The Student Room Group

Help M1 vectors question

part 3 I have absolutely no clue what to do
Reply 1
Original post by Chemgawd99

You can use part ii to help.

You have shown that the path of the particle follows a parabola. There will be a point on this parabola where the particle is moving at 45 degrees to the axes. Think about gradient.

Please post your working / thoughts if you gets stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by Chemgawd99

If you think about what the angle of 45 degrees actually looks like

Spoiler

think about what very simple Cartesian equation it is the same as.
Once you have the equation of that you now have 2 equations of 2 lines and thus need to find the point where they intersect, so you can make them equal to each other and solve for x, and remember to substitute back in the x value to find the y value :h:
Reply 3
Original post by KaylaB

Spoiler

Once you have the equation of that you now have 2 equations of 2 lines and thus need to find the point where they intersect, so you can make them equal to each other and solve for x, and remember to substitute back in the x value to find the y value :h:

I don't think this is right since you're looking for where the direction is at an angle of 45. Your method will give you where the x coordinate is equal to the y-coordinate but that isn't necessarily where the direction is at a 45 degree angle.
Reply 4
Original post by KaylaB

Spoiler

thanks but im still a bit lost. I can only think of y=x
Reply 5
the mark scheme says dy/dx = 1. that's from the line y=x I guess. setting the differenial of Cartesian equation to 1 and solving gave me the right x coordinate 1/8 I then subbed into y and got -15/16 which is right. HOWEVER, I don't understand why this is :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
I don't think this is right since you're looking for where the direction is at an angle of 45. Your method will give you where the x coordinate is equal to the y-coordinate but that isn't necessarily where the direction is at a 45 degree angle.

But it says 45 degree angle to both Ox and Oy where O is the origin, so would that not just mean along the line y=x or am I just adding to the confusion? :hmmmm:
Reply 7
Original post by KaylaB
But it says 45 degree angle to both Ox and Oy where O is the origin, so would that not just mean along the line y=x or am I just adding to the confusion? :hmmmm:

The cartesian equation is the path of the particle, it doesn't show you the velocity.

So the particle is going to follow this parabola path. The direction of the particle will be the gradient of this parabola.

y = x on this parabola isn't the point where the gradient is at a 45 degree angle.

Quick Reply

Latest