Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1118 – Legalised Games of Chance and Skill Control Commission (Formation) Bill 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Of course it must purport to be winnable (though why anyone would knowingly bet on a scenario that cannot occur is beyond me). Isn't roulette 'winnable'?
    No. In the long run, a non-rigged table is unbeatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    This sounds ridiculous to me.

I do not believe that the government should interfere in the running of attractions like this.
    Even the AnCaps agree in the sancity of contract. This is simply to set up a commission to make sure that the informal contracts set up at these game kiosks and stalls are valid and fair. There is an implication that there is a chance at winning the game. If the owner cannot win the game in 100 attempts, there is no feasible chance at winning the game. Therefore these kiosks are falsely advertising. They are also breaking the idea of consideration under contract law which states that both parties must be offering something of practical value in the contract, which if there is no chance of winning the game, the kiosk owner clearly isn't.

It's an Aye from me. Although, I think this commission should have greater scope to investigate matters such as advertising at betting shops etc.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    No. In the long run, a non-rigged table is unbeatable.
    Surely what matters isn't the long-run but the individual game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Surely what matters isn't the long-run but the individual game?
    Depends on your interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Seem like necessary anti-fraud measures to me, aye. However I am a bit skeptical of the creation of a new bureaucracy to oversee something so minor as carnival games.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Does a maximum of 5 years per offense really mean maximum 15 years but worded that way to make it sound fairer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea but could you please give me a rough idea of how much this adjudicator committee would cost to set up and run?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    abstain
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

It is not the responsibility of an overbearing state to regulate every personal choice. Hell, if anything i think current gambling regulation is too high and were i able to get it past the party, you'd have a bill to that effect before the House.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered cessation!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill has been withdrawn!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.