Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Lana and I'm currently studying Mathematics, Economics, french, spanish and extended project at A-level. I would really like to apply to Cambridge in Land Economics, but I would really love to know what the successful applicant usually has to achieve at GCSE and A-level.

In my GCSEs, I achieved 4A*s, 6As and 1B. At A-Level, I think I can achieve at least A*A*A. Do you think that my GCSEs will hold me back when I'm applying to this particular course? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem as you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I have the same problem as you!
    Are u considering applying to the same course? How were your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    The average Oxbridge applicants have between 5-8 A* (according to Oxford), and at least 3-4 A* (according to Cambridge), and an average UMS of 87-92%. You should not be held back. Your AS grades, and A-level subjects are far more important, and then comes interviews, entrance exams, recommendations, personal statement and so on. If you are in doubt, email the admissions at your chosen college or talk to your current teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanadawsey)
    Are u considering applying to the same course? How were your GCSEs?
    No I want to apply for economics at cambridge and I got 3 A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE. I am studying maths, economics, chemistry and the EPQ- and like you I also think that I can achieve at least A*A*A. I have my AS maths exams in may and I aiming to get 95+ UMS- however I can't stop worrying about my GCSE grades! What about people who have 10/11 A*s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1m2)
    The average Oxbridge applicants have between 5-8 A* (according to Oxford), and at least 3-4 A* (according to Cambridge), and an average UMS of 87-92%. You should not be held back. Your AS grades, and A-level subjects are far more important, and then comes interviews, entrance exams, recommendations, personal statement and so on. If you are in doubt, email the admissions at your chosen college or talk to your current teachers.
    Thank you this is very good advice!x

ReputationRep:
    No I want to apply for economics at cambridge and I got 3 A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE. I am studying maths, economics, chemistry and the EPQ- and like you I also think that I can achieve at least A*A*A. I have my AS maths exams in may and I aiming to get 95+ UMS- however I can't stop worrying about my GCSE grades! What about people who have 10/11 A*s?
    Thank you this is very good advice!x
    I would recommend doing thorough research - what assessments does my college use, what are the preferred A-level combinations, what grades seem to weigh the heaviest (putting down the most work to receive an high UMS) and so on. You are both on the lower scale regarding GCSE, but there is little doubt that your UMS and other parts of the application may easily weigh your application up. Your GCSE are still good, and if you prove that you have become even better through your AS, and choose difficult and challenging subjects - you'll be fine. There are so many elements to an Oxbridge application, that it does not do to dwell too long on one component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1m2)
    I would recommend doing thorough research - what assessments does my college use, what are the preferred A-level combinations, what grades seem to weigh the heaviest (putting down the most work to receive an high UMS) and so on. You are both on the lower scale regarding GCSE, but there is little doubt that your UMS and other parts of the application may easily weigh your application up. Your GCSE are still good, and if you prove that you have become even better through your AS, and choose difficult and challenging subjects - you'll be fine. There are so many elements to an Oxbridge application, that it does not do to dwell too long on one component.
    Thank you I will do this right now!x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.