Which uni should I pick?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do computer science. Messed up AS level.
    maths - B - 1 mark off an A and would have got it if i didn't nearly **** myself in one of the exams.
    computer science - B
    Economics - D - what a disgrace lmao

I've been predicted A*AA. I can definitely get a good A in maths and an A* if I don't mess up C3 and C4. For Computer Science I am on the AQA spec, which is meant to be rock hard, although I don't find the theory that bad. Bit worried that I might drop a few marks on my project though. I'm really not sure about what complexity is to be expected and what the grade boundaries will be like. Economics will always be a bit unknown though so I'm quite worried about that.

Last mocks I got A*AA with the A* in Computer Science. However, the Computer Science mock was just on theory so doesn't reflect how I'll do on the disgusting programming paper. Also, Economics was just a 15 and 25 marker so not a great reflection overall.

I'm torn between three unis:

York - ABB
    Sheffield - no offer yet but lets say AAB should I get one
    Newcastle - unconditional should I put it first

Preferably I would want to go to York or Sheffield, and although I'm putting the work in, there's still some doubt regarding what I will actually come out with at the end of the year (especially in Economics). However, I also quite liked Newcastle, and choosing it would give me the security of definitely getting into a respectable uni (but didn't like it as much and it has been falling down in the tables). Although I'm not sure about A level performance I am certain I'm ready to do a degree and don't want to wait another year or anything. I want to do the best I possibly can in the future.

I really don't know which option to do, does anyone have any advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    How did you get A*AA as a prediction
    I got an A in one of my AS and my teacher predicted me a B, so I had to beg...

Anyway, I don't know much about the prospects of either uni, but I would say York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    How did you get A*AA as a prediction
    I got an A in one of my AS and my teacher predicted me a B, so I had to beg...

Anyway, I don't know much about the prospects of either uni, but I would say York.
    I was well on the way for an A in maths but ****ed s1 up getting a C so missed out. Turns out I was still getting U's in Computer Science with like a month until the exam so my vast improvement got me an A hahah. Economics I had to beg. I am genuinely working for it this year though.

Going with the complete university guide tables as an indicator, Sheffield is 12th, York 14th and Newcastle 25th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSciAtUni)
    I was well on the way for an A in maths but ****ed s1 up getting a C so missed out. Turns out I was still getting U's in Computer Science with like a month until the exam so my vast improvement got me an A hahah. Economics I had to beg. I am genuinely working for it this year though.

Going with the complete university guide tables as an indicator, Sheffield is 12th, York 14th and Newcastle 25th.
    Ah fair enough, are you predicted A* in math, if so what did you get as your UMS?
    I don't think you should take too much notion to those rankings, look at the individual prospects of those uni's to see if they'd help you get where you need to be.
    For instance, if you look at the general rankings on the complete university guide tables -- Loughborough, for instance is above Warwick and UCL, (although it is still a good uni).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Ah fair enough, are you predicted A* in math, if so what did you get as your UMS?
    I don't think you should take too much notion to those rankings, look at the individual prospects of those uni's to see if they'd help you get where you need to be.
    For instance, if you look at the general rankings on the complete university guide tables -- Loughborough, for instance is above Warwick and UCL, (although it is still a good uni).
    I'm not sure about UMS but 1 mark off an A. And I did get the feeling at open days that Sheffield and York had better links with employers. I just don't want to end up messing up and being left in a bad position on results day. Confidence is low atm.

ReputationRep:
    Is the offer to Newcastle totally unconditional or is it unconditional if firmed. If it is totally unconditional then consider putting it as your insurance. At least then if you miss your firm offer you won't have to go into clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    Is the offer to Newcastle totally unconditional or is it unconditional if firmed. If it is totally unconditional then consider putting it as your insurance. At least then if you miss your firm offer you won't have to go into clearing.
    Unconditional if firmed I'm afraid

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 12, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
What is your favourite pancake topping?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.