Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online Grooming Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think there isn't much of an awareness on online grooming on TSR. Online grooming is process in which a predator uses to gain a child's trust. Online Grooming is a serious issue that can affect anyone around you. Research indicates that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually victimized before adulthood.

Warning signs

1) Secrecy, especially about Internet activity.
    2) Suspicious new contact information in their cell phone.
    3) Loss of interest in real-life friends or distance from family.
    4) Changes screen or turns of computer when a adult comes into the room.
    5) Strange names in their social networking “friends list”.
    6) Have new things such as clothes or mobile phones that they can't or won't explain.

Online predators will always agree with you, stalk you online, try to make you feel special, try to turn you against others, offer you gifts, ask you to lie and make you think what they're doing is right.

Staying safe online

1) Avoid using suggestive screen names and photos.
    2) If someone tries to flatter you online be wary.
    3) Never arrange to meet with someone you met online. If you do then please Facetime/Skype them before doing so. If they make any excuses then block them.
    4) Install Parental Control Software
    5) Don't share personal details.
    6) Parents can regularly check the online communities their children are using such as TSR and Whatsapp.

If you ever feel you are being groomed online immediately block them and feel free to tell an adult. If any of you are worried about photos or video you have already shared with someone, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF https://www.iwf.org.uk/) can help you.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    preach xxx removing this thread means you stand for grooming
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Blocking is very important, do not reply in any way.

If this happens on TSR, make sure you inform AtCT as well with the screenshots. Of course, tell an adult about it in real life as well as this is very serious.
    • Political Ambassador

Great idea Sarah! There should be more people aware of these things that happen on TSR too, there's no point in trying to hide them.

Be safe kids. :afraid:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this and cannot stress this enough, we live in a digital world where social media is accessible, children are growing up faster and parents are unaware of their children's whereabouts. Staying safe is one of the most important things, it is so easy to be groomed by someone who may be trustworthy but has other intentions. I urge everyone to follow this to stay safe because anything can happen at any time.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well said.
    This is an important issue that should be addressed, so thank you Sarah
    Online grooming can happen anywhere, from Facebook to TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    preach xxx removing this thread means you stand for grooming
    PROSM :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Great idea Sarah! There should be more people aware of these things that happen on TSR too, there's no point in trying to hide them.

Be safe kids. :afraid:
    Ty. It's happening way too often on social networking sites such as TSR.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Posted 8 minutes ago, has 12 reps

Wow :lol:

I do agree with the overall message, though I would like to accentuate privacy and sharing personal information in particular. Having a picture of yourself as your avatar when you are 13 could easily lead to such a predator flirting with you, and sharing too much information is never good; it is preferrable to keep your address, real email, and so forth secret to anyone you meet online unless they have proven trustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    Preach it Sarah. 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I agree with this and cannot stress this enough, we live in a digital world where social media is accessible, children are growing up faster and parents are unaware of their children's whereabouts. Staying safe is one of the most important things, it is so easy to be groomed by someone who may be trustworthy but has other intentions. I urge everyone to follow this to stay safe because anything can happen at any time.
    Preach

The predators usually approach the vulnerable and try to make them feel special. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well said :yep::hugs:

I'm glad I didn't have the internet at home and no social network accounts until I was 15, which seems almost unheard of now as children are growing up faster every year which people like child groomers can take advantage of. Great tips have been mentioned so far such as if you are under 16 - don't use your real name or pic, don't mention exactly what town you live etc. I was groomed at 15 by a man who worked at the radio station I done voluntary work at and although I never met him in person, he managed to get my email address and mobile number and started sending me sexual messages on MSN and told me he knew where I lived, threatened me and things like that. I blocked him and showed the radio manager the messages and he got sacked and that was the end of it but it could have been a lot worse. Blocking, changing your email address/mobile number and reporting it to a trustworthy adult is the best way to go if you are ever in this situation.

It can happen on any site and no site is safe from it. If you ever experience any messages of a grooming or sexual nature from anyone on TSR, please report it to me or another CA/ST. Don't feel you have to put up with any advances like that. Its unacceptable. No site is 100% safe from grooming but we want our users to feel as safe as possible on here.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What inspired you to make this exactly saraxh?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very well said, this is an important issue and raising awareness is absolutely vital to making sure that innocent people don't fall victim to the dangers of online grooming.

On a purple note, TSR takes things like these very seriously and UWS is right in saying that you should go straight to AtCT if you feel in any way uncomfortable with someone and their behaviour. The CT will take your concerns extremely seriously and will do everything they can to keep you and the many others on this site safe.

I must ask, however, that we try not to discuss particular members as there are procedures for this kind of thing. I hope that's OK. Great thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    I must ask, however, that we try not to discuss particular members as there are procedures for this kind of thing. I hope that's OK. Great thread!
    Sorry
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    Sorry
    Please, don't apologise! It's OK - not your fault at all
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    What inspired you to make this exactly saraxh?
    Helping the community out with online dangers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Well said :yep::hugs:

I'm glad I didn't have the internet at home and no social network accounts until I was 15, which seems almost unheard of now as children are growing up faster every year which people like child groomers can take advantage of. Great tips have been mentioned so far such as if you are under 16 - don't use your real name or pic, don't mention exactly what town you live etc. I was groomed at 15 by a man who worked at the radio station I done voluntary work at and although I never met him in person, he managed to get my email address and mobile number and started sending me sexual messages on MSN and told me he knew where I lived, threatened me and things like that. I blocked him and showed the radio manager the messages and he got sacked and that was the end of it but it could have been a lot worse. Blocking, changing your email address/mobile number and reporting it to a trustworthy adult is the best way to go if you are ever in this situation.

It can happen on any site and no site is safe from it. If you ever experience any messages of a grooming or sexual nature from anyone on TSR, please report it to me or another CA/ST. Don't feel you have to put up with any advances like that. Its unacceptable. No site is 100% safe from grooming but we want our users to feel as safe as possible on here.
    It's really scary how true that is. Personally I had a social media account at 11. That's bad because it's really easy to persuade someone at that age to do things.

I'm glad to hear you blocked them and told someone.:hugs: Preach it :yep: Someone also tried to groom at aged 11/12. Luckily I blocked them.

True that's why people need to know the warning signs in order to stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Please, don't apologise! It's OK - not your fault at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.