Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

I thought I would make a thread for this exam, since I can't find one. I don't think many people on here actually do English Language! We can discuss revision techniques and post revision resources on here, and I will update this first post with attachments as we go along with more resources (if I can work out how to do that!). I'm aiming for the A*, but no one in my school ever gets A*'s, we haven't had one for a few years so I'm a bit apprehensive, so any tips would be helpful!

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries will be like, as it is a new spec?

What are you using to revise?

How have you done in your coursework, if you've completed it?

How much revision are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r1998)
    Hi i do English Language too! I'm studying English Language and Lingustics at Uni next year so i'm aiming for an A* too
    Hey!

What are you using to revise?

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm guessing hardly anyone does english language?

ReputationRep:
    hey i do lang wanna share notes? message me

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips/ guides on how to answer a question on each paper that a teacher advises?
    I,e one for Childrens language, one for language change, surely different ways to approach it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliceimo)
    hey i do lang wanna share notes? message me
    Hey, I haven't made notes for english. I use the stuff I find online as it's all really good. Getrevising is amazing for english.

(Original post by mattvb)
    Anyone have any tips/ guides on how to answer a question on each paper that a teacher advises?
    I,e one for Childrens language, one for language change, surely different ways to approach it...
    For child language, we've been told:
    State the stage the childs in and give some examples that they are in this stage (e,g overextension ect)
    Mention all four main theories - argue for and against theories Use case studies to support/ argue against them
    Overall you want to say all of the theories go hand in hand but the most important is input theory
    and also refer back to the question and the data set, so if the childs showing overgeneralisation, say this links to chomskys LAD

(I have no idea about childrens writing to be honest, if it comes up in the exam im not sure what ill do!)

As for language change essays, I'm not really sure how to format them if i'm honest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Harry998)
    I have a really good set of notes and layout for the exam if anyone wants my help? :grin:
    yes please! if you could either dm me or email me [email protected] that would really help

ReputationRep:
    yes please! if you could either dm me or email me [email protected] that would really help
    Sent

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hi Harry could you send them to me also: [email protected] -much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattvb)
    Hi Harry could you send them to me also: [email protected] -much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I forwarded the email I sent to alice to you too

ReputationRep:
    Received! Thanks a lot pal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Harry998)
    I have a really good set of notes and layout for the exam if anyone wants my help? :grin:
    Yes please I have DM'd.

Does anyone have any idea's for topics that will come up in paper 2? Based on the specimen papers provided and the year 1 exam, I think it's safe to say that gender and regional accents/dialects wont be a topic that will feature? A possible essay question on language change/occupation/world englishes?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your first or second year of the course? I'm in first year and was wondering if the course is still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen_may)
    Are you in your first or second year of the course? I'm in first year and was wondering if the course is still the same.
    I am in the second year, and you get 20% coursework and also do child lang

ReputationRep:
    I am in the second year, and you get 20% coursework and also do child lang
    Ah brill, so you did language and gender etc too? I'm doing it right now and it's going okay, I'm just freaking out about this coursework because I have no idea what to do it about...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the coursework is annoying! But remember it is only 20% so not signficantly affecting the end grade, i did mine on how the language in advertisements for women have changed over time and then brought in my knowledge of language change and gender etc

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested in having a whatsapp group where we can all talk and chat about stuff related to the exam in there give me some rep and DM me

ReputationRep:
    that would be cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_mcsweeney)
    Hey could you send them to me to please? Thanks!!
    If you send me your email I can send them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.