Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm starting a nursing access course in August 2017. In August 2018 I will be starting a nursing programme and I am torn between Mental Health and Adult Nursing.

I have mental health experience because I have worked as a mental health secretary for the last 5 years. I enjoy mental health. It is interesting. I have good people skills.

But I am worried that I will limited my career choices as I progress.

I am a busy type of person and ideally would want to work in A&E or surgery etc if I was to do adult nursing.

I don't like the idea of poo but could stomach it if needed.

I need some help with which one offers better pay? More opportunities? And the pros and cons or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danim86)
    Hi

I'm starting a nursing access course in August 2017. In August 2018 I will be starting a nursing programme and I am torn between Mental Health and Adult Nursing.

I have mental health experience because I have worked as a mental health secretary for the last 5 years. I enjoy mental health. It is interesting. I have good people skills.

But I am worried that I will limited my career choices as I progress.

I am a busy type of person and ideally would want to work in A&E or surgery etc if I was to do adult nursing.

I don't like the idea of poo but could stomach it if needed.

I need some help with which one offers better pay? More opportunities? And the pros and cons or both.
    First and foremost;
    If you don't like the idea of doing personal care. Stay away from nursing.
    Good people skills are needed in Nursing, regardless of what branch you're doing.
    Any field of nursing had plenty of career opportunities and pathways for progression.
    Don't be focusing on adult nursing just because you may have heard more jobs or career prospects etc etc.
    All nurses in the NHS start as a band 5 and then there is potential to work your way up if you work hard and aim high.

You need to do what you have a passion for. It will be 3 years of hard work, a lot of juggling and stress etc just to get your registration.
    Then you have a whole career in that field to think of.
    I suggest you try and get some experience where adult nurses may work to see what you think suits you best. Only you can decide what you want to do in your future.
    Mental health nursing is not just about talking to people or about people skills etc.
    It's a lot of assessments, handling crises, administering medications, being very aware of legislation around mental health and capacity.
    Awareness of the nurses' holding powers. A willingness to restrain if needed. Being aware of an aging population, ie dementia etc.
    Try and get some more experience and talk to some adult nurses to see what you can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.