Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should you open a student bank account before or after applying for student finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that as part of the Student Finance application you need to have a bank account; I also know that it is recommended for students to get a student-specific bank account, e.g. from Santander, HSBC, etc.

My question is should I open a student bank account before applying for student finance? So all my loans, transactions, tuition fees etc. can be processed through this account?

Or do most people use their normal account, and set up a student account later? If so, should I use my savings or current account for student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aetcode)
    I know that as part of the Student Finance application you need to have a bank account; I also know that it is recommended for students to get a student-specific bank account, e.g. from Santander, HSBC, etc.

My question is should I open a student bank account before applying for student finance? So all my loans, transactions, tuition fees etc. can be processed through this account?

Or do most people use their normal account, and set up a student account later? If so, should I use my savings or current account for student finance?
    You need to apply for Student Finance first as you can't open a Student Bank account until AFTER your results when your uni place is confirmed.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Put your current current account down then you can change it to a student account later on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You need to apply for Student Finance first as you can't open a Student Bank account until AFTER your results when your uni place is confirmed.
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Put your current current account down then you can change it to a student account later on

I'm on a gap year, so I have my results & a confirmed uni place. I've got the number UCAS sent me to open a student account with, even though I haven't used it yet. In this case would you recommend skipping the middle man and applying directly with a student account?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, so I have my results & a confirmed uni place. I've got the number UCAS sent me to open a student account with, even though I haven't used it yet. In this case would you recommend skipping the middle man and applying directly with a student account?
    You may get rejected for one until august, banks aren't keen on giving out student overdrafts early.

ReputationRep:
    You need the letter and, yes, if you've got that then open a Student Account.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.