Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online Grooming Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Helping the community out with online dangers.
    It's just that this is very different from her usual posts if you get me.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    PREACH GlRLLLLL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    What inspired you to make this exactly saraxh?
    I can't discuss it but all i'm going to say is it's sadly becoming common on TSR. I just want to bring awareness to it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's understandable, but saraxh felt that this needed to be discussed as it's quite a serious topic for TSRians to understand.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    It's really scary how true that is. Personally I had a social media account at 11. That's bad because it's really easy to persuade someone at that age to do things.

I'm glad to hear you blocked them and told someone.:hugs: Preach it :yep:Someone also tried to groom at aged 11/12. Luckily I blocked them.

True that's why people need to know the warning signs in order to stay safe.
    If I grew up in this day and age, I probably would have had a social network account at 11 too but 13 years ago when I was that age, social network sites weren't too popular thankfully

Sorry to hear someone tried to groom you too its scary how far some of the groomers will go as well :/ the guy that mailed me was saying he loved me more than his wife and he would leave her if I said I liked him and weird things like that, that's when I blocked him. He also threatened to get me fired and other things if I told anyone. It scared me. I didn't feel safe going out alone and kept wondering if he was watching me since he said he knew where I lived and tbh, he probably did since he was able to get my email and mobile number. He must have accessed my radio account at the job I was doing. There were other young girls working there too at the time, makes me wonder if he did the same to them :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Posted 8 minutes ago, has 12 reps

Wow :lol:

I do agree with the overall message, though I would like to accentuate privacy and sharing personal information in particular. Having a picture of yourself as your avatar when you are 13 could easily lead to such a predator flirting with you, and sharing too much information is never good; it is preferrable to keep your address, real email, and so forth secret to anyone you meet online unless they have proven trustworthy.
    Preach it.

If they ask you too many questions it can look a bit dodgy. Also it's a bit risky to post a picture of yourself on a social media site such as TSR. I've heard of people uploading other people's images onto Google and finding out information about them(Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts). This is rather scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    PREACH GlRLLLLL
    PROSM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Blocking is very important, do not reply in any way.

If this happens on TSR, make sure you inform AtCT as well with the screenshots. Of course, tell an adult about it in real life as well as this is very serious.
    Ye and the reason for blocking is so they can't find out any more information about you.

Should put all your social media on max privacy as well.

I had to do this recently because my dad's brother is crazy and keeps stalking us and sending my dad abusive emails. He hacked my skype account recently lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's because of incidents I've seen on social media sites.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Preach it.

If they ask you too many questions it can look a bit dodgy. Also it's a bit risky to post a picture of yourself on a social media site such as TSR. I've heard of people uploading other people's images onto Google and finding out information about them(Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts). This is rather scary.
    I agree completely. I do not post pictures of myself even on Facebook for privacy reasons.

It is entirely possible. Also, did you know that you can find people on Facebook if you know their phone number? I once inserted some people's phone numbers in Facebook's search bar and I found EVERYONE except for myself.

n addition, sharing too much information is dangerous since with enough information, a person can be found easily. For example, if I told you the name of just two schools I went to (one in the UK, one in Romania), you could probably find me since the chances of someone other than myself going to those two schools is ridiculously slim. Even just a name and location can make it easier for a person to be found online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    If I grew up in this day and age, I probably would have had a social network account at 11 too but 13 years ago when I was that age, social network sites weren't too popular thankfully

Sorry to hear someone tried to groom you too its scary how far some of the groomers will go as well :/ the guy that mailed me was saying he loved me more than his wife and he would leave her if I said I liked him and weird things like that, that's when I blocked him. He also threatened to get me fired and other things if I told anyone. It scared me. I didn't feel safe going out alone and kept wondering if he was watching me since he said he knew where I lived and tbh, he probably did since he was able to get my email and mobile number. He must have accessed my radio account at the job I was doing. There were other young girls working there too at the time, makes me wonder if he did the same to them :eek:
    Lucky

True. Like I said above some predators upload images you've uploaded on a social media site such as TSR and find information about you.

That's really scary. People like that should be blocked and immediately reported to the authorities. Having screenshots as proof is really good.

ReputationRep:
    Is catfishing the same as grooming?

I was catfished about a month ago but luckily it wasn't someone creepy old guy
    Spoiler:
    Show

They were younger than me, quite embarrassing tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Ye and the reason for blocking is so they can't find out any more information about you.

Should put all your social media on max privacy as well.

I had to do this recently because my dad's brother is crazy and keeps stalking us and sending my dad abusive emails. He hacked my skype account recently lol.
    Preach it

I'm sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    I agree completely. I do not post pictures of myself even on Facebook for privacy reasons.

It is entirely possible. Also, did you know that you can find people on Facebook if you know their phone number? I once inserted some people's phone numbers in Facebook's search bar and I found EVERYONE except for myself.

n addition, sharing too much information is dangerous since with enough information, a person can be found easily. For example, if I told you the name of just two schools I went to (one in the UK, one in Romania), you could probably find me since the chances of someone other than myself going to those two schools is ridiculously slim. Even just a name and location can make it easier for a person to be found online.
    That's really good. Personally I post pictures of myself but I don't add people I don't know or trust.

I didn't :eek: That's crazy.

True

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    Is catfishing the same as grooming?

I was catfished about a month ago but luckily it wasn't someone creepy old guy
    Spoiler:
    Show

They were younger than me, quite embarrassing tbh

I'm sorry to hear that.

It's kinda similar I guess. Catfishing is when someone pretends to be someone they're not on a social media site such as Facebook while grooming is the process in which a predator uses to gain a child's trust.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that.

It's kinda similar I guess. Catfishing is when someone pretends to be someone they're not on a social media site such as Facebook while grooming is the process in which a predator uses to gain a child's trust.
    I see, thank you for enlightening me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Very well said, this is an important issue and raising awareness is absolutely vital to making sure that innocent people don't fall victim to the dangers of online grooming.

On a purple note, TSR takes things like these very seriously and UWS is right in saying that you should go straight to AtCT if you feel in any way uncomfortable with someone and their behaviour. The CT will take your concerns extremely seriously and will do everything they can to keep you and the many others on this site safe.

I must ask, however, that we try not to discuss particular members as there are procedures for this kind of thing. I hope that's OK. Great thread!
    Thanks.

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Amazing thread!! 🙌🏼 it's a very important issue that should be spoken of especially online.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Sorry
    Noooo don't apologise, you've done nothing wrong! Preach!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Amazing thread!! 🙌🏼 it's a very important issue that should be spoken of especially online.
    Thanks. I completely agree :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.