Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

senior prefect application Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could someone please read through my application letter to see if it's alright? Thank youu

Dear _____,

I am writing this letter to express my interest in being a senior prefect.

In structuring my response I found myself questioning what the role of a Senior Prefect entails. To me, a major part of being a senior prefect is representing the school, and being able to make significant contributions towards the betterment of it. I feel that my five years at____ school has given me the necessary insight and awareness of the strong community within the school and I hope to repay it by taking on this role.

A skill that I think I can provide as a Senior Prefect is the ability to communicate with a variety of people effectively, for instance this is highlighted during my time spent volunteering at a local care home, where I am put in situations that test my ability to react quickly and effectively, often in a calm manor when dealing with residents.

Within the school environment, communication with my fellow students is a critical part of being a Senior Prefect. I am excited to do so as I have had many opportunities to interact with other pupils over the past few years and they have always been an enjoyable experience. An example of this would be my role as a CHAT councillor in Years 10 and 11, where I was able to step out of my comfort zone and really interact with the pupils and help resolve any issues that they had. CHAT also provided me with the unique opportunity of being able to understand _____’s pastoral care system, and even be a small part of it. Within CHAT I was able to go on a diversity awareness course as part of my training. I learnt many things that day, but my most important takeaway from it was that everyone has their own story, as a Senior Prefect I hope to bring in this idea of individuality and help to shape the school to cater for everyone’s individual needs.

Similarly, I feel that being able work as part of a team has an equally important part in the role of a Senior Prefect. I feel that my participation in the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme helps to showcase my interpersonal, leadership and team work skills; for example, at times during the expedition where in which we as a group struggled to continue any further, it was crucial that we stayed together and supported each other where ever needed. In addition to this, I have been able to develop my team working and leadership skills whilst being part of my Classical Indian dance team. I have been committed to this for around a decade now and being able to lead the team during certain shows and performances has aided in progressing my leadership skills.

Another key skilled required of a Senior Prefect is organisation. From participating as a student an general prefect in events such as the Annual Presentation Evenings and Open Days, it is evident that immense amounts of planning and preparation go into conducting them. I enjoy organisation and it is something I take pride in doing. For instance, prior to this year’s India trip I organised a small fund-raising stall at the ____ Indian Mela, to gain contributions for Fr Ravi’s orphanage. Here we were successful in raising around £100 in donations. Moreover, for my Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification, my team and I run the Science and Anatomy Clubs for the Year 8 and 9 students after school. This requires a great deal of preparation before hand in order for the club to run smoothly, such as the creation of worksheets and PowerPoint Presentations that are used as well as the knowledge needed to conduct the experiments. Other areas with require such organisation and levels of commitment include the school’s charity committee and peer mentoring schemes. Being part of both of these groups requires me to be organised as an individual. Setting aside time and effort for these activities has become part of my daily life, and I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of it.

During my time at _____ I have come to realise the value of commitment, determination and confidence, both inside and outside of school. I have been taught the value of resilience, and I have not cowered from a challenge, such as taking on Art GCSE. It was a subject I considered dropping many times as I was not particularly strong in this field, but instead I powered through and achieved my A grade. In recent years, I took on public speaking as a simple hobby, however now I have taken what was once an area where a severely I lacked confidence, and made it my own, I am now due to take my Bronze medal examination for this in April.

I earnestly feel that will embrace the role of Senior Prefect whole heartedly if given the chance, and I will take this as an opportunity to further show my commitment to the school as a passionate, determined and genuine student.

Yours Sincerely,
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    3rd paragraph (including the line at the top as the 1st paragraph..) manor should be manner.

5th paragraph - change any I feel thats to I believe that. You did well to talk about your classical Indian activity and how you demonstrated leadership, but it doesn't come across the same way for DofE - like what specifically did you do to be in a team, support, stay together?

