Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have mocks next week and my chemistry teacher has not been in for the last 2 months and so i have had to self study the first topics of Organic chemistry.
    I am doing OCR Chemistry and wanted to know if you have to learn the tables that show function groups and names of carbon chains for naming organic compounds...... Is this given in the data sheet or must it be memorised???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheikhbrumie99)
    Hi,
    I have mocks next week and my chemistry teacher has not been in for the last 2 months and so i have had to self study the first topics of Organic chemistry.
    I am doing OCR Chemistry and wanted to know if you have to learn the tables that show function groups and names of carbon chains for naming organic compounds...... Is this given in the data sheet or must it be memorised???

Memorised. Get a copy of the specification and use it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Organic Chemistry cannot be studied properly if you don't know your functional groups and how they react. For carbon compounds, learn the IUPAC naming system, it's not difficult once you get the hang of it.

Organic Chemistry is highly logical in it's own way. You can't possibly memorise every single reaction. It's better learned by treating it like Maths, learn the rules and then apply them to unknown situations. Practice lots of questions and you will get it fairly quickly.

Hi,
    Definitely memorised. You need to be confident in knowing different functional groups for the organic chemistry in order to answer the questions in the exam paper.
    It is very useful for organic synthesis and analytical techniques.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.