Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Headache Back of Head (left side) Watch

I have had this really annoying ache at the back of my head on the left, which seems to be triggered by using computers or anything like mobile phone screens, etc. I am using computers for massively long hours (setting up a web design business). I have noticed it get worse, as it only takes about 40 minutes of being on the computer and it starts. I seem to be fine when not on computers.

I am 19 years of age.

I'm no medical professional but the only thing I think of, is it could be something to do with eyesight? From memory, I used to make a yearly trip to the opticians who always told me I was on the borderline for needing glasses part-time? Then I think it was the last time I went when I was 14, and they did prescribe me with glasses that year for part-time use. Being a typical 14-year-old, a never wore them. Would you think that's a possible cause
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have had this really annoying ache at the back of my head on the left, which seems to be triggered by using computers or anything like mobile phone screens, etc. I am using computers for massively long hours (setting up a web design business). I have noticed it get worse, as it only takes about 40 minutes of being on the computer and it starts. I seem to be fine when not on computers.

I am 19 years of age.

I'm no medical professional but the only thing I think of, is it could be something to do with eyesight? From memory, I used to make a yearly trip to the opticians who always told me I was on the borderline for needing glasses part-time? Then I think it was the last time I went when I was 14, and they did prescribe me with glasses that year for part-time use. Being a typical 14-year-old, a never wore them. Would you think that's a possible cause
    Can be due to strain from bright lights. Try turning the screen brightness down, using an anti-glare screen cover, reducing contrast (keep room and screen lighting at asimilar level) and/ or wearing tinted glasses. Also worth making sure you are well hydrated, get enough sleep and all that stuff.
    you may want to ask a pharmacist about it or even see your doctor if it's really bad. Also worth seeing an optician just cos you haven't seen one in a while.

This happens with me and i've been told it's due to my dyslexia. It also meand reading can be difficult, especially on computers, because of glare and contrast. Basically harsh contrast and brightness annoys your eyes and can give you blurry vision, headaches etc. I think it's normal for non-dyslexics to get it too, just dyslexia makes you more sensitive to it or something. Anyway, advice for dyslexia may help you cos it's looking at the same stuff. That's where my advice comes from.
    Interestingly I was also borderline for needing glasses- told I was astigmatic- but later got told that my eyes are fine and it's the dyslexia. Does make sense for why the glasses never helped.

Anyway, good luck with your head and the web business stuff.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.