The Student Room Group

'Traditional' subjects

Hi all,

I'm sure there are already thousands of discussions like this one, so I apologise in advance!

I am hoping to study law with psychology at the University of Southampton. I am going to be doing my A-levels this September, and I was wondering if these subject choices were are considered 'academic' enough: ancient history, religious studies, psychology and government and politics.

The 'facilitating subjects' list includes sciences, maths, languages, etc. Should I be taking these sort of subjects instead? I would love to do Biology as it is something I am passionate about, but I don't think my maths is up to scratch :s-smilie:

Thanks!
Biology has hardly any maths in it youll be fine in that sense, theres a lot of content and application though, so youll need to work hard.
Don't take maths for the sake of taking maths. Heck, don't take any facilitating subjects for the sake of taking facilitating subjects.
For psychology, a good subject would be biology. So yes, if you think you'd enjoy that, take it.
For Law, essay based subjects are important. Ancient History is perfect, obviously something like English Lit would be a good choice too so perhaps you could consider taking that, however its really not important providing you have a facilitating subject already.
Don't need any maths for biology not sure if your confusing it with physics. Your choices seem okay history is classed as a facilitating subject by the way so you have on there. If I was you I'd choose biology as you said you were passionate about it and would replace it for religious studies to strengthen your options.
Ancient History is a good essay based subject! I don't know about RE but I imagine there are essays, government and politics is good (especially if you're interested, I've heard it's challenging if you don't put the effort in), and psychology is good for getting a grounded knowledge in the subject.

If I were you, I'd ask your school's career advisor or email someone in charge of options. You could also discuss it at your a level interview if you're not sure, and if all else fails, your tutor will have a levels and a degree, so they'll know a little bit about it.

(I think the course is changing next year, but the Ancient History I'm doing is super fun but requires a lot of reading and revision)
Original post by jessica.michelle
Hi all,

I'm sure there are already thousands of discussions like this one, so I apologise in advance!

I am hoping to study law with psychology at the University of Southampton. I am going to be doing my A-levels this September, and I was wondering if these subject choices were are considered 'academic' enough: ancient history, religious studies, psychology and government and politics.

The 'facilitating subjects' list includes sciences, maths, languages, etc. Should I be taking these sort of subjects instead? I would love to do Biology as it is something I am passionate about, but I don't think my maths is up to scratch :s-smilie:

Thanks!

Those subjects all sound pretty good.
Id definitely consider biology as well. Maybe instead of religion? There isnt much maths in biology (thats mainly chemistry and physics) so i wouldnt worry about that too much.

Quick Reply

Latest