Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

bestfriend is polar opposite Watch

ReputationRep:
    is anybody best friends with their polar opposite? how do you deal with it? do you have frequent ups and downs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filmaker)
    is anybody best friends with their polar opposite? how do you deal with it? do you have frequent ups and downs?
    I do, I love him though, like we are so different and we appreciate that, however it does mean we run out of things to say to each other quite frequently and to be honest, out of school its quite awkward, its almost like academia is the only thing we have in common, but I don't really see that as a problem, a friend is a friend and we support each other, and that all that matters. Arguments do occur frequently but like 'bantery' arguments not pure hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twm2)
    I do, I love him though, like we are so different and we appreciate that, however it does mean we run out of things to say to each other quite frequently and to be honest, out of school its quite awkward, its almost like academia is the only thing we have in common, but I don't really see that as a problem, a friend is a friend and we support each other, and that all that matters. Arguments do occur frequently but like 'bantery' arguments not pure hate.
    thats actually quite weird, it sounds very similar to me. except the only thing we have in common is funny videos or the most random things. i agree though running out of things to say happens frequently too. have you ever fell out proper?

ReputationRep:
    thats actually quite weird, it sounds very similar to me. except the only thing we have in common is funny videos or the most random things. i agree though running out of things to say happens frequently too. have you ever fell out proper?
    With my current best friend no. However back in the day I was best friends with this girl, and we, yet again, were complete polar opposites. All was OK for many years, in till one day when she cancelled her plans with me for the 50th time, I just felt like it isn't worth it to give so much to someone who gives so little back. So I cut her out. Its so important to surround yourself with supportive people we will help you achieve your dreams and not holding you back, don't get lost with those people who will hold you back, even if they do seem much cooler than you!

I'm not saying to cut friends out whenever they do something slightly wrong because you should support them as well, but just ask yourself: Am I happy in this relationship? Do they bring me joy, make me laugh, support me, are happy when I achieve something and so on? These are the good friends - and they are VERY hard to find. I'm still looking for someone who has the same interests and completely gets me, most of us are <3
    PM if you want to talk x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twm2)
    With my current best friend no. However back in the day I was best friends with this girl, and we, yet again, were complete polar opposites. All was OK for many years, in till one day when she cancelled her plans with me for the 50th time, I just felt like it isn't worth it to give so much to someone who gives so little back. So I cut her out. Its so important to surround yourself with supportive people we will help you achieve your dreams and not holding you back, don't get lost with those people who will hold you back, even if they do seem much cooler than you!

I'm not saying to cut friends out whenever they do something slightly wrong because you should support them as well, but just ask yourself: Am I happy in this relationship? Do they bring me joy, make me laugh, support me, are happy when I achieve something and so on? These are the good friends - and they are VERY hard to find. I'm still looking for someone who has the same interests and completely gets me, most of us are <3
    PM if you want to talk x
    but what if i answered kind of to all those questions?

ReputationRep:
    Kinda. My best friend back home got the exact opposite to me on the Myers Briggs test lel but that is somewhat misleading as we have a lot in common. In general I'm pretty shy and I prefer being around extroverts; they're so much easier to talk to. It's often rather hard work getting anything out of someone who is more like myself, and I'm usually not going to put much effort in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    but what if i answered kind of to all those questions?
    Assuming you are still in school, I mean its not like you are going to be around them for too long, so even if they aren't the best thing since slice bread, its ok, you will be gone in a few years and will be able to make new friends - at least that's what's going through my head.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.