Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1117 – English Votes for English Laws Bill 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Myself, Andrew, Joe, George is 4 seats right there; fear not we will recruit more people and we have some trump cards lined up for when we get a TSR sub forum.
    :eek:

Spoiler:
    Show

• Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain, unsure how to vote and don't see heavily compelling ideas for either side.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I must agree with Aph on this one.

when we take at least 5 Tory seats at the next election.
    Are you so sure about that?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 the typo in the header is really annoying!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Hear, hear.

*general muttering of approval from government benches*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have changed it here, but it should be noted I received it from the submitter as 'voted' It should be down to the submitter to ensure all legislation is correct when it leaves them!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    I have changed it here, but it should be noted I received it from the submitter as 'voted' It should be down to the submitter to ensure all legislation is correct when it leaves them!
    I agree with this. Tbh I wouldn't even change it unless/until the submitter requests it. Let them look foolish.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I agree with this. Tbh I wouldn't even change it unless/until the submitter requests it. Let them look foolish.
    I really should!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Lol no the solution is regional parliaments for England.
    Fear not! I have a bill up my sleeve, otherwise nay on the bill as regional parliaments is the way forward.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Myself, Andrew, Joe, George is 4 seats right there; fear not we will recruit more people and we have some trump cards lined up for when we get a TSR sub forum.
    I have the best TRUMP cards. Believe me. Nobody has better TRUMP cards than me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    I have the best TRUMP cards. Believe me. Nobody has better TRUMP cards than me.
    What about DJT himself? ( PS you have been repped)

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    What about DJT himself? ( PS you have been repped)
    He doesn't need TRUMP cards.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    In which case I am very strongly opposed, as it amounts to an English dictatorship over the devolved nations.
    Ummm.... Are we victims of a French dictatorship given we have no say in their parliament?

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Except IIRC the Scottish Parliament can only vary income tax by up to 10p and cannot change the bands, so it's hard to write an income tax bill with no effect on Scotland.
    In April they get full control, and probably won't use it

(Original post by Aph)
    So all the Scottish MP's could declare Scotland independent in parliament and no one could stop them?
    Something tells me that would not be considered a Scotland only issue, current powers also only cover England or England and Wales on the basis that Scotland and Wales have their owned devolved bodies to enact legislation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Nay
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Nay
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    nay
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Nay
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    nay
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I don't believe this is necessary, nay
    Thank you for your valuable input, it has been most valuable. In case you didn't realise, this is a debate thread, not oral division, your reasonless objection to increased parity has been noted, and I shall propose in due course to abolish the devolved assemblies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Thank you for your valuable input, it has been most valuable. In case you didn't realise, this is a debate thread, not oral division, your reasonless objection to increased parity has been noted, and I shall propose in due course to abolish the devolved assemblies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Duping is bad, Nigel.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fine, I’ll give my reasoning:
    - This effectively creates two parliaments and is expensive, devaluing the contribution of non-English MPs
    - I believe in a federal UK, i.e either regional parliaments or an English parliament
    - Thus, this is creating more of a problem by creating a never-ending bureaucracy. What next, East Anglia votes for East Anglia laws?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

Encouraging the legal and cultural divisions between regions of our great union only weakens it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.