This discussion is closed.
studytosucceed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i plan to become a nurse one day and whenever i tell people they're shocked. The other day i was talking to a friend and we started discussing future careers . I told them i was interested in nursing and she said "that's a dumb job , you're too clever for that and you should look to become a doctor instead " . I told her it definitely wasn't dumb. Im an A/B student but wouldn't want to become a doctor as im not good nor enjoy maths and physics and is a career I wouldn't want to go into but i still have immense respect for doctors

My question is do you think nurses aren't clever? Why or why not? Im interested to hear people's opinions. Many regarding nursing as a bad unrespectful job, however is disagree!

edit: i wrote this in a rush and im new to here so i dont even know how to edit the title. i tried and no its not for irony lol
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some are, some aren't.
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Obviously it is more of a practical job. I would put it into a similar category as a plumber. It is not a dumb job but at the same time you don't need to be Einstein to do it. It's just an average job for an average person. Respectable but not impressive.

There are not many jobs you need to be particularly clever for though.
Percypig17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DreamerBeliever)
So i plan to become a nurse one day and whenever i tell people they're shocked. The other day i was talking to a friend and we started discussing future careers . I told them i was interested in nursing and she said "that's a dumb job , you're too clever for that and you should look to become a doctor instead " . I told her it definitely wasn't dumb. Im an A/B student but wouldn't want to become a doctor as im not good nor enjoy maths and physics and is a career I wouldn't want to go into but i still have immense respect for doctors

My question is do you think nurses aren't clever? Why or why not? Im interested to hear people's opinions. Many regarding nursing as a bad unrespectful job, however is disagree!
You don't really need maths or physics to become a doctor.
username1402543
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hey not at all. To be honest doctors are general in their career paths. It is the nurses that do all the hard work trust me if you watch 'hospital' or even study a nursing subject then the real insight is always correlated with nurses/surgeon. The problem arises where doctors are given the higher platform and portrayed as heroes with a special cape whereas nurses are degraded as they have a stigma that they are only there to assist doctors. This is completley false and a misconception. In fact nurses do multiple jobs in one occupation and doctors only have one job holistically.
username861942
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Do what you want to do - you said you wouldn't want to be a doctor, so that is that.

But in answer to your question - some nurses will be very clever, others not so clever, just like pretty much every job in the world. But being clever doesn't mean you are suddenly very useful or respectable. I work in mental health. I have seen many (very clever) doctors who are terrible with people - which I argue makes them pretty useless at their job as they are working with people. The point is, your intelligence is largely irrelevant when you are working with people. Plus, I would recommend anyone who thinks that a nursing course is easy to try it - the constant reflection on your practice, full time work with no reimbursement, much less holiday and constant observations - it's not for everyone.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MiszShortee786)
It is the nurses that do all the hard work trust me.
Haha, ok.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In fact nurses do multiple jobs in one occupation and doctors only have one job holistically.
Haha, funny that. Because in the course of a single work day, I perform my duties as a doctor, as well as take on responsibilities which in a less pressurised/overstretched environment are actually those of a nurse, HCA, porter, secretary, social worker and teacher.

Yep, being a doctor sure is a monotonous and non-physically exhausting job!
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The healthcare system would collapse if there weren't people like nurses, radiographers, pharmacy technicians, opthamal dispensers etc. We need these people aka we need you. It doesn't matter what other people think of what you are doing. I'm going to study Diagnostic Radiography at university and often people come up to me like "You want to study x rays for a living?" and most of them don't even know what radiography is. I try not to let it phase me though because I am contributing to healthcare and saving lives, because without these x rays doctors wouldn't know what they are treating. Doctors aren't the only smartest people in healthcare - you get some really clever high end nurses who are authorised to prescribe some medicines. Nurses are doing CPR and stabilizing shock/trauma patients across the country all day every day. The lives they save cannot even be counted. yes nurses save lives, and often do a lot more good for their patients than the doctors.

Do what you want to do and do not listen to what other people have to say.
username1402543
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Haha, ok.
Im not undermining doctors all im stating is that out of the two if you ponder over it its the nurses that makes a hospital run not the doctors.
username1402543
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Haha, funny that. Because in the course of a single work day, I perform my duties as a doctor, as well as take on responsibilities which in a less pressurised/overstretched environment are actually those of a nurse, HCA, porter, secretary, social worker and teacher.

Yep, being a doctor sure is a monotonous and non-physically exhausting job!
And in the course of being a nurse as well as being overwhelmed with daily patients(just like doctors) except half of the doctors dont give proper diagnostics so then the patient has no better option but to run to us nurses to give them proper treatment.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Don't let not doing maths or physics put you off. It's perfectly possible to become a doctor without taking either of those subjects at A-level.

Being a doctor would give you a much higher salary, and a more interesting job realistically.

https://www.theguardian.com/healthca...-nurse-uk-quit

This is an interesting article pointing out how difficult and unsatisfying a job being a nurse can be, and how little respect they get in the UK.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And in the course of being a nurse as well as being overwhelmed with daily patients(just like doctors) except half of the doctors dont give proper diagnostics so then the patient has no better option but to run to us nurses to give them proper treatment.
Even if that deeply flawed and non-evidence based statement were true (which it isn't lmao), how does that mean that nurses do multiple jobs and doctors don't?

Also, since when is it a competition anyway? 21st century healthcare requires the involvement of many different groups of professionals, all of whom are important and have a particular role to play. Just because the OP's friend (most likely someone who's not even in healthcare) has made an idiotic sweeping judgement doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon and get a chip on your shoulder.
fleur_de_haine
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh really? Examples of this 'proper treatment'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blackstarr
Report 4 years ago
People's opinions really do not/ should not matter in this situation.

At the end of the day it is your life and guess what? there are people who are unhappy as doctors because they were forced into the profession as people told them they were way to clever for anything else.

Its not a matter of being too clever, its a matter of happiness within yourself and your career choice.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Im not undermining doctors
half of the doctors dont give proper diagnostics so then the patient has no better option but to run to us nurses to give them proper treatment.
Sure :sly:
tsh2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am hoping to become a doctor one day, I'm moderate at maths, but it's not my favourite subject.
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and History at A-Level, hoping to go on to medical school.
Do whatever is best for you, whether that may be a doctor, nurse or another profession, but being a nurse isn't a dumb job! You still need to go to university and have a decent medical knowledge.

Without nurses, the whole NHS would collapse!! Although being a doctor is more highly rated, nursing is just as important. Follow your heart and dreams. Don't listen to what anyone else says, at the end of the day it is your decision and nobody else's.
username1402543
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Even if that deeply flawed and non-evidence based statement were true (which it isn't lmao), how does that mean that nurses do multiple jobs and doctors don't?

Also, since when is it a competition anyway? 21st century healthcare requires the involvement of many different groups of professionals, all of whom are important and have a particular role to play. Just because the OP's friend (most likely someone who's not even in healthcare) has made an idiotic sweeping judgement doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon and get a chip on your shoulder.
What im saying is regardless of hierarchy doctors are always going to seem more 'high and mighty'. Yes 21st century healthcare does require all professionals but majority of the time the doctors act like they know it all and leave the nurses hanging.... this is more the etiquette that needs to be tackled.
username1402543
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fleur_de_haine)
Oh really? Examples of this 'proper treatment'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since when does a doctor ever do overtime? compared to nurses? one example of proper treatment from nurses.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What im saying is regardless of hierarchy doctors are always going to seem more 'high and mighty'. Yes 21st century healthcare does require all professionals but majority of the time the doctors act like they know it all and leave the nurses hanging.... this is more the etiquette that needs to be tackled.
Okay, and again, where's your source for this? Since medicine is, if nothing else, meant to be evidence based and scientific, presumably you have some data to back this statement up with?

Or is this all anecdotal and really just an excuse to have a whinge?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads