Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study adult nursing beginning September 2017. The year where nursing bursaries have stopped. Because of this I'm required to depend only on my maintenance loan as you are not allowed/don't have much time for a part time job. However, my maintenance loan is only enough to pay for my accommodation. And my parents cannot give much as they do not have a lot of "spare money" (due to high bills/taxes) . Is there any help I can get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le47sn)
    I'm going to study adult nursing beginning September 2017. The year where nursing bursaries have stopped. Because of this I'm required to depend only on my maintenance loan as you are not allowed/don't have much time for a part time job. However, my maintenance loan is only enough to pay for my accommodation. And my parents cannot give much as they do not have a lot of "spare money" (due to high bills/taxes) . Is there any help I can get?
    I would say 3/4 of healthcare students (not just student nurses) work part time around classes and placement.
    It is very doable. You just need a flexible job (banking hours / 0 hour contracts are best).
    Many students tend to work banking nhs or agency shifts. This means you can say when you're available to work and get shifts and are not required to work a fixed contract, ie every Saturday.
    Some universities may also do a hardship fund etc, so this is also worth looking into if you think you're going to struggle financially.
    But due to the loans coming in you'll actually be better off financially than a lot of students have been when relying on the bursaries.
    Either way, look at getting a part time job with the NHS as a bank health care assistant or with an agency.
    They are always understanding of students hours and really appreciate them as they always have a willingness to learn and are very eager when on shift.
    Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.