Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am mildly considering doing an OU degree although I am very skeptical, however I have questions:

1. I noticed you can do HNDs and HNCs that carry credits if you did a HNC then did a HND this would total 360 credits does this mean you have a degree?

2. I saw on the site you can get credit transfers lets say you had enough credits that equate to the first two years of a degree. Could you transfer these credits you obtained to a completely unrelated course, and simply do a years worth of work to get a degree?

3. Is the OU student community buzzing or is their student area dry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that if you complete a HND and a HNC to aquire enough credits it can be converted into a degree. In regards to your second question - while I don't know with absolute certainity - I doubt you would ever be allowed to just do one year of an unrelated subject and gain a degree.

Interaction with other students is primarily through forums. However, there are lots of ways and oppertunities to meet people. Your module forums are assigned in clusters so the people you talk to on their will be fairly local, you will also meet them at face-to-face tutorials if you chose to attend, and many people make study groups and will meet in coffee shops etc. There are also student associations which are based online also but many have local groups and meet up.

I love studying with the OU, it's been a great expeirence and I find it suits me much better than a brick uni. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, either on here or you can message me
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    I am mildly considering doing an OU degree although I am very skeptical, however I have questions:

1. I noticed you can do HNDs and HNCs that carry credits if you did a HNC then did a HND this would total 360 credits does this mean you have a degree?

2. I saw on the site you can get credit transfers lets say you had enough credits that equate to the first two years of a degree. Could you transfer these credits you obtained to a completely unrelated course, and simply do a years worth of work to get a degree?

3. Is the OU student community buzzing or is their student area dry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. No, doing a HNC and a HND does not = a degree. An OU degree is made up of 120 credits at level 1, 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3. You could in theory do a HNC or a HND (not both) and then transfer those credits into the OU. See here for more information: http://www.open.ac.uk/choose/college...ilding-your-hn

2. No, you can't transfer completely unrelated credits into a different degree (e.g. 240 credits in biology, then transfer into a history degree). If you don't want to study the subject you did your HND credits in then you can transfer into the Open degree. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd

3. Each module has their own facebook groups, some are more active than others.

ReputationRep:
    For the social side of things: alongside the forums and facebook groups for your degree and/or module, there's also facebook groups like "The OU Social" where events are organised, and the Open University student bar group, which has more conversation and is the liveliest, really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.