Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I'm not studying for a Psychology degree but I have a Psychology module for which I need to do a research critique of a quantitative study.

I found an article online called 'how to critique research' which has some great stuff that I wanted to use. But it's in a journal of surgery, written for surgeons.

My question is, can I still reference this or should I avoid it? I'm not a surgeon so the article is obviously not for me, but it has a lot of generic information that is really helpful. What should I do? Will the person marking my essay even care/notice?

Thanks!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think being interdisciplinary is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I think being interdisciplinary is fine.
    I agree, it shows that you actually did research and actually read things, rather than go for convenience. Maybe even comment on the fact that it's from a different field, but some things can be used across different sciences/fields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulbutterfly)
    Hey everyone. I'm not studying for a Psychology degree but I have a Psychology module for which I need to do a research critique of a quantitative study.

I found an article online called 'how to critique research' which has some great stuff that I wanted to use. But it's in a journal of surgery, written for surgeons.

My question is, can I still reference this or should I avoid it? I'm not a surgeon so the article is obviously not for me, but it has a lot of generic information that is really helpful. What should I do? Will the person marking my essay even care/notice?

Thanks!!
    Its fine, a lot of medical papers are very similar to psychology ones and have similar issues. It may not be the case with something like mathematics or history papers though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.