The Student Room Group

National Probation Service Recruitment Process

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mattom
They always called me from 0845 074 3782 (their standard number).
I am in the frustrating position to have been offered a job & am going theough vetting etc, but there is not a vacancy near enough to me so I am on a hold list and just have to wait and hope. ☹️

Oh that's tough and so frustrating, is there no way to commute for now? I'm just hoping to find out soon then at least I know what direction I'm going in. I hope everything works out for you and you enjoy your role... eventually 😣 but well done for being successful 😁
Original post by Kenyon306
Oh that's tough and so frustrating, is there no way to commute for now? I'm just hoping to find out soon then at least I know what direction I'm going in. I hope everything works out for you and you enjoy your role... eventually 😣 but well done for being successful 😁

Well I've just got my email and I passed but I'm in the same boat as you... no place available! Typical, I can'
Wait to get stuck in to something challenging 😏
Hi, I'm currently waiting to hear back to see if I was successful at the assessment day in Manchester on 03/11/17 for PSO cohort 3. One of my friends received an email on Monday to say he hadn't been successful but I have yet to hear anything. Does anyone know if they contact you by telephone or email if you are successful? Thanks

I was at that assessment day and got a call on Friday saying that I was successful. I haven't had any emails or vetting through yet though.
Original post by Fadeaway
Thank again for the reply.

Like many others, I can’t wait to get stuck in. I’m under no illusions that it’s going to be a laid back job haha so i’m looking forward to the challenge. I’m glad that no two days are the same, as routine gets a bit tedious after a bit.

How long is the typical day then? Do you find that you’re office based most of the time or are you on the move regularly? I’m used to long days at present anyway, but I’m just curious.

Apologies if the questions are a bit inane, but you’re my only credible source of information for now! Haha

My day usually starts between 9am - 9.30am, and my finish times vary, it all depends on my workload. Sometimes I finish early, i.e 4pm - 4.30, sometimes a bit later, i.e. 5pm - 6pm
At the moment, I am working 'flat out' to get a lot of things completed before Christmas and annual leave. I have a lot of training going on so I am in / out of the office, plus I am still trying to 'shadow' my colleagues as much as possible, i.e attend MAPPA / MARAC meetings, 1 to 1 supervision, home visits and etc. But this is as and when and trying to fit it around my own caseload. I am also doing a lot of things independently, so visiting the local Approved Premises, going to Magistrates and Crown Court (I previously did Admin based in the Courts, so have an idea, but I now have a different 'hat on', so I've gone back and now see things from the view point of an Offender Manager.

A lot of it is down to you . . , with the support of your Practice Tutor Assessor . . you are in charge of your day / diary, so make use of your time and plan wisely. Even though it is crazy busy, I am still enjoying :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DancinBallerina
My day usually starts between 9am - 9.30am, and my finish times vary, it all depends on my workload. Sometimes I finish early, i.e 4pm - 4.30, sometimes a bit later, i.e. 5pm - 6pm
At the moment, I am working 'flat out' to get a lot of things completed before Christmas and annual leave. I have a lot of training going on so I am in / out of the office, plus I am still trying to 'shadow' my colleagues as much as possible, i.e attend MAPPA / MARAC meetings, 1 to 1 supervision, home visits and etc. But this is as and when and trying to fit it around my own caseload. I am also doing a lot of things independently, so visiting the local Approved Premises, going to Magistrates and Crown Court (I previously did Admin based in the Courts, so have an idea, but I now have a different 'hat on', so I've gone back and now see things from the view point of an Offender Manager.

A lot of it is down to you . . , with the support of your Practice Tutor Assessor . . you are in charge of your day / diary, so make use of your time and plan wisely. Even though it is crazy busy, I am still enjoying :smile:.

Thank you. It all sounds very interesting, and I quite enjoy being kept busy so at least I know it won’t be boring.

I received my formal offer yesterday and my start date is 8th January so I can finally relax! It’s only taken just over four weeks since receiving my verbal offer so I’m quite shocked really, considering other people have had issues with waiting.

Thanks for the advice!
Thank you. It all sounds very interesting, and I quite enjoy being kept busy so at least I know it won’t be boring.

I received my formal offer yesterday and my start date is 8th January so I can finally relax! It’s only taken just over four weeks since receiving my verbal offer so I’m quite shocked really, considering other people have had issues with waiting.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm gutted I have wait on a hold list until something becomes available near me. I really want to get stuck into something more challenging! Keep us posted how things are going for you once you start in January! Wishing you all the best for your future 😁
Original post by DancinBallerina

Sounds just as I imagine. Really hope I'm not on a hold list for months and months, because from what you've said, I like the idea of a flat out day to day role. Interesting and challenging...I can't wait 😁 wishing you all the best for your future and thanks for the insight take care 😁
Original post by Taylor C
I was at that assessment day and got a call on Friday saying that I was successful. I haven't had any emails or vetting through yet though.

Have you had an email yet? I didn't get a call as I was abroad so maybe that's why?
I'm gutted I have wait on a hold list until something becomes available near me. I really want to get stuck into something more challenging! Keep us posted how things are going for you once you start in January! Wishing you all the best for your future 😁

Thank you very much, best of luck to you too. It must be so frustrating, but look at it this way, you’ve done the hardest part, so hopefully something comes up for you soon. Have they not even given you the option of commuting a bit further?
Thank you very much, best of luck to you too. It must be so frustrating, but look at it this way, you’ve done the hardest part, so hopefully something comes up for you soon. Have they not even given you the option of commuting a bit further?

I'm going to see how it goes maybe a month or two after vetting is completed then I will contact them to see if I can travel. It takes 30 mins + on a clear run just to get to the motorway so I'm reluctant to travel too far it could end up 4 or 5 hours travel each day. Keep us posted though! Really interesting hearing what the job entails 😁
Hello, I start my PSO position at the start of January but I haven’t had my timetable as of yet.
I have a couple of questions to ask if anyone can answer that would be great! Do you have to take work home such as reports etc? And for the induction day do they tell you what you need to have on you for the role, diaries, planners etc? Cheers!
Original post by k-india
Hello, I start my PSO position at the start of January but I haven’t had my timetable as of yet.
I have a couple of questions to ask if anyone can answer that would be great! Do you have to take work home such as reports etc? And for the induction day do they tell you what you need to have on you for the role, diaries, planners etc? Cheers!

Hey,

I started this week, you won't be taking anything home as it's all private and sensitive information. I would suggest you bring a pen and notepad to get you started and you will be given a diary for next year!

And Congratulations!!
Original post by Saf02
Hey,

I started this week, you won't be taking anything home as it's all private and sensitive information. I would suggest you bring a pen and notepad to get you started and you will be given a diary for next year!

And Congratulations!!

Brilliant, thank you! :smile: I hope it goes well for you! What have your hours been like if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by k-india
Brilliant, thank you! :smile: I hope it goes well for you! What have your hours been like if you don’t mind me asking?

Thank You..I have been doing 9-5 at the moment they are like the core hours but you can switch hours around if necessary and lots of training days as well.
Original post by k-india

I'm doing PQIP, similar to PSO.

YOu definitely do NOT take work home. As someone above mentioned, it is sensitive / private information. If you are caught doing so, kiss Bon voyage to your job!! As for timetable, you'll be given this when you start.
My advice - enjoy the free time you have now as it'll get very busy, with lots of information to take on board when you do start.
(edited 6 years ago)

Thanks for the advice!

No problem. Always happy to help where I can :-).
Hope you enjoy it when your role commences.
Hello all,
I have read something rather worrying.

"I've been reliably informed this week that within CGM Interswerve that anyone who undertakes the Pquip qualification will no longer be seconded to NPS for high risk offender training" + "Staff on Pquip have also been asked to sign a contract, with terms on it such as if you fail you have to pay back 4K, they will also not have the freedom of movement to the NPS. They were asked to sign these contracts 6 months after starting, it's now in a solicitors hands, they've been told not to sign"

Is anyone able to confirm if this is true? I was under the impression that if successful for the PQIP, you would work for the NPS and not CRCs? Also, I had no idea you had to pay £4k back if you failed?!

Sorry for the negative post. I just need to know I'm making the right decision by applying x
Original post by username3460340
Hello all,
I have read something rather worrying.

"I've been reliably informed this week that within CGM Interswerve that anyone who undertakes the Pquip qualification will no longer be seconded to NPS for high risk offender training" + "Staff on Pquip have also been asked to sign a contract, with terms on it such as if you fail you have to pay back 4K, they will also not have the freedom of movement to the NPS. They were asked to sign these contracts 6 months after starting, it's now in a solicitors hands, they've been told not to sign"

Is anyone able to confirm if this is true? I was under the impression that if successful for the PQIP, you would work for the NPS and not CRCs? Also, I had no idea you had to pay £4k back if you failed?!

Sorry for the negative post. I just need to know I'm making the right decision by applying x

This is a load of rubbish! I'm NPS PQIP, & I've not had to sign anything of that nature. Also, if you fail, you fail. There is NOTHING in the contract that indicates you have to pay £4K back.

If you have concerns I'd advise you contact the recruitment help desk. :-)

EDIT: read the FAQ here, will confirm your query regarding failing.....http://www.traintobeaprobationofficer.com/faqs/
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,Just found this thread after trying to find some answers about the typical waiting time for the vetting process.I am on cohort 3 due to start 8th January, had my verbal conditional offer 7 weeks ago for a position in South West and South Central, filled in my vetting questions and the OH form. Must of put something on the OH form they want to discuss as have a telephone appointment with one of them on the 18th.I am just a little worried now as I do not want this to slow down me starting because like a lot of you on here, I just want to get started and get stuck in. Think I have been quite lucky compared to a few people on here with my placement as its only going to be a 10 Min drive or 30 Min walk.Does anyone know if there are multiple starters for each placement or would I be the only new person starting there?Thanks
Original post by TheMuppet46
Hi,Just found this thread after trying to find some answers about the typical waiting time for the vetting process.I am on cohort 3 due to start 8th January, had my verbal conditional offer 7 weeks ago for a position in South West and South Central, filled in my vetting questions and the OH form. Must of put something on the OH form they want to discuss as have a telephone appointment with one of them on the 18th.I am just a little worried now as I do not want this to slow down me starting because like a lot of you on here, I just want to get started and get stuck in. Think I have been quite lucky compared to a few people on here with my placement as its only going to be a 10 Min drive or 30 Min walk.Does anyone know if there are multiple starters for each placement or would I be the only new person starting there?Thanks

Heya,

Congratulations!! Don't worry about the call there have been a few problems with Oh Assist so they did have to call people up..every office is different but I was the only person starting at my office! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending