A level Maths desparate help- Module selection only

Watch this thread
Ameenk95
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let me try and keep this as short as i can Image

Im resitting A Level maths. Currently at a 'C' grade. 414 UMS points. 420 UMS points to get a B.

Grades:
PC1 - A
PC2 - B
PC3 - C
PC4 - D
Mechanics 1- E
Stats 1 - A

I suck at mechanics. Im looking to either do S2 or D1.
I did a bit of D1 in the past but switched for M1 for my resit as i thought it would be more interesting, D1 seems easy but i lost a lot of marks. Image M1 was a ball ache.

It has been 3 years since i've looked at any of the core modules.
I was advised to go back and do Pure core 4. - The exam questions for core have gotten harder for core modules in the recent years. But as ive forgotten the content, i cant tell if last years paper was hard. Can someone clarify more on this?

Its been 2 years since i've looked at Stats. However i genuinely cant tell if Stats 2 exam has gotten harder/challenging as i don't know the content at all.. Also dont know if theres a pattern in exam style questions... I know S1 was sooo easy as all the questions were the same sort of fashion... just different numbers.. Any clarification on S2?

D1 seems easy. I just lost a lot of marks due to dumb errors. But i reckon i could do well on it too if i knuckle down. I believe theres only so much they can ask the candidate and if ive gone through all the exam papers i should be sorted... any clarifcation on this?

Im desparate to get my B. I resat last year just after i left uni, didnt have long to revise. this year im doing a gap year and i wanna make it right.
yourmate'smate
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, do S2. The only real additions from S1 are some other distributions (binomial and poisson as well as normal distribution). There is also some differentiation and integration but nothing higher than C1 level.
Clark_282
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yourmate'smate)
Honestly, do S2. The only real additions from S1 are some other distributions (binomial and poisson as well as normal distribution). There is also some differentiation and integration but nothing higher than C1 level.
Yeah I agree, S2 seems like the best idea.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ameenk95)
Let me try and keep this as short as i can Image

Im resitting A Level maths. Currently at a 'C' grade. 414 UMS points. 420 UMS points to get a B.

Grades:
PC1 - A
PC2 - B
PC3 - C
PC4 - D
Mechanics 1- E
Stats 1 - A

I suck at mechanics. Im looking to either do S2 or D1.
I did a bit of D1 in the past but switched for M1 for my resit as i thought it would be more interesting, D1 seems easy but i lost a lot of marks. Image M1 was a ball ache.

It has been 3 years since i've looked at any of the core modules.
I was advised to go back and do Pure core 4. - The exam questions for core have gotten harder for core modules in the recent years. But as ive forgotten the content, i cant tell if last years paper was hard. Can someone clarify more on this?

Its been 2 years since i've looked at Stats. However i genuinely cant tell if Stats 2 exam has gotten harder/challenging as i don't know the content at all.. Also dont know if theres a pattern in exam style questions... I know S1 was sooo easy as all the questions were the same sort of fashion... just different numbers.. Any clarification on S2?

D1 seems easy. I just lost a lot of marks due to dumb errors. But i reckon i could do well on it too if i knuckle down. I believe theres only so much they can ask the candidate and if ive gone through all the exam papers i should be sorted... any clarifcation on this?

Im desparate to get my B. I resat last year just after i left uni, didnt have long to revise. this year im doing a gap year and i wanna make it right.
Could you post individual UMS for units - this is more relevant than grades.

D1 is very doable ... but once I see your UMS I'll give a fuller answer.
Ameenk95
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Could you post individual UMS for units - this is more relevant than grades.

D1 is very doable ... but once I see your UMS I'll give a fuller answer.
PC1 - 82 (A)
PC2 - 78 (B)
PC3 - 68 (C)
PC4 - 54 (D)
S1 - 82 (A)
M1 - 48 (E)

Around these marks. When i did D1 i got 38/75
Ameenk95
Rep:
I did AQA. How long will it take me to revise all the content? Also i will be self teaching myself too so i don't wanna make the mistake of taking S2 instead of D1. D1 is really easy i know that at the least as i did it once.
Ameenk95
Rep:
(Original post by Clark_282)
Yeah I agree, S2 seems like the best idea.
Your reasoning? Also i do AQA. Just dont wanna mess this year up as im self teaching. And id have a lot of content to go over. Already been over D1. And i only have around 2 months to get it right
yourmate'smate
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I did AQA. How long will it take me to revise all the content? Also i will be self teaching myself too so i don't wanna make the mistake of taking S2 instead of D1. D1 is really easy i know that at the least as i did it once.
It sounds like you want to do D1. My point is that if you've already done S1 and achieved an A, there is not much more you need to learn for S2 and you clearly clicked with statistics.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
PC1 - 82 (A)
PC2 - 78 (B)
PC3 - 68 (C)
PC4 - 54 (D)
S1 - 82 (A)
M1 - 48 (E)

Around these marks. When i did D1 i got 38/75
Have you thought about restting one of these rather than learning a 'new' module?

C1 should be easy to move up 4 UMS or even M1 - we can help you with mechanics If you are determined to do another applied module then D1 is an AS unit so easier than S2.

I would not tackle C3 or C4 again - too much to re-learn.
Ameenk95
Rep:
It sounds like you want to do D1. My point is that if you've already done S1 and achieved an A, there is not much more you need to learn for S2 and you clearly clicked with statistics.
Yeah D1 seems easy. Feels as easy as S1 if I'm honest. In S1 all they can do is change the values and the methods will be the almost the same. But D1 I feel they can be a bit more challenging but if I go through all the papers then it'll be a recap of everything together and myself just remember

Just wanting something as easy as S1. With S2, is it new concepts or do I need to recap S1? Bare in mind I have only two months to study this. Self teaching too. Is s2 more formula based?
Ameenk95
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Have you thought about restting one of these rather than learning a 'new' module?

C1 should be easy to move up 4 UMS or even M1 - we can help you with mechanics If you are determined to do another applied module then D1 is an AS unit so easier than S2.

I would not tackle C3 or C4 again - too much to re-learn.
Mechanics is way too hard for me, I'd prefer to do any other module rather than that one! Also I'd rather just leave out the core modules for now

I think I need to check the content of S2 properly. I know D1 is doable as it's quite easy concepts. Just not sure if S2 is the same
yourmate'smate
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yeah D1 seems easy. Feels as easy as S1 if I'm honest. In S1 all they can do is change the values and the methods will be the almost the same. But D1 I feel they can be a bit more challenging but if I go through all the papers then it'll be a recap of everything together and myself just remember

Just wanting something as easy as S1. With S2, is it new concepts or do I need to recap S1? Bare in mind I have only two months to study this. Self teaching too. Is s2 more formula based?
The S2 exam is later on, if I'm not mistaken? The S2 exam was 4-5 weeks after the D1 exam last year.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Mechanics is way too hard for me, I'd prefer to do any other module rather than that one! Also I'd rather just leave out the core modules for now

I think I need to check the content of S2 properly. I know D1 is doable as it's quite easy concepts. Just not sure if S2 is the same
Stick to D1 - it's an AS module ie easier than S2.
Ameenk95
Rep:
The S2 exam is later on, if I'm not mistaken? The S2 exam was 4-5 weeks after the D1 exam last year.

Fair enough. Could you tell me more about the content? Formula based? Do I still need to know S1 concepts? Is the exam questions style all the same or do they vary?
Ameenk95
Rep:
Bumpppppp
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (78)
18.75%
The paper was reasonable (155)
37.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
28.13%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed