Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VM421 - Russian Sanctions Motion 2017 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this motion be passed ?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    20.83%
    On the contrary, No
    58.33%
    Abstain
    20.83%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    M421 - Russian Sanctions Motion 2017, TSR UKIP

This House Recognizes That:
    • The United Kingdom currently participates in economic sanctions on the Russian Federation in coordination with the European Union.
    • That these sanctions have been ineffective in deterring Russian aggression.
    • That these sanctions have failed to harm the targeted oligarchs of the Russian Federation.
    • That these sanctions have harmed the ordinary Russian people, who were not targeted.
    • That these sanctions have led to more resentment of the West by the Russian people, and negatively impacted relations.
    • That these sanctions have negatively impacted the UK economy.

This House urges:
    • That the government commits itself to not resume sanctions on the Russian Federation.
    • That the government forges better relations with President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Government for the mutual benefit of both nations.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone from TSR UKIP or anyone can give me evidence the sanctions have damaged the UK economy and, I shall change my vote to an aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I believe I am being generous in saying the rationale is only poor. Nay,

ReputationRep:
    Whilst your wrong about the economy i dont see how having a broken relationship with Russia is a good thing, its time we worked together and had more cooperation. Someone needs to put their hand out first, i think the UK would do it best.

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 has abstain ever won a vote in division b4?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Not from what I can recall!

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I believe so - though it's obviously immensely rare.

ReputationRep:
    The sanctions against Russia are pathetic and don't help anybody. It's about time the West stopped treating Putin like a naughty little child and stopped using Russia as a scapegoat for all the world's problems.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstention cannot win, it can get the most votes but cannot win, the winner is a binary matter, either it passes, with more ayes than noes, or it doesn't.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    . Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, It's time to get rid of these sanctions against Russia. I would also say that Russia should get East Ukraine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 10
    Noes to the left: 28
    Abstentions: 10
    The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!
    Turnout: 96%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.