Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have offers for Mathematics at St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. For purely academics St Andrews is my first choice, but I'm concerned about how sparse the nightlife seems to be, especially on the gothic/alternative end. Does St Andrews have anything in the way of that?

ReputationRep:
    virtually non-existent

ReputationRep:
    Unless there's some secret underground thing I've never heard of, Rocksoc is probably the closest thing you'll get. Their facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/RockSocStAndrews/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LimitingRain629)
    I have offers for Mathematics at St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. For purely academics St Andrews is my first choice, but I'm concerned about how sparse the nightlife seems to be, especially on the gothic/alternative end. Does St Andrews have anything in the way of that?
    While there may not be many 'official' events like in RockSoc etc...I'm sure there are many house parties with like-minded people. It all depends whether you make any effort in finding a social group...I'm not really sure what you mean by 'alternative'..but I knew plenty of groups of friends who were not 'mainstream'...whatever that means. Don't expect everything to come to you.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of house parties and pub crawls. Virtually no nightlife.

Spoiler:
    Show

My cousin went to St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Well my advize is you've really "Goff" to ask someone in the know!!

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews hasn't really got a nightlife, much less a goth/alternative one I'm afraid. You'd probably have to have nights out in Glasgow if you're looking for clubs and bars with your kind of scene

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews runs night buses to and from Dundee, Where there is a small scene we have Kage with runs every two weeks or so. There is also the rock/metal night at the Dundee union I believe it is called distorted. You can get in the Dundee union with your student card and even sign in a couple of people. Everyone in the Dundee scene are great, then you just need to hop a bus back to st andrews or make friends and couch surf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mainer)
    St Andrews runs night buses to and from Dundee, Where there is a small scene we have Kage with runs every two weeks or so. There is also the rock/metal night at the Dundee union I believe it is called distorted. You can get in the Dundee union with your student card and even sign in a couple of people. Everyone in the Dundee scene are great, then you just need to hop a bus back to st andrews or make friends and couch surf
    Hey.. I looked into the nightlife at St Andrews/Dundee. On the website it says the latest night bus from Dundee is at 12.33; does this sound right? It seems very early for a night bus

ReputationRep:
    Look up the 99N i think its called they run the bus until about 3am for a flat rate of £5.00 its not on the normal time tables as its a special night bus and not apart of the normal schedule

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.