Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterbuckit)
    Although I am feeling rather nervous about Paper 1, due to the unpredictable nature of what could be asked, I believe that it is likely there will be a question involving checking neighbouring cells, or perhaps using the distance method that has already been implemented. This is a recurring theme that was seen in the AS where it required that you fire a torpedo in a given direction. I can't deny my uneasiness regarding this exam - it feels like the AS that was done in 2016 (particularly Paper 1) was not representative of the specimen papers, which I found to be more forgiving. For the first time in my life though, I found myself quite panicked in the exam, I am curious if anyone else can relate to this?

I feel it is likely that questions revolving around Big Data, regular expressions, functional programming and vectors will come up, seeing as these are not thoroughly explored in the specimen papers.
    So far I have gone through the preliminary material, commenting code that may appear tricky. The reality of the preliminary material code is that it isn't actually that complex, but the possibilities of what could be asked are just so unnerving.
    i advise looking through all past papers (event though it is a new spec, and there is apparently only two specimen papers available), and you'll see very clearly, that certain topics always come up

topics that will 100% come up:
    - FSM/turing machines are always in
    - graph/tree traversal in some shape or form
    - tracing algorithms (obviously)
    - regex
    - (i suspect OOP theory is also likely to be in, given the preliminary material)
    - RPN
    - abstraction

hash tables, big o notation and backus naur form are also likely to be in, but that is basically all to paper1. dont think the theory questions are gonna be too tricky, since the preliminary material is ought to be hard anyways.

basically just look at all the questions from past papers, based on the frequency of the questions you will be able to make an accurate guess of what will be in the exam - if you're running out of time just make sure you know those; most things in paper1 always have to come up because they are such essential parts of computer science that it would be foolish of them to miss - said my teacher, and she was right predicting most questions the past couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Is there an official exam thread for computer science AQA ? Or is it just this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are the vectors in paper 1 the same as the vectors in C4?

So they might ask questions like find the scalar product or the distance between vectors? Or show that they are parallel, perpendicular or intersect ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterxz)
    i advise looking through all past papers (event though it is a new spec, and there is apparently only two specimen papers available), and you'll see very clearly, that certain topics always come up

- regex
    - (i suspect OOP theory is also likely to be in, given the preliminary material)
    - RPN
    - abstraction

hash tables, big o notation and backus naur form are also likely to be in, but that is basically all to paper1. dont think the theory questions are gonna be too tricky, since the preliminary material is ought to be hard anyways.

basically just look at all the questions from past papers, based on the frequency of the questions you will be able to make an accurate guess of what will be in the exam - if you're running out of time just make sure you know those; most things in paper1 always have to come up because they are such essential parts of computer science that it would be foolish of them to miss - said my teacher, and she was right predicting most questions the past couple of years.
    The only reason I was thinking functional programming and Big Data is because they're new parts of the spec, and they'd probably want to evaluate how they ask questions on those new parts, however that's just speculation. I agree with you on the preliminary material thing, it feels like we've been given quite a simple base to be asked something quite complex on top of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCL Offer)

So they might ask questions like find the scalar product or the distance between vectors? Or show that they are parallel, perpendicular or intersect ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They may ask something about the uses of Dot Product, calculation of dot product, the resulting vector of a convex combination, the change of properties after some scaling. Possibly something to do with ways vectors can be represented? So as a data structure, as arrows, as a function etc.

ReputationRep:
    Idc what anyone says CS is harder than physics. This subject makes physics look like a walk in a park. I know this cos I do physics aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterbuckit)
    The only reason I was thinking functional programming and Big Data is because they're new parts of the spec, and they'd probably want to evaluate how they ask questions on those new parts, however that's just speculation. I agree with you on the preliminary material thing, it feels like we've been given quite a simple base to be asked something quite complex on top of.
    yeah but they belong to paper 2
    Idc what anyone says CS is harder than physics. This subject makes physics look like a walk in a park. I know this cos I do physics aswell Posted from TSR Mobile
    are you being serious? im doing maths physics and cs, and im pretty much set for CS and maths, physics however i am majorly ****ed for

ReputationRep:
    Last year computing had one of the lowest pass rates and, I believe, the lowest percentage of As & A*s. I believe that when AQA finish this new spec they should've sent the syllabus to some groups that create textbooks and given it a year before pushing it in. I use the Hodder Education Textbook stored online at Dynamic Learning and it's filled with errors left and right and I got the feeling it had been rushed.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how everyone does, what reports say etc.

