Turn on thread page Beta

Unfair bias against private schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Errr what's in P1 then?
    And yes you can into UCL with grades similar to that. I know somebody who didn't get 5 As at higher, but was asked for one B at AH to get into UCL and that was for the subject he was going to study (well is going to study since he got his B). I'll just go check what he got in his highers.
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...upe3oMsQ9U.pdf Page 30

What was the subject?

ReputationRep:
    French with Business Management I think. Something like that anyway. The B he needed was in French.

EDIT how the h*** do I work this pdf? I don't understand it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...upe3oMsQ9U.pdf

Page44 is the beginning of A2 puremaths on OCR.
    Based on that the courses appear different but fairly equal. Hyperbolics and groups are not in AH, but aside from induction I see very little proofs/number theory in A-level, which feature in 2 of the 3 AH units.

Based on the specimen papers on that site, although you sit more of them, the actual questions in the exams are far more straightforward. This appears to be reflected in the time given - you get 1 hour 20 to do 60 marks, we get 3 hours to do 100 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    French with Business Management I think. Something like that anyway. The B he needed was in French.

EDIT how the h*** do I work this pdf? I don't understand it!

French offer is BBC at UCL.

Not sure what viewer you're using, if you can get into it, goto page 30 and you'll find a P1+ specification.

ReputationRep:
    French offer is BBC at UCL.

Not sure what viewer you're using, if you can get into it, goto page 30 and you'll find a P1+ specification.
    So he was asked for just a B, while an A level person would have got BBC? Surely this shows Highers are more valued?

ReputationRep:
    Higher maths is pure1 + exponentials + circles. I think that's like 1.5-2 modules. If you did 5 subjects and they all contained that much content, that would be (liberal estimate) 10 AS modules, which would be just over 1.5 Alevels. I would sincerely argue that that does not equal AAA. Can you get into say UCL with AAAAA at higher and no AHs?
    And um, wait a minute, have you forgotten Highers are 1 year?

So, "just over 1.5 A levels" in 1 year = "a bit more over 3 A-levels" in two, if you kept at the same rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Based on that the courses appear different but fairly equal. Hyperbolics and groups are not in AH, but aside from induction I see very little proofs/number theory in A-level, which feature in 2 of the 3 AH units.

Based on the specimen papers on that site, although you sit more of them, the actual questions in the exams are far more straightforward. This appears to be reflected in the time given - you get 1 hour 20 to do 60 marks, we get 3 hours to do 100 marks.
    Cheers

The distribution of marks doesn't say that much, does it? Our marks are worth less, sure, but this effect will disappear when you compare percentages. In my economics exam you had 2 hours to get 45 marks. Doesn't mean that economics is harder. Do you have a specimen AH maths paper I could see? That is the only way to compare the difficultly of the actual questions.

ReputationRep:
    And um, wait a minute, have you forgotten Highers are 1 year?

So, "just over 1.5 A levels" in 1 year = "a bit more over 3 A-levels" in two, if you kept at the same rate?
    Yes. And funnily, that's the standard in England too We do just over 3 Alevels.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

The distribution of marks doesn't say that much, does it? Our marks are worth less, sure, but this effect will disappear when you compare percentages. In my economics exam you had 2 hours to get 45 marks. Doesn't mean that economics is harder. Do you have a specimen AH maths paper I could see? That is the only way to compare the difficultly of the actual questions.
    Also, it's important to remember that a harder paper does not mean harder to gain an A grade on. You can compare topics ect. all you like but it still doesn't show that it is harder to get an A on an AH than an A level. You would have to look into specific papers and the grade boundaries to find that out.
    I do not know a lot about the AHs compared to A levels, I'm just pointing out that the syllabus isn't the only thing that makes a qualification worth more than another.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

SQA website (www.sqa.org.uk), left hand side under downloads, then select maths from the drop down menu. I thought we had established that you can't just compare a paper without having sat the course. Seems to be what most of you are arguing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

I'll see if theres one on the SQA site, but given that it's only a 4 year old qualification it may be non existant (or 4 years out of date).

It is out of date. Stats/Num analysis/Mechanics are now as part of Applied maths and in a seperate paper, so the up to date paper should consist of sections A and B only.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/Maths.AH.SQP.pdf (sections A and B)

ReputationRep:
    There definitely is one there.

ReputationRep:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/Maths.AH.SQP.pdf (sections A and B)
    The style of question is absolutely identical to P4-6 questions! What's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    This is completely unrelated, but Calum how long is an AH maths paper? Is it two and a half hours?

ReputationRep:
    The style of question is absolutely identical to P4-6 questions! What's the difference?
    If that was really the case we wouldn't get 3 hours for it.

Acalia - 3 hours, virtually everything else is 2.5.

ReputationRep:
    If that was really the case we wouldn't get 3 hours for it.

Acalia - 3 hours, virtually everything else is 2.5.
    How does the time impact the style and difficulty of questions?

We have 3 modules, so that's 4 hours of exams.

ReputationRep:
    I said completely unrelated
    Now get back to arguing over petty things!

ReputationRep:
    How does the time impact the style and difficulty of questions?

We have 3 modules, so that's 4 hours of exams.
    Because harder questions take more time. To keep to time you do 45 marks an hour, while we do 33. Unless Scots are just unusually slow, I would suggest our papers must be harder!

Oh, and add the fact that we only get the one, covering the whole lot in one go! That specimen paper you saw would determine your grade for the whole years work!

ReputationRep:
    Because harder questions take more time. To keep to time you do 45 marks an hour, while we do 33. Unless Scots are just unusually slow, I would suggest our papers must be harder!
    Did I not demonstrate that this is a load of rubbish? If I took an english exam, and halved the number of marks available.
    Ie

if it was "1 mark for getting XYZ and 1 mark for PQR" just said "1 mark for XYZ and PQR" ... has the exam become twice as hard?

And quite frankly, looking at the questions on an A2 pure paper and those on an AH paper, it's perfectly clear that they're very similar in difficultly.

I'm off. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or has this discussion got a bit out of hand...?

Can I just add that my biology teacher gave out A-level support materials for us (where the course content overlapped) and the level (if not style) of questions was about the same.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.