The Student Room Group

Job/Career with good vacation time

Any jobs with good holidays? I want to work in the finance sector but the holidays are only around 25 days a year, any other finance related careers with longer holidays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Wenger_Out
Any jobs with good holidays? I want to work in the finance sector but the holidays are only around 25 days a year, any other finance related careers with longer holidays?

Yes there's financial Jobs at the TSR Government , great hours and experience Hurry!
Reply 2
Original post by Che_Chux
Yes there's financial Jobs at the TSR Government , great hours and experience Hurry!

Can you link the application form pls

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in all honesty a good 80%, maybe more, jobs in the finance sector have little to no days off. The best thing I can suggest is being a finance lecturer because then you get all university holidays off, a decent wage and job security. I'm sorry I couldn't find a better answer for you but there really seems to be nothing, I think I searched for a good 25 minutes!
Original post by ShannyMorrison
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in all honesty a good 80%, maybe more, jobs in the finance sector have little to no days off. The best thing I can suggest is being a finance lecturer because then you get all university holidays off, a decent wage and job security. I'm sorry I couldn't find a better answer for you but there really seems to be nothing, I think I searched for a good 25 minutes!

University staff don't get the holidays off work.

Academic and administrative annual leave is around 30days plus 5 or so closure days (over Christmas and an extra day or so at easter) plus bank holidays.

It's generous holiday but not the 3-4 months off students get
Reply 6

Thanks for taking the timr to research, its appreciated
You better have Wenger's job then. Ayyyyyy
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
University staff don't get the holidays off work.

Academic and administrative annual leave is around 30days plus 5 or so closure days (over Christmas and an extra day or so at easter) plus bank holidays.

It's generous holiday but not the 3-4 months off students get

Yh i was thinking that as well. Guess im just a bit disheartened that once im working ill be working for 11months/year if i pursue the finance sector
Reply 9
Original post by shawn_o1
You better have Wenger's job then. Ayyyyyy

Yh i wouldnt mind it tbh. £8million a year for getting the team in the top 4 is an easy job

Thats a standard amount of time off for 95% of jobs across many sectors. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is doing a term time only job e.g. admin in a school which pays a pittance. Teachers might appear to get long holidays but they are working 50-60 hour weeks during term time and always have marking, lesson planning, e.c.t to take home with them in holidays which takes some of the time away. And university lecturers do research over uni holidays.

You might even find, like I have, that actually being on annual leave is quite boring when you no longer have holidays at the same time as your friends. Thers only so many days I can amuse myself for. So I don't mind having a lot less time off than I used to.
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000
Thats a standard amount of time off for 95% of jobs across many sectors. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is doing a term time only job e.g. admin in a school which pays a pittance. Teachers might appear to get long holidays but they are working 50-60 hour weeks during term time and always have marking, lesson planning, e.c.t to take home with them in holidays which takes some of the time away. And university lecturers do research over uni holidays.

You might even find, like I have, that actually being on annual leave is quite boring when you no longer have holidays at the same time as your friends. Thers only so many days I can amuse myself for. So I don't mind having a lot less time off than I used to.

Hmmm thats interesting. Out of curiosity, do you spread out your holidays over the year or do you just use all 25days at once for one big holiday abroad or something? Also, any reasons for doing so or not
Hmmm thats interesting. Out of curiosity, do you spread out your holidays over the year or do you just use all 25days at once for one big holiday abroad or something? Also, any reasons for doing so or not

It's a written rule in some places and an unwritten rule in others that you don't take more than 3 weeks off at one time, so 15 days of leave unless you have a really good reason why you need the time off. My guess is because otherwise you're likely to fall behind on work so much that it impacts on the organisation. I've not taken more than a week off at a time since I started work in August, primarily because I haven't had anything to do per say with the time, just sleep so I don't burn out!

If you are in the UK its the law that you get 28 days holiday minimum.

I'm aware, and in the grand scheme of things that is very little compared to say, a high school teacher who gets Summer, Easter, Christmas as well as weekends. It's all relative.
Reply 15
If you're only taking a job because of the holiday time then you're going to really struggle when you end up not enjoying the job... I know it's cliché, but there is some truth in the "pursue something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" saying - everyone has their bad days, but if you're doing something you find interesting and stimulating then you'll find the holiday time doesn't matter as much.

It's also worth noting that a lot of employers offer benefit schemes will often include the ability to buy a few extra days of holiday. So, whilst they may offer a certain number of days as standard, there may be potential to bump that up by a few more days (and the sacrifice of salary, obviously).
I'm aware, and in the grand scheme of things that is very little compared to say, a high school teacher who gets Summer, Easter, Christmas as well as weekends. It's all relative.

Teachers work at home in the evenings and at weekends during term time.

Though bear in mind that bank holidays can be included in that 28 days - I get 26 days + bank holidays but 25 + bank holidays is common
Yh i wouldnt mind it tbh. £8million a year for getting the team in the top 4 is an easy job

£8m for getting the team in the top 4?
Reply 19
Original post by natninja
£8m for getting the team in the top 4?

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending