Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Probation Service Recruitment Process Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lacrymosa146)
    Do you know what the chances of a position are? Surely they can only place people where they know there will be qualified PO vacancies? Little misleading otherwise.

I don't know what to do now as I could only really afford to take the pay drop for the 15 months
    I would like to think we will all get a po Position as long as our work standards is up to scratch. As it costs them thousands to train us all and pay for the Probation qualification which if we funded ourselves at uni would cost loads.

If it gives you peace of mind we do remain on our current contracts until we get a PO position but I completely understand what you are saying especially if you are taking a pay cut. I’m not so in a different situation to you.

Maybe seek advice from friends and family x

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I wrote on here a while back (but forgot my password hence I'm not Scoobert1).

I'm starting at Taunton office on 20th November but haven't had my timetable or modules etc yet!!
    Also, does anyone know if it's possible to transfer? I live in Exeter and would really like to swap if it's possible! Not to be ungrateful, just think the hour commute might kill me off eventually.
    Well done to all who got in and all who got to the assessment, it was a bloody long slog!!

Any advice would be great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I haven’t ither all ive had is my induction day schedule. Also it’s quite late for an office swap but you could always ask. I think they see an hours commute as reasonable although I know what you mean I wouldn’t be fancy it tbf.

ReputationRep:
    I have not had my modules yet. All I have had is my start date, my training timetable of where i need to go for training days and my starter pack for criminal justice learning I think it is. I would not ask for transfer, maybe get your foot in the door first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobert1)
    Hi all, I wrote on here a while back (but forgot my password hence I'm not Scoobert1).

I'm starting at Taunton office on 20th November but haven't had my timetable or modules etc yet!!
    Also, does anyone know if it's possible to transfer? I live in Exeter and would really like to swap if it's possible! Not to be ungrateful, just think the hour commute might kill me off eventually.
    Well done to all who got in and all who got to the assessment, it was a bloody long slog!!

Any advice would be great, thanks
    Hi,

I live in Taunton and would kill for a job there! Currently on a hold list & in limbo. 😕 I am PSO Cohort 3, which is supposed to start on 8th January 2018, but the nearest they have available for me is Southampton - 2 hr drive ☹️. I guess you were the cohort before me?

Please let me know if you get anywhere with transfering. Tell them there is someone who can slot straight in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattom)
    Hi,

I live in Taunton and would kill for a job there! Currently on a hold list & in limbo. 😕 I am PSO Cohort 3, which is supposed to start on 8th January 2018, but the nearest they have available for me is Southampton - 2 hr drive ☹️. I guess you were the cohort before me?

Please let me know if you get anywhere with transfering. Tell them there is someone who can slot straight in!
    I think the 20Nov starters are for PQIP x

Just reading this thread....currently on PQIP intake 2a. Currently 3 months in to the programme.

Happy to answer any questions, providing I know the answers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DancinBallerina)
      Just reading this thread....currently on PQIP intake 2a. Currently 3 months in to the programme.

Happy to answer any questions, providing I know the answers.
      How amazing. Where to are you based. I am about to start next week. Is it how you imagined. Is there a lot of written work for pqip part x

(Original post by katiew2017)
        How amazing. Where to are you based. I am about to start next week. Is it how you imagined. Is there a lot of written work for pqip part x
        Based South West South Central...nr Bristol.
        Yes, it is what I envisaged. Fought long & hard to get a place after many applications!!

I will say this, be prepared for information overload!!! There is A LOT to take on board, so be organised, & plan plan plan!!! I cannot stress that enough. Also, use your timely wisely! If you're quiet, work through a workbook, shadow colleagues as much as you can, & ask lots of questions.

There's a fair bit of written work but that's part & parcel of the role. Emails / reports / letters, referrals & etc. The PQIP academic side doesn't officially start until month 6! You have to successfully pass the first 6 months (a unit and a 1/2 of the VQ) before starting the university part. And if you have an outstanding module to complete (i.e. Rehabilitation of Offenders), that also has to be completed & passed before the academic part starts.

Your Practice Tutor Assessor (PTA) / training will explain everything to you but so far I'm really enjoying it :-).

ReputationRep:
        I am so excited to get stuck in. I have wanted to do this job for 2 years. I was lucky there was an intake just as I was finishing my final year in uni. I have 1 module I need to do think it was the rehabilitation one. I miss learning so much. So looking forward to getting back into that whilst working.

ReputationRep:
        Congratulations! Glad you’re enjoying it. I’m going through vetting now, my start date is in January, all being well. I’ve got a couple of questions if I can ask please?

Firstly, I’ve just completed my health questionnaire - did you hear anything from the vetting team between completing that and getting your written offer? Did you have to do anything else?

Secondly, (and more interestingly!) what does an average day look like?

Thanks for your time.

(Original post by Fadeaway)
          Congratulations! Glad you’re enjoying it. I’m going through vetting now, my start date is in January, all being well. I’ve got a couple of questions if I can ask please?

Firstly, I’ve just completed my health questionnaire - did you hear anything from the vetting team between completing that and getting your written offer? Did you have to do anything else?

Secondly, (and more interestingly!) what does an average day look like?

Thanks for your time.
          Thank you .

1) Prior to PQIP, I was in a different role in the NPS, so I didn't have to do the health questionnaire again. However, when I was in the process of joining over 2 years ago, I simply filled out the form, and that was it. I never heard anything from the vetting team. But you've got to remember, they are dealing with thousands and thousands of applications / contracts / assessment centres and etc. So I think they do the minimum once you've been offered a position, and only if a problem occurs will they then be in touch.

2) Average day? No day is the same!! You could have a reasonably quiet day one day, and the next your phone is constantly ringing, emails are filling your mailbox, and you've got various bits and pieces to complete.

It is a busy busy role, which takes no prisoners, so it's important to plan plan plan and use your time wisely!! And I cannot stress this enough, but keep on top of your workbooks!! You'll see what I mean when you see your timetable, plus it'll help you with your job!!!

(Original post by katiew2017)
            I am so excited to get stuck in. I have wanted to do this job for 2 years. I was lucky there was an intake just as I was finishing my final year in uni. I have 1 module I need to do think it was the rehabilitation one. I miss learning so much. So looking forward to getting back into that whilst working.
            It will give you a headache with information overload, but it is a very very interesting role.

I hope your first day goes well

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by DancinBallerina)
            Thank you .

1) Prior to PQIP, I was in a different role in the NPS, so I didn't have to do the health questionnaire again. However, when I was in the process of joining over 2 years ago, I simply filled out the form, and that was it. I never heard anything from the vetting team. But you've got to remember, they are dealing with thousands and thousands of applications / contracts / assessment centres and etc. So I think they do the minimum once you've been offered a position, and only if a problem occurs will they then be in touch.

2) Average day? No day is the same!! You could have a reasonably quiet day one day, and the next your phone is constantly ringing, emails are filling your mailbox, and you've got various bits and pieces to complete.

It is a busy busy role, which takes no prisoners, so it's important to plan plan plan and use your time wisely!! And I cannot stress this enough, but keep on top of your workbooks!! You'll see what I mean when you see your timetable, plus it'll help you with your job!!!

Thank again for the reply.

Like many others, I can’t wait to get stuck in. I’m under no illusions that it’s going to be a laid back job haha so i’m looking forward to the challenge. I’m glad that no two days are the same, as routine gets a bit tedious after a bit.

How long is the typical day then? Do you find that you’re office based most of the time or are you on the move regularly? I’m used to long days at present anyway, but I’m just curious.

Apologies if the questions are a bit inane, but you’re my only credible source of information for now! Haha

ReputationRep:
            Hi just wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I was given a conditional offer of a PSO role with a provisional start date of 8th January 2018. I have completed all the forms sent out by vetting and also a medical questionnaire through OH assist. I have not heard anything else since then and it’s been more than 3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is to be expected & what the next steps are following the medical questionnaire. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Gemsbelle)
            Hi just wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I was given a conditional offer of a PSO role with a provisional start date of 8th January 2018. I have completed all the forms sent out by vetting and also a medical questionnaire through OH assist. I have not heard anything else since then and it’s been more than 3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is to be expected & what the next steps are following the medical questionnaire. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks
            hi.
            Yes this is normal. Take it as no news is good news. They take ages. My vetting took 8 weeks. Hope that helos

ReputationRep:
            Hi, I'm currently waiting to hear back to see if I was successful at the assessment day in Manchester on 03/11/17 for PSO cohort 3. One of my friends received an email on Monday to say he hadn't been successful but I have yet to hear anything. Does anyone know if they contact you by telephone or email if you are successful? Thanks

ReputationRep:
            They contacted me by phone and confirmed by email. They will leave a message if you miss it. I had to wait a month from assessment day to phone call.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by mattom)
            They contacted me by phone and confirmed by email. They will leave a message if you miss it. I had to wait a month from assessment day to phone call.
            I received a call from an unknown number On Monday, the same unknown number contacted me on the 1st to confirm I was attending the assessment day. I was abroad when they rang on Monday and my phone automatically rejected it. So no message could be left.... typical! I will just have to be patient. Thanks for the reply 😁 have you started yet? If so, do you like the role?

ReputationRep:
            They always called me from 0845 074 3782 (their standard number).
            I am in the frustrating position to have been offered a job & am going theough vetting etc, but there is not a vacancy near enough to me so I am on a hold list and just have to wait and hope. ☹️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.