Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do liberal democracies have such meh music compared to dictatorships?
    Compare this:

To the trash pop music and other kinds of degenerate music that we have to put up with.

ReputationRep:
    Great music on liberty is also made during illiberal times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOuYHfwitw (Sub Eng, probably kills it)

Maybe it's a problem of contemporary rather than liberal music. Anyways democracies lack the incentive to convey a powerful idea of homeland or liberty through music, which instead focuses on silly themes like love. Our music is not necessarily bad, it's just more disengaged, light and superficial, which is probably a positive sign that we are having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal democracies produce lots of music, not just trashy pop.

If you can't find music you enjoy then that's probably down to your insufficient attempts to find it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    Great music on liberty is also made during illiberal times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOuYHfwitw (Sub Eng, probably kills it)

Maybe it's a problem of contemporary rather than liberal music. Anyways democracies lack the incentive to convey a powerful idea of homeland or liberty through music, which instead focuses on silly themes like love. Our music is not necessarily bad, it's just more disengaged, light and superficial, which is probably a positive sign that we are having a good time.
    Many, many artists in liberal democracies produce music that is neither disengaged nor light nor superficial. I think you're probably referring more to the music that is given prominent exposure through mainstream media outlets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Liberal democracies produce lots of music, not just trashy pop.
    If you can't find music you enjoy then that's probably down to your insufficient attempts to find it.
    Many, many artists in liberal democracies produce music that is neither disengaged nor light nor superficial. I think you're probably referring more to the music that is given prominent exposure through mainstream media outlets.
    As far as I'm concerned, there is lots of contemporary music I enjoy.
    I was referring to mainstream music, more or less the only contemporary music I'm exposed to, but if you have something on par with "Va pensiero" nothing is stopping you from backing your statements with links as we did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    As far as I'm concerned, there is lots of contemporary music I enjoy.
    I was referring to mainstream music, more or less the only contemporary music I'm exposed to, but if you have something on par with "Va pensiero" nothing is stopping you from backing your statements with links as we did.
    Taste in music is highly subjective so, whilst I could easily name a score of compositions I find superior, you may disagree entirely.

What is seems you are actually commenting upon is that the majority of people do not share your taste in music, whether this in itself is the source of your discontent or whether it is that this makes casual exposure to music you like less likely.

ReputationRep:
    Taste in music is highly subjective so, whilst I could easily name a score of compositions I find superior, you may disagree entirely.

What is seems you are actually commenting upon is that the majority of people do not share your taste in music, whether this in itself is the source of your discontent or whether it is that this makes casual exposure to music you like less likely.
    I'm not the OP. As I said, there is lots of contemporary music that I like and I don't think that countries in the past or dictatorships necessarily made better music, but maybe they made more "powerful" music since the main themes they dealt with where well suited for this.

Anyways, in general, the highest moments of music, literature and art belong to the past, that's a dogma for me, but it doesn't mean I despise modern architecture, all recent books and contemporary music.

ReputationRep:

The temptation to just get up and give the fascist salute is real.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.