The Student Room Group

National Probation Service Recruitment Process

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey don't worry sure all will be fine 😊

Original post by shell_xx_shell
I did my medical questionnaire over a week ago and heard nothing! I'm going with no news is good news! I have already had to give my notice in at work as my period is 12 weeks!
I would just love an email to say it's all going through keep waiting. It has been a waiting game all along. I know it will be worth it
Reply 61
Hi
I got my medical questionnaire yesterday and it was only a few questions on one page...thought would be more in depth! Did you guys get the same?
Cori

QUOTE=CoriUK;73785034]Hey don't worry sure all will be fine 😊
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else got an email stating that the start date for cohort 2 will now be in November?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CharlieEllis1989
Hey everyone.

I thought I would write a post about my experience with the NPS recruitment process and hopefully shed some light on what to expect from it, should you be considering applying.

Firstly, if you don't have a degree in Criminology or the Criminal Justice System, don't worry too much, they're looking for the right calibre of people, i.e. character, emotional intelligence, objectivity, information processing. A piece of paper that says 'I'm quite good at Law' doesn't move them. It may help in your application initially, but the assessment centre is really where they get to see if you're what they're looking for. So, relax, you have a chance.

Second, I came from a medical background and studied cardiology at Swansea University; although some of you might think that is irrelevant, what they want are candidates who can show they can handle pressure and people who have experience of working with others who exhibit challenging behaviour. In a hospital, emotions can be high and behaviour can vary, so if you have any experience of working in a hospital, or just directly with members of public where you are exposed to challenging behaviour, you have a chance.

However, being a Probation Service Officer or Probation Officer is not an easy job to have. It's pressure, and lots of it. Which leads me to the NPS Assessment Centre mentioned previously.

If you manage to get here, well done! It is a very difficult application process. The first step is an online application, including vetting. You will then be asked to answer a series of scenario-based questions, requiring you to use your analytical and problem solving skills. There will also be a question or two where you will be asked to write a report on a given set of information. If you successfully navigate through this, you will progress to the Online Situational Judgement Tests. These assess your ability to interpret information and also assess your team-working and observational skills. You are presented with 20 questions and have 30 minutes to complete the test. You do not have long on each question and there is a lot of information given to you, so look for the key points and choose the answer that YOU feel would be the most constructive, not what you think the assessors feel would be, YOU. If you're successful here you will be invited to the NPS Assessment Centre in London.

The NPS Assessment Centre consists of 3 parts:

1. A written exercise - you are assuming the role of a public sector organisation advisor and will be asked to produce a report with a quite substantial amount of information. You have 50 minutes to read through and then write your report.

2. A competency-based interview - this is timed and you will be asked 4-5 base questions, of which the interviewer will then lead off of your answers with further questions relating to your response.

3. An assessed group work exercise - once again you assume the role of working for an organisation and have to read through a series of cases, make notes, and then as a group, present your thoughts, concerns and recommendations for each. Assessors will be in the room taking notes on your contribution to the group work and the points made. *Don't be scared to point out things that others haven't - it might just get you a job*

This is a half-day assessment centre, which sounded odd to me considering what they want you to do in such a short space of time. But, that is the whole idea. They want you under pressure. There is very little time between each element of the assessment - so drink plenty of water, try and remain calm and be yourself :smile:

I recently had my Assessment Centre slot (13/01/2017) and I was offered a position as a PSO on 3rd of February.

I chose to write this post because I had seen a lot of negative posts about how it is near impossible to get into the Probation Service and that you will be 'extremely disappointed'. Yes, it's tough. But if it was easy everyone would do it. So just apply yourself properly, research the service and be yourself. If anyone would like to ask any further questions then PM me and i'll be happy to help.

Good Luck! :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi I just wondered how long did vetting take after being offered a position.
Reply 64
Hello, I’ve been offered a position for the pso the other day; regarding vetting if references don’t come back within a certain time will recruitment get in touch?
Original post by k-india
Hello, I’ve been offered a position for the pso the other day; regarding vetting if references don’t come back within a certain time will recruitment get in touch?

Yes they will. I’m Cohort 2 and vetting started on 25th August...I’m still waiting for a start date. Have patience...

They will ask you for any extra info they need but don’t ask them anything. They tell you nothing... no updates or anything.

Good luck
Reply 66
Hi all,

I have been offered a position as a PSO. I have requested to be placed in an office closer to home than the office originally allocated. Has anyone had to make a similar request and was this accepted?
Yes they will. I’m Cohort 2 and vetting started on 25th August...I’m still waiting for a start date. Have patience...

They will ask you for any extra info they need but don’t ask them anything. They tell you nothing... no updates or anything.

Good luck

Have you heard anything since the email saying our new start date would be in November?
Original post by AmyJWard
Have you heard anything since the email saying our new start date would be in November?

Nothing! We have a Facebook messenger group for cohort 2... are you in there?
Nothing! We have a Facebook messenger group for cohort 2... are you in there?

I'm not, don't suppose you could tell me on how to join it please?
Hi is anyone here still waiting to hear about a start date for Coventry? I got an e-mail saying it has been delayed until November but have not heard anything since. I have tried chasing to find out what stage my vetting is at and have had very little response. Today was supposed to be my original start date so feeling a bit disheartened by the whole process and am begining to panic a little about it! Thanks for your help Hj
Original post by Hjeffery88
Hi is anyone here still waiting to hear about a start date for Coventry? I got an e-mail saying it has been delayed until November but have not heard anything since. I have tried chasing to find out what stage my vetting is at and have had very little response. Today was supposed to be my original start date so feeling a bit disheartened by the whole process and am begining to panic a little about it! Thanks for your help Hj

YEYYYY! I’m waiting for a start date for Coventry!!! Do you use Facebook? Send me a link I’m inbox and I will add you to a message group for cohort 2
Reply 72
Is there a cohort 3 group?
Original post by k-india
Is there a cohort 3 group?
I am pqip intake 3 but I went for probation officer role rather than pso.
Reply 74
Sorry I meant facebook group for pso cohort 3!
Reply 75
HI I was successful for PQIP Intake 3 and start on 20/11/17. Is there anyone on here that’s also got through from the Midlands? I’m based in Birmingham:-)
Original post by LVF
HI I was successful for PQIP Intake 3 and start on 20/11/17. Is there anyone on here that’s also got through from the Midlands?
I’m based in Birmingham:-)

Not based in Birmingham but start 20th in Cardiff. Very excited
Reply 77
Original post by katiew2017
Not based in Birmingham but start 20th in Cardiff. Very excited

I’m nervous and excited at the same time. I know it’s going to be a really heavy workload. Have you had your vetting back? I’ve had my formal offer and my induction is on the Monday.. do you work in probation already? Sorry for all the questions I’m just glad to find someone who’s a new starter like me lol
Reply 78
Hello, I'm writing to enquiry if I would be eligible for the next intake of Probation Service Officers. I graduated from Swansea University last summer with a degree in Criminology and Social Policy. Since then I have completed a 3 month social enterprise internship with Women's Aid working alongside women who were suffering domestic violence, and have also been working full-time as an enforcement officer for the MOJ. I have applied to volunteer at the local prison, and i'm actively seeking other experience with working with vulnerable/challenging behaviour Just wondering for those who have been successful or even those who have just applied.. what counts as an acceptable level of work? and where have people got this experience. My degree provides me with all the modules, but volunteering is hard around my working hours and I'm wondering how extensive the experience needs to me.
Original post by LVF
I’m nervous and excited at the same time. I know it’s going to be a really heavy workload. Have you had your vetting back? I’ve had my formal offer and my induction is on the Monday.. do you work in probation already? Sorry for all the questions I’m just glad to find someone who’s a new starter like me lol

Do not be silly. It is good to find another new starter. As far as I am aware all my vetting is done. I have just received my new starter timetable and all that. Have you done your acceptance of the job etc? No do not work in probation already. I am fresh out of uni. I have been volunteering since last April with my local youth offending team. I am a bit nervous to but looking forward to the challenge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending