poly, rather than people pursuing a career in academia. Degree classification is less important in these cases.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.