Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Enough time to self study AS maths in 3 months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have until the end of February to decide if I want to enter my self in AS maths and to learn it my self as they won't let me join classes. I didn't want to do it as I thought I wouldn't need it but have found out maths is important. I'm currently in my first year.

Also any websites for self teaching or books would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    Hi there, I have until the end of February to decide if I want to enter my self in AS maths and to learn it my self as they won't let me join classes. I didn't want to do it as I thought I wouldn't need it but have found out maths is important. I'm currently in my first year.

Exam solutions, solomon papers, questions from the textbook, and past papers! Use physics and maths tutor!
    Best of luck!x Any particular grade you're aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)

It is definitely possible. You can finish C1 in a week and C2 in 2/3 week. Use examsolutions.net and past papers. Also do all the questions in the C1 and C2 books and past paper questions BY TOPIC on physicsandmathstutor.com.

You should try to find a nice maths teacher in school to help you and TSR if you need any help with questions.

Which applied/3rd module are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by periperii)
    It is definitely possible. You can finish C1 in a week and C2 in 2/3 week. Use examsolutions.net and past papers. Also do all the questions in the C1 and C2 books and past paper questions BY TOPIC on physicsandmathstutor.com.

You should try to find a nice maths teacher in school to help you and TSR if you need any help with questions.

Yes- the questions by topic on physics and maths tutor are the best!x

ReputationRep:
    Go for it!

I started studying a Higher (equivalent to first year of A Levels) a week ago. I need a B and the exam is May 23rd and like to think I'm capable of it.

Make a plan for how you're going to tackle it. For my Higher, I've analysed the course content, worked out how much time I need and how I'm going to use that time, and set myself lots of small (daily/weekly) goals based on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Exam solutions, solomon papers, questions from the textbook, and past papers! Use physics and maths tutor!
    Best of luck!x Any particular grade you're aiming for?
    Thanks , is it possible to provide any links . I'm also thinking of doing it with the edexcel board as that is what our college does it with.

I would want to get an A* but an A would fit the entry requirement.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed .

I'm thinking about doing C1, C2 and M1. But over half our college is doing S1 so i'm a bit uncertain at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    Thanks, this is exactly what I needed .

I'm thinking about doing C1, C2 and M1. But over half our college is doing S1 so i'm a bit uncertain at this stage.
    I really dislike M1.

It depends. What do you want to apply for at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    Thanks , is it possible to provide any links . I'm also thinking of doing it with the edexcel board as that is what our college does it with.

I would want to get an A* but an A would fit the entry requirement.
    If you´re doing edexcel get the textbooks and do all the questions in there too!
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...ions-by-topic/
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-maths-papers/
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...ann-textbooks/

Best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)

Definitely go for it. You can easily complete C1 in a week or two (this half-term would be great to use for C1). C2 would take around 3-4 weeks, and your applied module will take another 1-2 weeks. Assuming that it takes you around 8 weeks to complete the course, you'll have a month left for revision and past papers. You definitely can manage it in a month, but you will have to work hard!

Also, could you please specify what exam board you're going to with? It'll make it easier to link you to specific resources for that exam board.

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike M1.

It depends. What do you want to apply for at uni?
    Computer science/ Chemical Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Definitely go for it. You can easily complete C1 in a week or two (this half-term would be great to use for C1). C2 would take around 3-4 weeks, and your applied module will take another 1-2 weeks. Assuming that it takes you around 8 weeks to complete the course, you'll have a month left for revision and past papers. You definitely can manage it in a month, but you will have to work hard!

Also, could you please specify what exam board you're going to with? It'll make it easier to link you to specific resources for that exam board.
    Yeah this half term should help alot .

I'm thinking about doing edexcel as it's what our college currently offers for A level maths. It would also mean I would be able to merge in with A2 in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm self studying AS Maths too. I've nearly finished C1 and have got C2 and S1 left.

I watch ukmathsteacher on YouTube and do the physicsandmathstutor past papers.

I'm doing the WJEC exam board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laughh3)
    I'm self studying AS Maths too. I've nearly finished C1 and have got C2 and S1 left.

Oh I wish I was at that stage...
    When did you begin and did you get any external help?

ReputationRep:
    Self studied AS Maths and Further Maths.

C1 and C2 took me 3 days each, M1, FP1 and S1 took me a day each and D1 took me 1-2 weeks.

Honestly depends on how determined you are.

Also I'm getting 100% in D1, C1, C2 and S1 so you can definitely teach Maths and get a very good grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    Oh I wish I was at that stage...
    When did you begin and did you get any external help?
    No, I've been on my own from the beginning. I started late as well but watching Youtube is like having a teacher.

You should look at the specification and make a schedule which you stick to. I'm aiming to finish by April. You need to be very determined and disciplined which can be very hard sometimes.

If you ever need help, such as recommended videos, etc. feel free to pm me.

Also, don't feel discouraged if you don't finish C1 and other modules within a week because that's pretty ambitious imo.

ReputationRep:
    There saying it's going to take 3-4 weeks for core 2 and 1-2 for core 1 , that's a lie , if you do 6- hours a day you could do core 1 in 3-4 days and core 2 in a week , core 1 is very easy you might be able to do it quicker and if you do s1 that will probably take 1 week , just work through the text book if you don't get something then use examsolution, and to be honest I think core 1 can be done over a weekend , there isn't a lot to learn just need to understand it and practice there isn't much time needed to get a grasp on the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cero70)
    There saying it's going to take 3-4 weeks for core 2 and 1-2 for core 1 , that's a lie , if you do 6- hours a day you could do core 1 in 3-4 days and core 2 in a week , core 1 is very easy you might be able to do it quicker and if you do s1 that will probably take 1 week , just work through the text book if you don't get something then use examsolution, and to be honest I think core 1 can be done over a weekend , there isn't a lot to learn just need to understand it and practice there isn't much time needed to get a grasp on the content
    Well this is simply a lie. You have to take into account the OPs mathematical ability, are you aware of how mathematically competent the OP is? There is a fine line between going over a topic, and properly learning it. All of us here can go over C1 over a weekend, but that does not suggest that we've properly learnt it. The OP should take his time to fully understand each topic throughout his three modules, since it'll greatly benefit him when exam season comes around. Whilst C1 is pretty easy (granted that over half of the content if from GCSE), the actual textbook is pretty lengthy, and the SMP question book for C1 does consist of 150 pages which exclusively contain practice questions only, so it isn't exactly "short" either (taking into account that the topics are fairly simple compared to the rest of the course). Also, consider that a normal school would spend 2-3 months teaching C1(where students have one maths lesson a day), once again it's quick and simple to over topics, however actually learning them properly will take longer.

Here is a very honest approximation of how long you should be spending on each module (granted that you learn them with confidence, and you've actually done practice questions for each topic):

Core 1: 1-2 Weeks
    Core 2: 3-4 Weeks
    Applied Module (D1, S1, M1): 1-2 Weeks.

Again, the above takes into the account that an individual has fully learnt the content, and has practice questions from each content included in the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laughh3)

You should definitely ensure that you've finished C1 by the end of the half term, or by the end of the month at the very least to ensure that you have enough time to learn the other modules, and do enough practice questions (and papers) for each module.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.