Second to last paragraph - I see what you're trying to say about your art GCSE but it can come off as a bit bad the way you've worded it, even though I appreciate that you're trying to show how much of a massive improvement you made. I would say something more like 'initially I struggled with Art GCSE, as I did not have a natural aptitude for it. However, with perseverance and time invested to practice art outside of lessons, I was able to gradually improve throughout the year and achieved an A grade.

Final paragraph - wholeheartedly is one word.

Otherwise, it is very well written and I wish I had a school trip to India.

Good luck!

(Original post by anoushka221)
    Hi, could someone please read through my application letter to see if it's alright? Thank youu

Dear _____,

I am writing this letter to express my interest in being a senior prefect.

In structuring my response I found myself questioning what the role of a Senior Prefect entails. To me, a major part of being a senior prefect is representing the school, and being able to make significant contributions towards the betterment of it. I feel that my five years at____ school has given me the necessary insight and awareness of the strong community within the school and I hope to repay it by taking on this role.

A skill that I think I can provide as a Senior Prefect is the ability to communicate with a variety of people effectively, for instance this is highlighted during my time spent volunteering at a local care home, where I am put in situations that test my ability to react quickly and effectively, often in a calm manor when dealing with residents.

Within the school environment, communication with my fellow students is a critical part of being a Senior Prefect. I am excited to do so as I have had many opportunities to interact with other pupils over the past few years and they have always been an enjoyable experience. An example of this would be my role as a CHAT councillor in Years 10 and 11, where I was able to step out of my comfort zone and really interact with the pupils and help resolve any issues that they had. CHAT also provided me with the unique opportunity of being able to understand _____’s pastoral care system, and even be a small part of it. Within CHAT I was able to go on a diversity awareness course as part of my training. I learnt many things that day, but my most important takeaway from it was that everyone has their own story, as a Senior Prefect I hope to bring in this idea of individuality and help to shape the school to cater for everyone’s individual needs.

Similarly, I feel that being able work as part of a team has an equally important part in the role of a Senior Prefect. I feel that my participation in the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme helps to showcase my interpersonal, leadership and team work skills; for example, at times during the expedition where in which we as a group struggled to continue any further, it was crucial that we stayed together and supported each other where ever needed. In addition to this, I have been able to develop my team working and leadership skills whilst being part of my Classical Indian dance team. I have been committed to this for around a decade now and being able to lead the team during certain shows and performances has aided in progressing my leadership skills.

Another key skilled required of a Senior Prefect is organisation. From participating as a student an general prefect in events such as the Annual Presentation Evenings and Open Days, it is evident that immense amounts of planning and preparation go into conducting them. I enjoy organisation and it is something I take pride in doing. For instance, prior to this year’s India trip I organised a small fund-raising stall at the ____ Indian Mela, to gain contributions for Fr Ravi’s orphanage. Here we were successful in raising around £100 in donations. Moreover, for my Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification, my team and I run the Science and Anatomy Clubs for the Year 8 and 9 students after school. This requires a great deal of preparation before hand in order for the club to run smoothly, such as the creation of worksheets and PowerPoint Presentations that are used as well as the knowledge needed to conduct the experiments. Other areas with require such organisation and levels of commitment include the school’s charity committee and peer mentoring schemes. Being part of both of these groups requires me to be organised as an individual. Setting aside time and effort for these activities has become part of my daily life, and I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of it.

During my time at _____ I have come to realise the value of commitment, determination and confidence, both inside and outside of school. I have been taught the value of resilience, and I have not cowered from a challenge, such as taking on Art GCSE. It was a subject I considered dropping many times as I was not particularly strong in this field, but instead I powered through and achieved my A grade. In recent years, I took on public speaking as a simple hobby, however now I have taken what was once an area where a severely I lacked confidence, and made it my own, I am now due to take my Bronze medal examination for this in April.

I earnestly feel that will embrace the role of Senior Prefect whole heartedly if given the chance, and I will take this as an opportunity to further show my commitment to the school as a passionate, determined and genuine student.

Yours Sincerely,

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks for uploading this, i know that i havent helped you but it has helped me a lot as i'm in the same position

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.