The Student Room Group

Is Economics Broken?

I want to study Economics at University, but I wish it would make more progress. I could link you to numerous people calling for change, including Andy Haldane of the BoE, the writers of Econocracy, economic professors and more.

But I was wondering what economists, aspiring economists and non-economists thought of this. Is Economics too slow to change, and should it instead focus on being a valuable social science rather than a sort of faux science?
Here's a good article by the Economist. If anything, economics has become more of a quantitative science over the past few decades as opposed to a battleground between schools of thought.

Regardless, it better not be (very) broken. I'm dedicating the next three years of my life to this subject.
I study Economics at uni.

I once asked a professor at York whether he considered the subject a science. He studied Physics at undergrad level and believed that Economics was harder, and comparable to science, because it makes assumptions. E.g. physics assumes frictionless planes, economics assumes rational behaviour. This implies that there's an energy to compare it to science, perhaps for prestige reasons. Is economics too 'hard' to quantify it amongst other social sciences? Recent Nobel Laureates consider it drifting further away from maths in lieu of concepts like organisational behaviour, which contrasts with the the York professor's view.

I think the subject is changing, and has changed, in recent years. There's definitely more acceptance of psychology and philosophy, and more integration of people into models. There's also more focus on financial crises in light of 2008/09, in the hope that we don't exacerbate the self-interested motives of well remunerated financial executives, which is shown through philosophical adaptations of ethics into branches of economics.

In my view, Adam Smith published early texts in economics. Very little incorporated maths, and his assumptions were consumer-centric. It should remain a valuable social science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Exceptional
I study Economics at uni.

I once asked a professor at York whether he considered the subject a science. He studied Physics at undergrad level and believed that Economics was harder, and comparable to science, because it makes assumptions. E.g. physics assumes frictionless planes, economics assumes rational behaviour. This implies that there's an energy to compare it to science, perhaps for prestige reasons. Is economics too 'hard' to quantify it amongst other social sciences? Recent Nobel Laureates consider it drifting further away from maths in lieu of concepts like organisational behaviour, which contrasts with the the York professor's view.

I think the subject is changing, and has changed, in recent years. There's definitely more acceptance of psychology and philosophy, and more integration of people into models. There's also more focus on financial crises in light of 2008/09, in the hope that we don't exacerbate the self-interested motives of well remunerated financial executives, which is shown through philosophical adaptations of ethics into branches of economics.

In my view, Adam Smith published early texts in economics. Very little incorporated maths, and his assumptions were consumer-centric. It should remain a valuable social science.

I agree with you, although I don't feel like it's changed enough. For example, the failures of forecasts after Brexit was put down to a lack of consideration of irrational behaviour by Andy Haldane. So I think change is happening, but far too slowly, and the major changes are yet to come.

But mostly, I agree with your last point. It may not be a science, and I hope people stop treating it as one, because it is actually a valuable social science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending