ReputationRep:
    Public parks in danger of falling into neglect, warn MPs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38935787

Are we even a real country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes, we are.

But I'm sure the Nordic countries are just as real should you feel the need to emigrate.

ReputationRep:

Do you go and help out at litter picks in your local park? Are you involved in a committee to promote it? Have you donated money to your local authority to help support the local parks?

If not, kindly stop complaining as if you're somehow detached from this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    Yes, we are.

But I'm sure the Nordic countries are just as real should you feel the need to emigrate.
    So you are saying the UK can not even maintain parks?

Sorry but I have higher aspirations of my country than you evidently do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Do you go and help out at litter picks in your local park? Are you involved in a committee to promote it? Have you donated money to your local authority to help support the local parks?
    What kind of a counterargument is this? Parks are public property and the government has a responsibility to maintain them. Stop trying to shift the blame away from a government that is running away from its duties. The government exists for a reason. Is your response to the government starving the NHS of funds to blame normal people for not retraining as doctors and donating their life's earnings to their local NHS trust?

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying the UK can not even maintain parks?

Sorry but I have higher aspirations of my country than you evidently do.
    I don't really care about public parks tbh. But I do believe they should be maintained. They just aren't a priority for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Actually I volunteer weekly helping maintain a national park which involves more than just litter picking. Considering I have such bad social anxiety that is an achievement in itself.

The thing with living on a student loan means I don't have much money to spare unless I want to forgo any kind of consumer based happiness (which is at the core of your ideology) or save anything (which is the only escape form wage slavery). My charity money is limited and it is going to Kurdish people at the moment where each pound does more good. I have given 100s of hours for free in maintaining public spaces.

A rich country should be able to fund parks via taxation and it puts us to shame that we can't even manage that. I think you should confront the kind of country your thatcherite ideology leads to, one where we can not even have decent parks. I don't expect people who work full time to spend loads of time working fro free elsewhere, they can pay tax which pays for others to maintain parks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care about public parks tbh. But I do believe they should be maintained. They just aren't a priority for me.
    How unpatriotic.

ReputationRep:

Spending too much on health tourism, not enough money to go around!

ReputationRep:
    How unpatriotic.
    I don't think it's particularly unpatriotic, but I don't particularly care if it is.

I'm more concerned with how we can replace our feckless democratic politicians with an elite of heroic individuals who are worthy to guide our nation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's particularly unpatriotic, but I don't particularly care if it is.

I'm more concerned with how we can replace our feckless democratic politicians with an elite of heroic individuals who are worthy to guide our nation.
    Who would choose them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Who would choose them?
    They would choose themselves.

It's badly flawed, but I'm prepared to take risks with it in order to ensure that the heroic leader we need will emerge.

ReputationRep:
    Public parks in danger of falling into neglect, warn MPso

I've got to the point where I want taxes to go up and more borrowing to fund a lot of infrastructure projects.

We are never going to cut ourselves out of this deficit

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.