Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Enough time to self study AS maths in 3 months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Well this is simply a lie. You have to take into account the OPs mathematical ability, are you aware of how mathematically competent the OP is? There is a fine line between going over a topic, and properly learning it. All of us here can go over C1 over a weekend, but that does not suggest that we've properly learnt it. The OP should take his time to fully understand each topic throughout his three modules, since it'll greatly benefit him when exam season comes around. Whilst C1 is pretty easy (granted that over half of the content if from GCSE), the actual textbook is pretty lengthy, and the SMP question book for C1 does consist of 150 pages which exclusively contain practice questions only, so it isn't exactly "short" either (taking into account that the topics are fairly simple compared to the rest of the course). Also, consider that a normal school would spend 2-3 months teaching C1(where students have one maths lesson a day), once again it's quick and simple to over topics, however actually learning them properly will take longer.

Here is a very honest approximation of how long you should be spending on each module (granted that you learn them with confidence, and you've actually done practice questions for each topic):

Core 1: 1-2 Weesks
    Core 2: 3-4 Weeks
    Applied Module (D1, S1, M1): 1-2 Weeks.

Again, the above takes into the account that an individual has fully learnt the content, and has practice questions from each content included in the module.
    You may be right but I'm talking from personal experience , I self taught myself Coe 3 in 1week , after the week I did 3 past papers 2015-2014-2013 I achieved , A*AA in the papers its do able and you need to have a good textbook half of them are too lengthy and have repetitive questions , I used the Cgp core 3 text book which was great , had nice examples , great RANGE of questions , these school text books are so damn repetitive I threw my away , it's awful it has 400 pages on core 3-4 where as the cgp books have 100-150 for both with much harder questions , exam style questions , review questions ,also explained answers , it goes through each question at the back , it's great for self learning and efficiency , then again you may be right , bare in mind I'm no genius , I struggled with my A levels at As but have found them to be easier when better resources are used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    Computer science/ Chemical Engineering
    Yeah, you might need to do m1 as you may use it in Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    You should definitely ensure that you've finished C1 by the end of the half term, or by the end of the month at the very least to ensure that you have enough time to learn the other modules, and do enough practice questions (and papers) for each module.
    Yes, Ill aim for that but i've also booked more work hours as I dont want to be behind on rent again.

I did get an A maths but I don't think its comparable to the A level of it.

ReputationRep:
    So should I go with M1 instead of S1? Is it easier or more harder to learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjd3)
    So should I go with M1 instead of S1? Is it easier or more harder to learn?
    I think the applied modules are both fairly easy , you should take M1 if take physics, if not so S1 , the s1 exam is like the same every year , it's pretty easy but then again you need a graphic calculator , you can get a b in s1 with just the calculator you will need to learn to use it , which may require a teachers help , and in M1 you get much harder questions in the exams , some of it may be hard to grasp , in my opinion is think S1 is easier but only if you learn to use the graphic calculator which does 80% of the work for you by just plugging stuff in , it's actually a joke how easy S1 is if you can use the graphic calculator, look into both s1 and M1 and see which looks more appealing to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cero70)
    I think the applied modules are both fairly easy , you should take M1 if take physics, if not so S1 , the s1 exam is like the same every year , it's pretty easy but then again you need a graphic calculator , you can get a b in s1 with just the calculator you will need to learn to use it , which may require a teachers help , and in M1 you get much harder questions in the exams , some of it may be hard to grasp , in my opinion is think S1 is easier but only if you learn to use the graphic calculator which does 80% of the work for you by just plugging stuff in , it's actually a joke how easy S1 is if you can use the graphic calculator, look into both s1 and M1 and see which looks more appealing to you.
    Thanks I will.

We also aren't allowed Graphic calculators, only a scientific ones. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in the same situation, I want to start C1 over half term but I will have mock/assessment week after, so i have other subjects to revise for too, ugh. Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oragon)
    Hey I'm in the same situation, I want to start C1 over half term but I will have mock/assessment week after, so i have other subjects to revise for too, ugh. Good luck !
    Yeah same, I have other exams to revise for along with C1.

ReputationRep:
    lol 3 months??? m8 i'm gonna attempt to complete it in 4 days.............

ReputationRep:
    Trust me when I say it is possible to do well in 3 months. I have done it before for Maths and I am not naturally a genius in Maths, but pure Hard Work and the right Strategy got me where i wanted to be. Just make sure you have a solid plan before you start.

No. 1: Go back to your textbook/coursebook. Divide the subchapters in your textbook to how many days you want to spend on each of them. Eg. 60 subtopics-30 days if you do 2 per day. Don't try to finish 1 TOPIC a day as you won't be able to understand each subtopic well if you rush. Get all the topics right and do all the textbook questions.Take as long as you want so you must start early. For motivation, try Studying Amino app because that motivated me to do my daily maths notes/sums.

No. 2: Do past papers. Start with 0.5 paper (e.g. 5/10 questions) per day. Then, work your way towards doing 1 paper a day under TIMED conditions. Do as many as you can get your hands on to. Doing all of the past papers available is the best approach. Then do some solomon/gold papers.

No. 3: Please start early so that you don't have to be under constant stress towards the end. You will thank yourself when exams come. Studying isn't meant to be done last minute. You can gain so much more out of each study session if you spend long enough, but for that you need a lot of time.

No.4: I slept really well at night. At least 8-9 hours per night. And I woke up early at 7.30-8am. Study regularly throughout the day with ample of breaks. Stick with 1 past paper per module in a day. Don't do more unless you can manage. Have a rough plan for the day as a rigid timetable isn't going to work out perfectly.Do something you love during break and then get back to studying.

All the best to you❤

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.