The Student Room Group

Civil Service Finance/Commercial Fast Stream 2017

This is a thread for people hoping to get on the Finance and Commercial Tracks for the 2017 Fast Stream.

Initial numerical reasoning pass marks for both tracks have been set by the Fast Stream. The final pass mark will now be set in Mid-April. There is no further sifting after the numerical tests, just pre-appointment checks.

Please share any information you have on either track.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Numerical reasoning? I am still waiting for them to bloody change my status from 'awaiting event' to 'awaiting result'. So frustratingly slow they are.
Reply 2
ive passed for commercial but i really suck at numerical reasoning :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by zag96
ive passed for commercial but i really suck at numerical reasoning :frown:

Yeah me too :indiff: I found it slightly easier than the ones for some of the other grad schemes I've done though. How did you find it?
Reply 4
Yeah I found the test okay compared to other tests. Now it's just a waiting game I guess - does anyone have any idea when we might find out?
Reply 5
Original post by clg509
Yeah I found the test okay compared to other tests. Now it's just a waiting game I guess - does anyone have any idea when we might find out?

The Fast-Stream team told me that they'd be setting the marks in a couple of weeks (Mid-March). They only took on 52 people for Finance last year, so if its similar to last year they'll probably want almost all the numerical results to be in before making a decision :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Ah okay, thank you for the information! Fingers crossed for you 🍀
Hi guys,
does anyone know who the provider of the numberical test are? i.e. SHL
Reply 8
Original post by sunleyjack
Hi guys,
does anyone know who the provider of the numberical test are? i.e. SHL

SHL, though a slightly different format to some of the tests they provide for other schemes.
Original post by RJA294
SHL, though a slightly different format to some of the tests they provide for other schemes.

hey, have you done the test? The reason I'm asking is because I rung parity to ask who the test provider was so I could get some practice in and the lady said it was provided by cubiks
Reply 10
Original post by ashleigh1994
hey, have you done the test? The reason I'm asking is because I rung parity to ask who the test provider was so I could get some practice in and the lady said it was provided by cubiks

Ahh sorry! I did it a few weeks ago so my memory on it is slightly hazy. It might be Cubiks (I always get the two mixed up :laugh:). I would trust what the person from parity said.

The style of questions for either Cubiks or SHL is the same though (I think the main difference is Cubiks lets you go back to previous questions), so practice questions should be the same for either test :smile:.
Guys any idea when you get your results back once you have completed the numerical test?
Reply 12
Just got my FSAC pass through for commercial! :smile: Anyone know much about the numerical reasoning? Is it another highly competitive stage, or just a matter of displaying you have the required standard of maths necessary for the scheme?

And if we pass that would it lead to a job offer?

If anyone can shed any light that would be great :smile:
Reply 13
Bit of an odd question. But can I ask those of you who put finance as a reasonably high choice, why you chose it, please?
I put it as my third choice to GORS and GSS, and am still in the running for all three (plus communications, though I'm less bothered about that, despite having more experience in that area).
However, finance for me was almost a default option, by virtue of me loving numbers. I didn't feel there was much information on it, compared to my other choices.There is only one blog entry on life as a finance fast streamer, compared to ten for stats, and six for OR.
Has anyone had any conversation with anyone about the finance fast stream, and what it is like?
I ask, because although GORS is still my top choice, I am beginning to feel that I would prefer finance to stats, and am wondering whether to withdraw from the stats option.
Reply 14
Original post by GabrieleR
Congratulations to everyone that have passed the FSAC! I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their scores for the finance stream, as I am curious to know what the pass rates are at the moment? :smile:

Outrigger, on the main Fast Stream thread, said that he (or she) had got 10.83 and got through for Finance

I haven't seen any others for finance yet.
Reply 15
Thanks! I just saw that on the general thread myself. How long did it take for people to hear back about their results? :smile:

As far as I'm aware, all those who've had their FSAC reports through had their assessment centre very early in Jan, and heard they'd been successful in the first wave in mid February.
That's based on only a handful of posts though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! I just saw that on the general thread myself. How long did it take for people to hear back about their results? :smile:

Yep I had mine on 4 Jan, got the result in the first wave (8 Feb I think) and the noticed my FSAC report was available on the 27th I think. Still nothing on the numerical test results yet though...
Reply 17
Anyone heard anything more about when the numerical results will be released? A few weeks ago they said Mid-March, which means sometime in the next two weeks, but I haven't heard anything since.
Original post by RJA294
Anyone heard anything more about when the numerical results will be released? A few weeks ago they said Mid-March, which means sometime in the next two weeks, but I haven't heard anything since.

Meant to say, I messaged them yesterday and they said the same thing i.e. In the next two weeks.
Reply 19
Original post by Outrigger
Meant to say, I messaged them yesterday and they said the same thing i.e. In the next two weeks.

Thanks for the info :smile:. I messaged them today, they said they don't have any dates set yet, but should be towards the end of March. I'm guessing they'll tell us around March 22nd (give or take a few days) then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending