The Student Room Group

National Probation Service Recruitment Process

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaz987
anybody had a 'yes' yet ? still heard nothing !

They said the end of February for a further update.
Reply 781
ah just because a few people have had a rejection e mail
Original post by kaz987
ah just because a few people have had a rejection e mail

Hopefully if not received one of them yet then it may be more positive news 🙏😀
Reply 783
I'm hoping so !
Original post by kaz987
I'm hoping so !

They said they do it regionally. So I assume North West rejections went out today
Reply 785
ohhhhhh ... well fingers crossed all the same.
Have you checked your application page? The notification goes there before the email :smile:
Reply 787
ooh nope I'll have a look x
Anyone heard a ‘yes’ for the north east applications?
To those requesting feedback:

To my knowledge, if you already work for Probation, you get feedback. However, those that do not, no feedback is given, due to the volume of people in the same position.
Original post by jwl1995
Ah I just heard back and wasn’t successful. Completed a Criminology degre (2:1), an MSc in Criminal Justice and Policing, volunteered with ex offenders, drug addicts and the homeless for over 2 years and have a side-job for income. Not really sure what other experience is necessary in order to be placed on a “training” scheme. Would like to know how they mark the competency questions yet never (on the application) asked for a list of work experience/grades/real life competencies/references? Anyone any idea what more I could do?

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful.

My advice - don’t let this put you off! Keep applying! Took me 4/5 attempts before I got a place, & I’ve just completed the training programme!
Original post by jwl1995
Ah I just heard back and wasn’t successful. Completed a Criminology degre (2:1), an MSc in Criminal Justice and Policing, volunteered with ex offenders, drug addicts and the homeless for over 2 years and have a side-job for income. Not really sure what other experience is necessary in order to be placed on a “training” scheme. Would like to know how they mark the competency questions yet never (on the application) asked for a list of work experience/grades/real life competencies/references? Anyone any idea what more I could do?

Well if you didn't get through, I very much doubt I will as I don't have any of that experience. Seems kind of crazy you didn't get further, given that wealth of experience.

My application says it's still under consideration, but I'm not holding my breath now.
Original post by Everglow
Well if you didn't get through, I very much doubt I will as I don't have any of that experience. Seems kind of crazy you didn't get further, given that wealth of experience.

My application says it's still under consideration, but I'm not holding my breath now.

I spoke to a probation officer at my volunteering and he said it could be anything including that North West was on a “low” recruitment, and there may have been a lot of current POs applying who don’t require as much 1:1 attention and training. Doesn’t seem fair though when ultimately they claim it’s a ‘training scheme’ yet don’t seem willing to train Unless you’re already seen as fully capable.. ☹️ Hopefully you’ll do fine! I genuinely don’t know how the competencies are marked. Where have you previously worked? I send so much good luck to you!
Original post by jwl1995
I spoke to a probation officer at my volunteering and he said it could be anything including that North West was on a “low” recruitment, and there may have been a lot of current POs applying who don’t require as much 1:1 attention and training. Doesn’t seem fair though when ultimately they claim it’s a ‘training scheme’ yet don’t seem willing to train Unless you’re already seen as fully capable.. ☹️ Hopefully you’ll do fine! I genuinely don’t know how the competencies are marked. Where have you previously worked? I send so much good luck to you!

With that experience I'd have thought you would be what they're looking for. Seems more likely that North West is on a low recruitment or something, because you look like a strong candidate to me. I've applied for South West and South Central, so who knows what the state of affairs is like down this end of the country. My experience after university has only been in retail and hospitality so far, unfortunately. Although if I fail to find new work before the summer, I plan to take up some volunteering to help the community and boost my CV. Thank you very much - I'll let you know if and when I hear anything. They said they would be in contact before the end of February, so it could be any day now. :h:
With that experience I'd have thought you would be what they're looking for. Seems more likely that North West is on a low recruitment or something, because you look like a strong candidate to me. I've applied for South West and South Central, so who knows what the state of affairs is like down this end of the country. My experience after university has only been in retail and hospitality so far, unfortunately. Although if I fail to find new work before the summer, I plan to take up some volunteering to help the community and boost my CV. Thank you very much - I'll let you know if and when I hear anything. They said they would be in contact before the end of February, so it could be any day now. :h:

Both are valuable experience though! I work in retail too and the customers are often harder to deal with than my clients at volunteering.. so it’s definitely good experience. It’s just a shame the four questions didn’t really ask about things like that. I felt they didn’t even care about previous grades, just the degree. Yeah, I got an email saying it was still under consideration and then heard back again two hours later. I’m quite glad this email came earlier than expected as gives me a few extra weeks to sort something else out.
Reply 795
nothing and I'm from Leeds .. still 'under consideration'

Any particular office in the SWSC you’re looking to get a placement? Or are you not too fussed?
Reply 797
I just received an email .. I have performed very well on application, but there are limited spaces at assessment centres so I am on a hold list until a space becomes available ! Just have had thousands of applications!
Original post by DancinBallerina
Any particular office in the SWSC you’re looking to get a placement? Or are you not too fussed?

Not fussed at all - would just love to get a place somewhere. :h:

Original post by jwl1995
Both are valuable experience though! I work in retail too and the customers are often harder to deal with than my clients at volunteering.. so it’s definitely good experience. It’s just a shame the four questions didn’t really ask about things like that. I felt they didn’t even care about previous grades, just the degree. Yeah, I got an email saying it was still under consideration and then heard back again two hours later. I’m quite glad this email came earlier than expected as gives me a few extra weeks to sort something else out.

Yeah that's true. It's a shame they didn't give you more of a chance. Good luck with whatever you do next anyway!

Original post by kaz987
I just received an email .. I have performed very well on application, but there are limited spaces at assessment centres so I am on a hold list until a space becomes available ! Just have had thousands of applications!

I've just had that same email. I wonder how big the on-hold lists are or if we're likely to have any success with them.
Reply 799
not sure but I know competition is fierce... just don't give up..fortune favours the brave ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending