The Student Room Group

Further Maths module combinations

So by the end of this year I will have taken 13 A level maths modules:

C1-4
FP1-3
S1-3
M1-2
D1

Because I'm doing 13 modules instead of 12, I understand that one of my poorer results won't count towards either Maths or Further Maths. It's unlikely to be necessary, but is it possible to drop one of the lower numbered modules and still include a higher numbered one in the same category - i.e. if S2 was my worst module, could I not count it but still include S3 under Further Maths? Or could I exclude M1 while still including M2?

(I know FP2 and FP3 are an exception to this rule as either can be taken without the other; my question is focused on applied modules.)
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
So by the end of this year I will have taken 13 A level maths modules:

C1-4
FP1-3
S1-3
M1-2
D1

Because I'm doing 13 modules instead of 12, I understand that one of my poorer results won't count towards either Maths or Further Maths. It's unlikely to be necessary, but is it possible to drop one of the lower numbered modules and still include a higher numbered one in the same category - i.e. if S2 was my worst module, could I not count it but still include S3 under Further Maths? Or could I exclude M1 while still including M2?

(I know FP2 and FP3 are an exception to this rule as either can be taken without the other; my question is focused on applied modules.)

I am going to assume Edexcel Maths, because that's the impression I am getting. If I am wrong, let me know and I will change the information accordingly.

Your A Level Maths has to be made up of C1-4 and either:

M1 and M2

S1 and S2

D1 and D2

M1 and S1

M1 and D1

S1 and D1

Your A Level Further Maths has to be made up of FP1 and either:

FP2 , FP3 and 3 applied units not in your A Level Maths

FP2 or FP3 and 4 applied units not in your A Level Maths

As long as both these conditions are met first, you have the freedom to choose your modules accordingly. There is then no constraint on what modules you can take.

In other words, you can have S3 in your A Level Further Maths and have S2 excluded from the overall award. You can also have M2 in A Level Further Maths and not M1.

Importantly, though, it is not the case that, for example, your S3 can end up being in A Level Maths and your S1 in A Level Further Maths in exchange.

However, you should remember that the only system that does the module assortment is the Edexcel algorithm. Unfortunately, you will be at no liberty to say what to include and where to include it, unless, come results day, a different arrangement of modules will result in a grade change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, I am with Edexcel - sorry for not mentioning it. And thank you very much for your help - that answers all my questions.
is this possible:

Maths: c1 c2 c3 c4 d2 m2

Further: FP1 FP2 FP3 S1 M1 D1

(the point i am trying to stress is that i only will have 2 A2 units in further)
Original post by jonny5263
is this possible:

Maths: c1 c2 c3 c4 d2 m2

Further: FP1 FP2 FP3 S1 M1 D1

(the point i am trying to stress is that i only will have 2 A2 units in further)
No; this is not possible. The reason is that you can't put D2 in maths and then D1 in Further (the same with M2/M1).

The way it works is that C1-4 obviously have to be in Maths, along with either two applied '1' modules (e.g. M1, S1) or a '1' and a '2' from the same category (e.g. D1, D2). And then the rest go in Further Maths (including the mandatory FP1 and FP2/FP3).

They will choose the applied combination to use in Maths to maximise your grade in Maths; once they've found what your maximum grade in Maths can be, they will then look at how to maximise your Further Maths grade. This is all done automatically.
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
No; this is not possible. The reason is that you can't put D2 in maths and then D1 in Further (the same with M2/M1).

The way it works is that C1-4 obviously have to be in Maths, along with either two applied '1' modules (e.g. M1, S1) or a '1' and a '2' from the same category (e.g. D1, D2). And then the rest go in Further Maths (including the mandatory FP1 and FP2/FP3).

They will choose the applied combination to use in Maths to maximise your grade in Maths; once they've found what your maximum grade in Maths can be, they will then look at how to maximise your Further Maths grade. This is all done automatically.

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest