Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    i hate my figure right now, i mean in one way im okay because when you look at me i won't look over weight but the reality is i am. i hate how my body looks l beneath my clothing, i want to be super skinny, have abs, and most of all thinner thighs. The problem is i can't stick a diet, i cant find time to go to the gym, I LOVE EATING, and whenever im bored i eat because of this i know one day im going to end up ruining my health. I can't stand protein shakes, and i just don't know, im currently 12 stones, im 17 years old and im 5ft 6

If anybody has a secret for creating that perfect figure please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    If looking like that were easy then everyone would look like that. There's no secrets, no magic tricks, no easy way, just diet and exercise.

That said super skinny is not a good goal and there is also a space for questioning our body ideals. Super skinny with abs would probably look like you are ill, you need quite a bit of muscle mass to have sort of abs. Aiming to maintain proper ripped abs isn't a good idea for a woman. For men it's only ok if you have a fair bit of muscle mass

You'll be much happier longer term if you focus on living a healthier lifestyle, it will get you a leaner body but without the unhealthy focus on being skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaky17)
    Hi guys,
    i hate my figure right now, i mean in one way im okay because when you look at me i won't look over weight but the reality is i am. i hate how my body looks l beneath my clothing, i want to be super skinny, have abs, and most of all thinner thighs. The problem is i can't stick a diet, i cant find time to go to the gym, I LOVE EATING, and whenever im bored i eat because of this i know one day im going to end up ruining my health. I can't stand protein shakes, and i just don't know, im currently 12 stones, im 17 years old and im 5ft 6

There is no secret to creating a perfect figure. It'll come down to diet, exercise and body maintenance (sleep, hydration, etc.).

1) Diet - Eat nutritionally dense food, and when you're having your meals, make sure they're balanced. A good rule is to the ratio of Protein/Carb/Veggies (dark leafy greens) - 1/1/2.

Examples of nutritionally dense food is salmon and cous cous salad. Chicken with rice and vegetables. Lean steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Since you'll be doing exercise, make sure you get enough protein from good protein sources (lean meats, eggs, nuts and pulses, etc.)

2) Exercise - You can't lose weight if your body doesn't use more calories than it intakes. You need to exercise.

In a week, you should do 2 days of weight training, and 2 days of cardio.

Cardio will help you burn fat and improve your cardio vascular health (which is crucial for maintaining a healthy body, and allowing your muscles to work more efficiently). Go for one session of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and one session of long duration cardio (45 mins of any cardio exercise which makes you sweat freely).

Weight training will give your body the shape and definition you want - this is the only way to get "abs" - I say "abs", because we all already have abs, but you clearly want it to be defined. The body's use of, and reparation of said muscles will also expend energy, which will in turn aid with the fat loss.

As you become healthier and fitter, you can tailor your exercise programme to properly target and achieve what you want. The above is a general overall fitness plan - basically to lose fat and define muscle.

3) Rest and stay hydrated - At least 8 hours of rest a night. It's when you sleep that your body properly repairs and does maintenance on itself. You need it. (So why the **** am I up at 3:37am? Cos I'm a moron, that's why).

That's it. Dedication and patience. You didn't turn overweight in a week, so don't expect to lose all your undesired weight in a week.

Any questions, fire away. PM if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    If looking like that were easy then everyone would look like that. There's no secrets, no magic tricks, no easy way, just diet and exercise.

That said super skinny is not a good goal and there is also a space for questioning our body ideals. Super skinny with abs would probably look like you are ill, you need quite a bit of muscle mass to have sort of abs. Aiming to maintain proper ripped abs isn't a good idea for a woman. For men it's only ok if you have a fair bit of muscle mass

You'll be much happier longer term if you focus on living a healthier lifestyle, it will get you a leaner body but without the unhealthy focus on being skinny.
    I don't follow.

Are you saying that since it's harder for women to build muscle, they shouldn't do it? Since it's easier for men to do so, then it's fine for them to do so?

Cute.

:tea:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    There is no secret to creating a perfect figure. It'll come down to diet, exercise and body maintenance (sleep, hydration, etc.).

1) Diet - Eat nutritionally dense food, and when you're having your meals, make sure they're balanced. A good rule is to the ratio of Protein/Carb/Veggies (dark leafy greens) - 1/1/2.

Examples of nutritionally dense food is salmon and cous cous salad. Chicken with rice and vegetables. Lean steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Since you'll be doing exercise, make sure you get enough protein from good protein sources (lean meats, eggs, nuts and pulses, etc.)

2) Exercise - You can't lose weight if your body doesn't use more calories than it intakes. You need to exercise.

In a week, you should do 2 days of weight training, and 2 days of cardio.

Cardio will help you burn fat and improve your cardio vascular health (which is crucial for maintaining a healthy body, and allowing your muscles to work more efficiently). Go for one session of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and one session of long duration cardio (45 mins of any cardio exercise which makes you sweat freely).

Weight training will give your body the shape and definition you want - this is the only way to get "abs" - I say "abs", because we all already have abs, but you clearly want it to be defined. The body's use of, and reparation of said muscles will also expend energy, which will in turn aid with the fat loss.

As you become healthier and fitter, you can tailor your exercise programme to properly target and achieve what you want. The above is a general overall fitness plan - basically to lose fat and define muscle.

3) Rest and stay hydrated - At least 8 hours of rest a night. It's when you sleep that your body properly repairs and does maintenance on itself. You need it. (So why the **** am I up at 3:37am? Cos I'm a moron, that's why).

That's it. Dedication and patience. You didn't turn overweight in a week, so don't expect to lose all your undesired weight in a week.

Any questions, fire away. PM if you want.
    Hii
    Thank you very much, today i have started my stay healthy and fit routine! even though tommorows my birthday lol. Normally when it comes to diet i end up breaking it by over eating junk but this time im really dedicated and i won't get tmpted by those unhealthy snacks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I don't follow.

Are you saying that since it's harder for women to build muscle, they shouldn't do it? Since it's easier for men to do so, then it's fine for them to do so?

Cute.

:tea:
    It's about health and not being too light.

Women need to get much closer than men to essential fat levels to have proper than. You also need a fair bit muscle at those body fat percents to not just be too skinny. That's easier for men than women.

Women need to know what they are doing more and work hardier for having abs not to be a bad idea. Which is fine if they are going to do that. But for someone with OPs attitude I'd not be recommending they try it if they are a woman.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaky17)
    Hi guys,

Super skinny and abs is not a good look. To improve your lifestyle, you have to start making some lifestyle changes. At 17; unless you're pulling 12 hour shifts, you can find time to exercise, whether that be in a gym or running/ cycling outside etc.

As for your diet; eat more veg, stop the snacking on crap like crisps and choose them for low calorie stuff like some cottage cheese or quark or a stick of celery

Finally move more - bored? Go for a walk, inside or out, it matters not

ReputationRep:
    If you want to stay in relatively better shape and not be fat, the best thing is to find a sport/physical activity you genuinely enjoy, and then lack of motivation won't be an issue, and changes will be much more long-term. The whole "I can't find time to go to the gym" thing is obviously an excuse, and it's one you wouldn't be making if you actually enjoyed going to the gym. There are plenty of other ways to stay in shape though.

Take up a martial art, start running or mountain biking or road cycling. Join a climbing club or a football/rugby/hockey team or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    It's about health and not being too light.

Women need to get much closer than men to essential fat levels to have proper than. You also need a fair bit muscle at those body fat percents to not just be too skinny. That's easier for men than women.

Women need to know what they are doing more and work hardier for having abs not to be a bad idea. Which is fine if they are going to do that. But for someone with OPs attitude I'd not be recommending they try it if they are a woman.
    Exactly.

I have no doubt it'd be more than difficult than if you were a man, but just because it's harder doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. It's not a bad idea to try to achieve an ideal, despite being at a genetic disadvantage.

Besides, you shouldn't assume someone's attitude and personality through and through - I didn't dedicate myself to my body and health at all until relatively recently. Now I can't stop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.