Are you a good cook? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Wot. Stahp Apples TSR deserves to know I can't cook

Allow me to introduce myself.....
    Ok then you can't cook. Happy?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think, I am quite good in cooking. My friends liked what I have cooked yet, and what I have cooked for myself was also delicious.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    Pretty good.

Got my mother to teach me how to cook more complex dishes in the summer before third year of uni. I got so sick of living off crap. Have continued to teach myself with the aid of the internet for a few years.
    Did you have something learn by your grandmother? I remember me that she teached me tasty pancakes and how to cook and prepare semolina dumplings.

ReputationRep:
    I make a good chilli
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Cooking is fun and good food is delicious, there's no reason not to try and be a good cook if you can :ahee:

I do believe everyone old enough to call themselves a grown up should aim to be at least a decent cook though, and be able yo cook enough different meals for lunch and dinner for every day of the week as well as the basics like poaching eggs etc.

ReputationRep:
    I can follow a recipe well enough but wouldn't necessarily have the confidence to make up a dish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I make a good chilli
    Keep that in my mind, I like chilli!

(Original post by Gofre)
    Cooking is fun and good food is delicious, there's no reason not to try and be a good cook if you can :ahee:
    (...)
    That is right. Plus it is always such a pleased feeling to eat what was cooked by yourself, agree?

ReputationRep:
    no, but I mean, I can cook very basic stuff, slightly less basic than putting pre-heated food in the oven, although that is my go to strategy :rofl:

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    make serah.exe one
    the strange child is a pot noodle virgin
    so am I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

I do believe everyone old enough to call themselves a grown up should aim to be at least a decent cook though, and be able yo cook enough different meals for lunch and dinner for every day of the week as well as the basics like poaching eggs etc.
    I find poaching eggs rather difficult. Getting it aesthetically pleasing is the hard part, nice and round.

ReputationRep:
    When ever i whip some food up in my kitchen all my flatmates magically appear into the kitchen as the aroma is soo good and it also tastes good too!!!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I find poaching eggs rather difficult. Getting it aesthetically pleasing is the hard part, nice and round.
    It's all about fresh eggs :yep: the older the egg, the less viscous the white becomes which is what makes it all spindly in the water. Beyond that;

A) Simmering water, not boiling. Too many bubbles disturb the egg to much and create more spindly bits.
    B) Use as large of a pot of water as you can.
    C) Crack the egg into a ramekin or mug that you can lower into the water gently, as opposed to cracking it straight in.
    D) When you're ready to cook, take a whisk or wooden spoon and stir the water in circles until you create a "whirlpool" then immediately lower the egg into the centre of the whirlpool as close to the water as you can. The motion of the water will cause the egg white to wrap around a central point rather than dispersing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's all about fresh eggs :yep: the older the egg, the less viscous the white becomes which is what makes it all spindly in the water. Beyond that;

A) Simmering water, not boiling. Too many bubbles disturb the egg to much and create more spindly bits.
    B) Use as large of a pot of water as you can.
    C) Crack the egg into a ramekin or mug that you can lower into the water gently, as opposed to cracking it straight in.
    D) When you're ready to cook, take a whisk or wooden spoon and stir the water in circles until you create a "whirlpool" then immediately lower the egg into the centre of the whirlpool as close to the water as you can. The motion of the water will cause the egg white to wrap around a central point rather than dispersing.
    I use a water temperature of 80 deg. Do you not use any vinegar at all?

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright at cooking, but haven't tried to make anything very complicated. I'd say I'm fairly good at baking- My cookery partner and I won a competition in Food. Tech. once for making a cheesecake (though I don't actually like cheesecake all that much). That being said, the results of my efforts are a bit variable, so I won't be going on 'Bake Off' anytime soon.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I use a water temperature of 80 deg. Do you not use any vinegar at all?
    No need for vinegar, the combination of fresh eggs, whirlpool and gently lowering in is enough to keep the white tightly together. I only use vinegar if I'm stuck with fairly old eggs and the whites need some help setting.

ReputationRep:
    The kitchen is my toy , cooking of most important in my hobbies list . 😍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    so am I
    HOW :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    HOW :eek:
    With ease.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.