Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can't walk up the high street without seeing valentine's day everywhere. Can't walk into a shop that doesn't have a valentine's day display. It's madness. Why can't couples just celebrate it in private without bothering everyone else lol. Can't even go on Google without being reminded of it. Or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it too, but we just have to put up with it as you can't get away from it unfortunately
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You and me both, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I hate it too, but we just have to put up with it as you can't get away from it unfortunately
    Why do we have to put up with it though?
    Let's have done with it I say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    Why do we have to put up with it though?
    Let's have done with it I say!
    It's not going to go away just because we don't like it :no:

ReputationRep:

Name:  harmbeval.png
Views: 48
Size:  287.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    Can't walk up the high street without seeing valentine's day everywhere. Can't walk into a shop that doesn't have a valentine's day display. It's madness. Why can't couples just celebrate it in private without bothering everyone else lol. Can't even go on Google without being reminded of it. Or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.
    Any particular reason why you hate it?x

valentines day doesn't have to be for couples.You can buy roses/chocolates for your parents, just as am buying chocolate for myself

ReputationRep:
      I don't mind Valentines day. Most of the time I just go out with friends! You guys should too. Keep yourselves surrounded by positive energy!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tamil fever)
      valentines day doesn't have to be for couples.You can buy roses/chocolates for your parents, just as am buying chocolate for myself
      I always buy myself chocolate!

ReputationRep:
      The same is true for all other public celebrations/events/holidays. It's really no different to Christmas, Easter, Mothers/Fathers day and even things like Black Friday now.

This is really something that shouldn't have any impact on you. Stores are naturally going to try to make money out of you and events like Halloween or Valentines serve to aid that. So don't expect it to go away because you don't like it. But really why does it bother you? Is it actually hurting you? No more than any other holiday. It's a little less subtle than other advertising but really where is the harm? Do you think things like Easter and Christmas should only be celebrated by religious people in private? Should the parents days only be celebrated by families in private? If anything Valentine's already is pretty private. Apart from the social media posts most couples will spend Valentine's together privately, unlike Halloween or Christmas which are far more social.

So really what is the issue? It has zero impact on your life. If you are letting Valentine's affect you this badly then odds are the issue is not with it being plastered all over the place. If it specifically annoys you this much I'd wager the issue lies in how you feel about couples. Because ultimately Valentine's is just another holiday like most others.

ReputationRep:
      I don't mind it. I don't bother doing anything myself but it doesn't really affect me. People can celebrate what they want and shops will sell what is in demand.

ReputationRep:
      It's certainly very cringe and I don't know of any couples over the age of 16 who do the whole flowers, chocolates and romantic dinner on the 14th.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      The same is true for all other public celebrations/events/holidays. It's really no different to Christmas, Easter, Mothers/Fathers day and even things like Black Friday now.

This is really something that shouldn't have any impact on you. Stores are naturally going to try to make money out of you and events like Halloween or Valentines serve to aid that. So don't expect it to go away because you don't like it. But really why does it bother you? Is it actually hurting you? No more than any other holiday. It's a little less subtle than other advertising but really where is the harm? Do you think things like Easter and Christmas should only be celebrated by religious people in private? Should the parents days only be celebrated by families in private? If anything Valentine's already is pretty private. Apart from the social media posts most couples will spend Valentine's together privately, unlike Halloween or Christmas which are far more social.

So really what is the issue? It has zero impact on your life. If you are letting Valentine's affect you this badly then odds are the issue is not with it being plastered all over the place. If it specifically annoys you this much I'd wager the issue lies in how you feel about couples. Because ultimately Valentine's is just another holiday like most others.
      I just want to walk down the street without being reminded of it all the time. Im cool with couples celebrating, im celibate so I don't care. I just don't need it rubbed in my face.

ReputationRep:
      I like the day, it seems pretty sweet and nice but just have no valentine....yet

ReputationRep:
      I just want to walk down the street without being reminded of it all the time. Im cool with couples celebrating, im celibate so I don't care. I just don't need it rubbed in my face.
      But how is that any different from any other traditional holidays? Do you feel the same way about Christmas, or Easter, or Halloween and so on? Why specifically is Valentine's an issue? I really don't see how you can think it's being rubbed in your face. It's common advertising and really no different from any other type of advertising you'll see during the rest of the year. Which goes back the original point that there's something specifically about Valentine that bothers you.

Ultimately walking down the street and being bombarded with some form of advertising in every shop window is a part of normal life. But it's not like they're in your face. You can choose to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      But how is that any different from any other traditional holidays? Do you feel the same way about Christmas, or Easter, or Halloween and so on? Why specifically is Valentine's an issue? I really don't see how you can think it's being rubbed in your face. It's common advertising and really no different from any other type of advertising you'll see during the rest of the year. Which goes back the original point that there's something specifically about Valentine that bothers you.

Ultimately walking down the street and being bombarded with some form of advertising in every shop window is a part of normal life. But it's not like they're in your face. You can choose to ignore it.
      I can enjoy other holidays without having a significant other. It's pretty hard to do that with valentine's Day which is only for people in relationships really.
      I can't exactly ignore it either. You go into a shop and the front display is fully dedicated to st valentine's. It's a meaningless commercial holiday.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      im celibate so I don't care.
      Certainly seems like you care.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
      It's certainly very cringe and I don't know of any couples over the age of 16 who do the whole flowers, chocolates and romantic dinner on the 14th.
      That's what I want to do with my GF but she refuses!

ReputationRep:
      I'm not a big fan, and my boyfriend claims to hate it, but it is the date he asked me out. We celebrate for the latter. :heart:

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.