Can you have dispositional and situation explanations for conformity? Watch

Boo_Ayres13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am just revising for my psychology mock planning some essays and I am planning for a potential title of " outline and evaluate explanations of conformity"

I am aware of the stock, normative and informative influences and the asch/sheirff's studies however I was wondering , is it okay to draw in situational factors eg group size et, task difficulty as well as disposistional factors such a gender, authoritarian personality? as you explain why people may or may not conform?
Boo_Ayres13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
also could you potentially talk about the effects of de individuation ? for example, in zimbardo's study had the guards not worn the glasses and had been clearly identifiable would they have conformed to the mean guard role, also in lynch mobs, i cant remember its name but theres a study that found the greater no of people in the lynch mob, could you argue that more people conformed to the group violence in the larger group because they were deindividuated. and potentially even reference the kkk as their members were deindividuated by their hoods so could this potentially be an reason as to why they conformed? (if they had no masks and could clearly be identified would they have done what they did?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (406)
43.7%
No (97)
10.44%
I'm not old enough (426)
45.86%

Watched Threads