Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today I learnt: supervisors who are members of Trinity College may supervise undergraduates who aren't at Trinity, but they aren't allowed to supervise them on Trinity property. Only Trinity students are allowed to be supervised on Trinity property. If a supervisor from Trinity wants to supervise a non-Trinity student, they MUST do it outside of Trinity grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria ZT)
    Today I learnt: supervisors who are members of Trinity College may supervise undergraduates who aren't at Trinity, but they aren't allowed to supervise them on Trinity property. Only Trinity students are allowed to be supervised on Trinity property. If a supervisor from Trinity wants to supervise a non-Trinity student, they MUST do it outside of Trinity grounds.
    That's either recently changed or not quite right. I wasn't a member of Trinity but regularly supervised there for Criminal law.

ReputationRep:
    Does Sidney Sussex count as Trinity property?

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria ZT)
    That's not true.

They changed the rules on booking rooms to hold supervisions in relatively recently (i.e. a few years ago), so that in order to book one of the relatively limited numbers of free rooms available to hold supervisions in you must be supervising Trinity students (although I can't recall what happens if for some reason you are supervising a pair of students one of whom is from Trinity).
    However, that doesn't mean you must hold supervisions outside of Trinity grounds.

If you have a room in the college that is yours, you are able to hold supervisions there for anyone you like - and when fellows are supervising, it is certainly normal for them to hold them in their college rooms. If not, or not one that has a sensible space for supervisions (e.g. if you are a PhD student doing some supervising), then you find that you can't book other college rooms for supervisions of non-Trinity students, hence need to go elsewhere - usually to your department (which is where most PhD students who supervise hold all of their supervisions anyway). Although I don't believe there'd be anything to stop you trying to supervise in the college bar or one of the common rooms, it just probably wouldn't work very well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.