Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I seem to have this growing and notable feeling inside of me when I send messages in my phones, especially to females. I always keep starring across now and then to see if there is a notification to show that I have received a message and I am on edge waiting for a reply. I don't know why this is, I do have an active life (work full-time, out a few times in the week and travel with friends) but it seems to be the case that this takes up so much head space.

What is worse is when someone has read a message and not replied then that really impacts my mood. This is linked to the issue I have had in some past relationships where I have come on to strong early on or been too keen.

It is really making me think about what I can do to alleviate this as it is a clear issue (also I am fully aware that on the scale of mental health issues this may seem petty). Anyone gone through or know of anyone who has gone through something similar and has tips on what I can do here?

Thanks

xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I seem to have this growing and notable feeling inside of me when I send messages in my phones, especially to females. I always keep starring across now and then to see if there is a notification to show that I have received a message and I am on edge waiting for a reply. I don't know why this is, I do have an active life (work full-time, out a few times in the week and travel with friends) but it seems to be the case that this takes up so much head space.

What is worse is when someone has read a message and not replied then that really impacts my mood. This is linked to the issue I have had in some past relationships where I have come on to strong early on or been too keen.

It is really making me think about what I can do to alleviate this as it is a clear issue (also I am fully aware that on the scale of mental health issues this may seem petty). Anyone gone through or know of anyone who has gone through something similar and has tips on what I can do here?

Thanks

xx
    Sorry for the late reply! This is quite common with anxiety I think, I know I'm the same definitely. Have you seen your GP at all? If it's affecting your everyday life- which it sounds like it might be- it's worth doing, you won't be wasting their time. Look into stuff online like moodgym (google it- online CBT course) too, they might help too. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello Anonymous, I am not an expert but do have experience with mental health issues. There appears to be anxiety there. It may be an anxiety issue on its own or perhaps anxiety as a symptom of something else. Have a read about OCD in case that is an issue, but I think that Borderline Personality Disorder sounds more likely. It does get a bad stigma but can be helped. Read up on it and see if it fits you. People with it tend to report high levels of jealousy with partners, they also can put someone on a pedestal at one time and view them very negatively another with generally a high frequency. I could be reading way too much into the little info given and don't make any claims or assumptions about you. Take what I say with a pinch of salt and have a good read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2599129 and move onto another reputable source if you think there is something to research. There are also other forums out there that deal with particular problems and there may be a good community to get support from and an understanding of the daily problems connected to it.
    I sincerely hope that helps you find or eliminate possibilities. The more that you understand your strengths and weaknesses, the taller and stronger you can stand.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the only time you seem to experience anxiety type feelings?
    I personally don't get anxious when sending messages, or not getting a reply unless it's something quite important.
    Mind you, everyone's anxiety is different.

How to avoid such feeling when messaging? Idk, but personally I would try to avoid looking to see if the person has replied or not for as long as possible. I think the more you resist against it, the easier it will become. Then again, I could be wrong.

Do try to identify if you experience high levels of anxiety in other areas of your life as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.