ArranJones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I am studying for the OCR (new specification) A-Level psychology and I just wanted some tips on how to ace the exam. There is quite a lot of remembering to learn and not sure how much detailed knowledge I need. Any input would be appreciated, particularly those who have some good advice and have already done well in A-Level Psychology. I've done my two AS mocks and done well but A2 is quite different as there is an additional exam, and the other exams have much more to it.

Thanks.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ArranJones)
Hi,
I am studying for the OCR (new specification) A-Level psychology and I just wanted some tips on how to ace the exam. There is quite a lot of remembering to learn and not sure how much detailed knowledge I need. Any input would be appreciated, particularly those who have some good advice and have already done well in A-Level Psychology. I've done my two AS mocks and done well but A2 is quite different as there is an additional exam, and the other exams have much more to it.

Thanks.
Hey - I'm doing this too and am frightened. I got a C in my AS Level which my teachers were surprised at as I had been getting As and Bs in mocks. Turns out the majority of people also got Cs and Ds and some got Us. Apparently it was because we were lacking detail like small numbers about how many males and females in each study, which makes it even worse. I know the numbers but I can't tell you which study they belong with.

I'm scared of the applied psychology one because the questions are so different from research methods and core studies. I'm doing mental health, criminal and child psychology. I've just been doing all the practice questions my teachers have given me and reading the exemplar answers, things like that.

I've also made quizzes for my parents to test me on that'll test my knowledge of the small details, for example "in Ainsworth and Bell's research, how many infants were tested at 51 weeks old?" to make sure I really know the small details.
Virolite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol applied psychology isnt testing study knowledge per say
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Virolite)
lol applied psychology isnt testing study knowledge per say
I know it isn't but you can't get a good amount of marks unless you know specific details. It won't ask you a specific question like "what is the sample size?" but it will ask you to reference a study regarding a debate or a situation, and in order to do that I need to know the little details.
Boopidoop
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i was predicted a A but ill be happy with a D at this point
Teigan182
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For applied psychology it's not about the studies per say [theyre important obviously but ive been told not to waste too much time in exams describing them in detail], for applied it's about the actual application of the knowledge and applying it to a setting or the conclusions of the study [which i find way easier than core studies]
laurenpointon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Hey - I'm doing this too and am frightened. I got a C in my AS Level which my teachers were surprised at as I had been getting As and Bs in mocks. Turns out the majority of people also got Cs and Ds and some got Us. Apparently it was because we were lacking detail like small numbers about how many males and females in each study, which makes it even worse. I know the numbers but I can't tell you which study they belong with.

I'm scared of the applied psychology one because the questions are so different from research methods and core studies. I'm doing mental health, criminal and child psychology. I've just been doing all the practice questions my teachers have given me and reading the exemplar answers, things like that.

I've also made quizzes for my parents to test me on that'll test my knowledge of the small details, for example "in Ainsworth and Bell's research, how many infants were tested at 51 weeks old?" to make sure I really know the small details.
Do you have any practice questions you could put on here? My teacher never finished the course with us and I'm teaching applied psychology to myself but I've never seen a specimen paper or been given any practice questions. Thank you
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by laurenpointon)
Do you have any practice questions you could put on here? My teacher never finished the course with us and I'm teaching applied psychology to myself but I've never seen a specimen paper or been given any practice questions. Thank you
Look on the OCR website - there's papers there
Jennielou123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm also doing mental, criminal and child- if you want to get in contact maybe we can have a chat about them and maybe revise together??
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jennielou123)
I'm also doing mental, criminal and child- if you want to get in contact maybe we can have a chat about them and maybe revise together??
Do you have any resources for remembering all the studies?
Virolite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jennielou123)
also doing m.h, child and criminal
Jennielou123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you have any resources for remembering all the studies?
Ngl I haven't really focused on applied yet, but in core studies I've got these A3 sheets that basically summerises each study, and I'm probably going to do the same for applied just been doing lots of mind maps, and associating different things with different colours. I haven't got any of my things with me at the moment unfortunately otherwise id put them in this thread
ArranJones1997
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Boopidoop)
i was predicted a A but ill be happy with a D at this point
How did you find the exam yesterday?
Ferrous-flame
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can anyone outline how you answer the different types of questions?
Abehr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How was your AS exam and can you remember what came up? I'm doing mine next week and want to know what to look out for...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (0)
0%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
100%

Watched Threads