Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky Chic)
    Yeah they are the best, get it from Argos
    are they good on long hair too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    UKH are apparantly better than ghd, you can control the heat settins on them. they are about £70 though. babyliss ones are good- about £50. you won't get a decent pair for under that though- not ones that do the job properly
    Yeah, you can.. mine were £35. But I got them from a hairdressing wholesalers so cheaper prices anyway - but they are ace and work better than my mates £80 ones.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, my sister 'wanted to see how long my hair was' today so I let her GHD me. It sucks and apparently it won't come out until I go in the bath tommorow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Dude, my sister 'wanted to see how long my hair was' today so I let her GHD me. It sucks and apparently it won't come out until I go in the bath tommorow.
    lol...i think it looks cool...how old is she...she seems sweet

btw i havent moved to Canada...only there for the summer...but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Just a word of warning to all here,

Most uni halls of residence have a list of things which are banned for health and safety (i.e. fire) reasons. They range from the obvious such as tea-light candles to the less obvious such as mini-fridges.

Hair straighteners are on the prohibited list for at least Durham colleges, and University of London accomodation. Before spending lots of money, you might want to check whether they are permitted at your college/hall of residence or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    i guy i know had to have that done for a play he was on- it looked really good! he had a proper mullet after it was all ghd'd flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Just a word of warning to all here,

Most uni halls of residence have a list of things which are banned for health and safety (i.e. fire) reasons. They range from the obvious such as tea-light candles to the less obvious such as mini-fridges.

Hair straighteners are on the prohibited list for at least Durham colleges, and University of London accomodation. Before spending lots of money, you might want to check whether they are permitted at your college/hall of residence or not.
    you're not allowed hair straighteners?!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    you're not allowed hair straighteners?!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    For Durham the phrase they use is "No student may bring any electrical item containing a heating element into their study bedroom, with the exception of kettles and hair-dryers. All electrical equiptment must be approved by a college porter"

Unless I am mistaken hair-straighteners contain a heating element, don't they?

I would assume that kettles and hair-dryers are exempted as there is a large amount of plastic etc surrounding the element, so it cannot come into contact with anything flammable.

ReputationRep:
    For Durham the phrase they use is "No student may bring any electrical item containing a heating element into their study bedroom, with the exception of kettles and hair-dryers. All electrical equiptment must be approved by a college porter"

I would assume that kettles and hair-dryers are exempted as there is a large amount of plastic etc surrounding the element, so it cannot come into contact with anything flammable.
    lol id still take my straighteners!

ReputationRep:

could u not just hide them and sneak them in though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    could u not just hide them and sneak them in though?
    I am sure many people do

What might be an idea, is to see if you can contact a current student at whichever University you are going to, and finding out whether it is actually enforced or not.

What a Uni says it will do and what it will actually bother to do are very different things.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure many people do

What might be an idea, is to see if you can contact a current student at whichever University you are going to, and finding out whether it is actually enforced or not.

What a Uni says it will do and what it will actually bother to do are very different things.
    tis a good idea. i can't believe Durham has that rule! if i end up going there and am forced to live without my straighteners i'll cry!!! in fact i feel faint just thinking about it now!! *melodramatically swoons*

ReputationRep:
    I am sure many people do

tis a good idea. i can't believe Durham has that rule! if i end up going there and am forced to live without my straighteners i'll cry!!! in fact i feel faint just thinking about it now!! *melodramatically swoons*

ReputationRep:
    I am sure many people do

ReputationRep:
    I've got Toni and Guy - they are really good. I can't remember but I think they were £40 when I got them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    My mate is going to Durham and apparently you are not allowed airosols (sp?) either. They have a long list of items that are not allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh geez... you're so kidding!! Lolz.. that's about the funniest thing I've heard. Where is this list of what we're not allowed to take etc? I really do want to know before I start buying stuff.

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    My mate is going to Durham and apparently you are not allowed airosols (sp?) either. They have a long list of items that are not allowed.
    how are they supposed to check ?

ReputationRep:
    I was in halls at leeds uni last yeah and hair straighteners were allowed! we weren't allowed fairy lights or kettles or fan heaters but hair dryers and straighteners were fine....to be honest even 'banned' items were fine - my friend had fairy lights up in her room and despite the fact the cleaner wasin every week (and so saw them) there was no problem.

but yeah don't worry - i really don't think any uni hall is seriously not going to let people have hair straighteners, even if they say they don't allow themi doubt they would follow it up unless a fire had been caused previously or something like that. it might be best to make sure they are unplugged when you are out so its clear they aren't going to cause a fire to anyone in your room - we were meant to do that with phone chargers but i don't know anyone who did, and we were never reminded of it after apart from through a letter i got with my accomodation offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    i was wondering if anyone could advise me on which hair straighteners to buy....you see my sister has GHDs which are amazing but since they cost £80 or whatever i can't afford them (i need some for when i go back to uni wheni can't borrow hers all the time!) so if anyone knows of any cheaper sets that are also v good it'd be great, and also it'd be could if you could tell me which ones are crap cos i don;t want to waste my money either!

I bought Remington sleek one from argos, it costs £35, and is brill. It heats up in 60 secs and starightens really good.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.