Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get my friend back? Watch

me and this guy became friends pretty much after we left school, but it all changed about 3 years ago when we stopped talking, which I admit was my fault although I have my reasons for cutting off contact. We were the best of friends and we were basically inseparable. We have so many good memories together that I've lost count, I want to get back in regular contact with him but I don't know where to start, any advice would be appreciated

Find him online and just slide into his DMs!!
    If you don't say anything first, how can you expect a reply!?

ReputationRep:
    Well, does your reason for cutting off contact with him make a difference. Does he know the reason you cut off contact?
    Your best hope is to email or Facebook message him. Explain to him that you've been recalling how close you were and you enjoyed his friendship and miss being in contact with him. If you were basically inseparable and have wonderful memories hopefully he sees it that same way too. I am assuming you are a girl? I am questioning if he told you he had feeling for you but you didn't feel the same in return which is why you cut contact? If that is the case then you may have to leave him in your past. It might be hurtful to bring those feelings back up or he may have moved on with his life and has a significant other who won't want him going off and hanging out with his female friend from the past. If the reason you stopped talking has to do with your own personal issues, nothing regarding him, then just be honest about what happened and ask him to meet for lunch (something casual) and see what he says. Good Luck.

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    Well, does your reason for cutting off contact with him make a difference. Does he know the reason you cut off contact?
    Your best hope is to email or Facebook message him. Explain to him that you've been recalling how close you were and you enjoyed his friendship and miss being in contact with him. If you were basically inseparable and have wonderful memories hopefully he sees it that same way too. I am assuming you are a girl? I am questioning if he told you he had feeling for you but you didn't feel the same in return which is why you cut contact? If that is the case then you may have to leave him in your past. It might be hurtful to bring those feelings back up or he may have moved on with his life and has a significant other who won't want him going off and hanging out with his female friend from the past. If the reason you stopped talking has to do with your own personal issues, nothing regarding him, then just be honest about what happened and ask him to meet for lunch (something casual) and see what he says. Good Luck.
    no he doesn't know because I never told him, I was the one who developed feelings for him. He does have a girlfriend but I don't see how that should stop me being friends with him, if that's the case then she clearly doesn't trust him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    no he doesn't know because I never told him, I was the one who developed feelings for him. He does have a girlfriend but I don't see how that should stop me being friends with him, if that's the case then she clearly doesn't trust him
    Oh, okay, you two were friends. He got a girlfriend and she didn't want y'all hanging out together. He, more/less, went with the girlfriend's wishes. You cut contact and have since been missing him. Is that pretty much the scenario? Early on, did he ever reach out to you to find out what happened and ask why you disappeared? Can you find out or do you know that they are still together? If they are then I am very sorry to say that you're going to have to move on. She will not have changed her opinion. BF/GF's can be quite possessive and not understand that males/females can be just friends but there is also an emotional element to the friendship that from the bf/gf's prospective can feel very intimate and it seems threatening..... even if it isn't. If they are no longer together then, by all means, contact him and ask him for lunch. I hope this friendship works out for you but be open minded to moving on and creating new wonderful friendships if need by. Good Luck!

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    Oh, okay, you two were friends. He got a girlfriend and she didn't want y'all hanging out together. He, more/less, went with the girlfriend's wishes. You cut contact and have since been missing him. Is that pretty much the scenario? Early on, did he ever reach out to you to find out what happened and ask why you disappeared? Can you find out or do you know that they are still together? If they are then I am very sorry to say that you're going to have to move on. She will not have changed her opinion. BF/GF's can be quite possessive and not understand that males/females can be just friends but there is also an emotional element to the friendship that from the bf/gf's prospective can feel very intimate and it seems threatening..... even if it isn't. If they are no longer together then, by all means, contact him and ask him for lunch. I hope this friendship works out for you but be open minded to moving on and creating new wonderful friendships if need by. Good Luck!
    No he only got with her a couple of months ago, it's a long distance relationship by the looks of it because she lives about 300 miles away from him. I don't see why I should have to move on just because his girlfriend might be possessive and has him under the thumb, he's a grown man and if he wanted to be friends with me then that's his decision not hers. No he never asked why I disappeared I think he was too angry with me at the time to ask.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.