WikiBooks is probably your best bet along with the specimen papers and ZigZag resources. It's tough to build your confidence with minimal assessment resources.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but they belong to paper 2

are you being serious? im doing maths physics and cs, and im pretty much set for CS and maths, physics however i am majorly ****ed for
    I know that, I was simply speculating on the course as a whole lol.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The vector calculations in Computer Science are fundamentally the same as we have in Core 4. However, there are two additional ones you should review:

Convex Combinations (This is pretty much finding a vector inside of a vector)
    Galois Field (Dot product equivalent using logic gates)
    The uses of Galois field / dot product as a parity bit checker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashmcm)
    Last year computing had one of the lowest pass rates and, I believe, the lowest percentage of As & A*s. I believe that when AQA finish this new spec they should've sent the syllabus to some groups that create textbooks and given it a year before pushing it in. I use the Hodder Education Textbook stored online at Dynamic Learning and it's filled with errors left and right and I got the feeling it had been rushed.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how everyone does, what reports say etc.

WikiBooks is probably your best bet along with the specimen papers and ZigZag resources. It's tough to build your confidence with minimal assessment resources.
    Yes, it did. This is a very difficult course and do not underestimate.

People are going to fail by undermining the difficulty of the exam, don't expect "lower grade boundaries" for that reason. The cumulative percentage of A grades is going to decrease this year, the boundaries will not decrease for you.

Be careful with ZigZag's resources, there are many errors relating to our course that exist i.e. the Class diagram does not include access modifiers.

ReputationRep:

- regex
    - RPN
    - abstraction

You are a fool if you do not trust these wise words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashmcm)
    Last year computing had one of the lowest pass rates and, I believe, the lowest percentage of As & A*s.

really? lol I didnt realise how big of a deal me getting an A was, I honestly thought it was quite easy, most programming questions were predictable.

i dont know, i dont really trust zigzag, their 'mark scheme' is incredibly inaccurate both programming and theory-wise. they did come up with good questions, but if you have no grasp of OOP python programming, there is no way you will be able to do some of them on your own, and again, the mark scheme is useless.

(Original post by luciferhf)

Be careful with ZigZag's resources, there are many errors relating to our course that exist i.e. the Class diagram does not include access modifiers.
    this this this

(Original post by luciferhf)
    You are a fool if you do not trust these wise words.
    thanks!! haha

ReputationRep:
    I could really use help with the preliminary, I am stuck on it so much.
    I'm in year 12 btw
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Well I'm doing AQA A level computer science, but I'm in Year 12 so we haven't started our project yet. Wouldn't mind lending a hand if you're stuck with your project, I'm confident I can help you with the programming/design section if you'd like.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing C# and don't mind helping me on skeleton program?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This question is more out of curiosity than a need to know, but would anyone who has a better knowledge of math than me be able to explain the formula used in the preliminary material for calculating random values? Why is it like this?

BaseValue - (BaseValue * Variability / 100) + (BaseValue * Rnd.nextInt((Variability * 2) + 1) / 100)

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Guys do you recommend doing the old spec's papers? or will i be wasting my time on them?

ReputationRep:
    I assume you guys are new specs?
    (i'm retaking paper 3 on old spec)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHDx)
    Guys do you recommend doing the old spec's papers? or will i be wasting my time on them?
    Good for building a base but that's about it.

ReputationRep:

- regex
    - RPN
    - abstraction

If you've seen the EAD i dont think there will be a trace this year. There is no table/grid in the shape of a trace type of question unlike last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.