Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it seems for alot of work places...usually offices, men are generally paid more for doing the same job as a women...This is so unfair anyone agree??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiegirl2004)
    it seems for alot of work places...usually offices, men are generally paid more for doing the same job as a women...This is so unfair anyone agree??? :confused:
    It does happen, it shouldn't now though as it is illegal I believe. Some thing to do with anti discrimination and equal rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    It does happen, it shouldn't now though as it is illegal I believe. Some thing to do with anti discrimination and equal rights?
    although it is illegal..i think...it does still happen alot

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it still happens a hell of a lot, especially in industry.

ReputationRep:
    Actually i seem to remember seeing a news article that said it's actually recently switched to women getting paid more on average. However it didnt say that that was for the same jobs, just in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taldarion)
    Actually i seem to remember seeing a news article that said it's actually recently switched to women getting paid more on average. However it didnt say that that was for the same jobs, just in general
    The legislation is against men being paid less for doing the same job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taldarion)
    i saw on the news recently that men are getting paid more for the exact same job as women do...UNFAIR!!!!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i saw on the news recently that men are getting paid more for the exact same job as women do...UNFAIR!!!!! :confused:
    Whether illegal or not it is unfair. But don't forget men also have to pay for thigs like meals out and drinks for the girls in our life!! I do that for my best mate and i think over the past year i have spent close to £5000 on her because of that 'custom'!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Whether illegal or not it is unfair. But don't forget men also have to pay for thigs like meals out and drinks for the girls in our life!! I do that for my best mate and i think over the past year i have spent close to £5000 on her because of that 'custom'!!
    One of the main excuses employers give is that they still see the man as the main breadwinner and so he needs a greater salary.

ReputationRep:
    well a woman is more likley to get the job in the first place as there is sooooooooooooooo much positive descrimination....... not only towards women but the ethnic minorites ( *wonders how long the word minorities will be used*) 2 years ago while in yr 11 i did a newpaper article for part of my GCSE english and interview the headteacher in the interview he frankly told me that he would employ a teacher from an ethnic minority over a white teacher even if the white teacher was more qualified as we only had 2 teachers from ethnic minorities .... I feel that woman get the same treatment ..so yes woman might not get paid as much but they arn't the only ones hard done by

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    well a woman is more likley to get the job in the first place as there is sooooooooooooooo much positive descrimination....... not only towards women but the ethnic minorites ( *wonders how long the word minorities will be used*) 2 years ago while in yr 11 i did a newpaper article for part of my GCSE english and interview the headteacher in the interview he frankly told me that he would employ a teacher from an ethnic minority over a white teacher even if the white teacher was more qualified as we only had 2 teachers from ethnic minorities .... I feel that woman get the same treatment ..so yes woman might not get paid as much but they arn't the only ones hard done by
    Perhaps your Head Teacher felt that exposure to more teachers from ethnic minorities would be beneficial to the students at your school. That's the sort of thing you can't get in a qualification.

The only reason we have 'positive discrimination' towards people in ethnic minorities and women is because for thousands of years there has been 'positive discrimination' towards (white) men!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Perhaps your Head Teacher felt that exposure to more teachers from ethnic minorities would be beneficial to the students at your school. That's the sort of thing you can't get in a qualification.

The only reason we have 'positive discrimination' towards people in ethnic minorities and women is because for thousands of years there has been 'positive discrimination' towards (white) men!

but that doesn't make positive discrimination right ....... for years white people enslaved the blacks but thats doesn't make it right for blacks to now enslave whites .... the past is there to the be learnt from not make the same mistakes again ........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    but that doesn't make positive discrimination right ....... for years white people enslaved the blacks but thats doesn't make it right for blacks to now enslave whites .... the past is there to the be learnt from not make the same mistakes again ........
    That's a bad analogy. We're just trying to even things up a bit. Once things are getting a bit more equal then we won't need to bother anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Its not as commonplace as many would like us to believe but the fact it continues to exist is ridiculous and more than a little perplexing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    That's a bad analogy.
    but totally acceptable bearing in mind the poor reason you gave.

We're just trying to even things up a bit. Once things are getting a bit more equal then we won't need to bother anymore.
    making equal and promoting one race, sex above the other are not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, men DO NOT get paid more for doing the same jobs as women, as this is illegal.

However, there is a sneaky tactic, sometimes used by bosses in industry, and that is to create a glass ceiling for women, by not promoting them, and paying men more money for doing SIMILAR (not the same) jobs.

But what do you expect ? Of course bosses are going to act in this way because of the pressure for them not to be seen as racist or sexist. If a white man is promoted over say, an asian woman, then she can claim both sexism and racism. This isnt fair, because then the boss has to explain to a tribunal chair, who may have no experience of his industry or sector, why the white male is better suited for the job. And since the claim of racism/sexism has been brought, most people assume it true and it becomes increasingly difficult for the boss to explain his actions. That's not fair.

I'm all for equality of sex and race and every defining characteristic you can think of. I just wish people wouldn't take the piss and use the race/gender/sexuality/religion card every single time something doesn't go their way. I'm not saying everyone does it, but some people certainly do.

The legislation is in place to protect people against discrimination, and what it does is great up to a point. But when it stops protecting people against discrimination, and starts sheltering people from the reality that you may not be the best at everything you do, and so will not get every job or every promotion you want; it becomes a nightmare.

Marc

EDIT: I do realise that most of this is off-topic, but still valid on the whole i think ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    On the whole, men DO NOT get paid more for doing the same jobs as women, as this is illegal.

However, there is a sneaky tactic, sometimes used by bosses in industry, and that is to create a glass ceiling for women, by not promoting them, and paying men more money for doing SIMILAR (not the same) jobs.
    The other risk is nepotism, old boys network etc.

While in the case I am thinking of, the person promoted was a woman, she was clearly promoted as she was good friends with the boss, as opposed to any qualifications. The boss probably thought, "I know X would do a very good job, I have no idea about the external candidates." Was the boss simply taking the right decision for the company, or should he have more carefully considered the external candidates. Is a qualification more important than knowing someone is suited to the job, or is it the other way around?

Such things are often seen as sexual discrimination, as the guys are more likely to go out drinking with the boss after work.

ReputationRep:
    that's where one must strike a balance.

If the company can promote internally then it will do so, because it promotes continuity and people can recognise the same faces. However, if the internal candiadate is not good enough, then the compnay SHOULD look outside in the best interests of the company.

Howver, in answer to your question, I believe that knowledge of someone being able to do a job is more important than any qualifications they might have. A qualification does not guarentee you can do a job, because theory and practice are quite different. Also, consider that those without qualifications can be sucessful and do the job required of them. I'm thinking of famous examples like James Dyson and Richard Branson who left school with few qualifications and who are no very sucessful.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.