The Student Room Group

Need some serious advice!

Hi guys, I'm Abs, I made an account just so I can post this and get some feedback/advice? I'll try and make my situation as clear and concise as possible.

So I have this condition called thallasemia, and I have to have blood transfusions every 3 weeks. Got diagnosed when I was 7 and I've had the regular transfusions and other treatment for the past 3 years. Won't get too into it but its relevant. I was a good student in GCSE considering everything, got Bs and Cs overall, I chose computing business studies and maths at Sixth Form, but I unfortunately got really ill in this time and couldn't attend many lessons at all. In AS I barely scraped through with a DDE, my form tutor and teachers are aware of my condition and tried to support me however they can, and they were even amazed I passed considering my low attendance. Same story for A2, which I got EEU For. My Tutor assured me he would be a good reference saying if it wasn't for the extenuating circumstances I would be a competent student. I really did want to go to uni but I couldn't and it was out of my control. I looked for apprenticeships and eventually I found an IT apprenticeship, the first few months went really well and I did all my work to an "exceptional standard" however, I was still getting transfused every 3 weeks and regular doctors appointments, and they felt like they were just paying me to be sick and have days off I guess, because I got fired in December. Since then I've been on a specific diet, exercising regularly and really just doing everything I can to make sure my health doesn't stop me from what I want to do again. At this point I want to pursue a degree but would that even be possible? What options are there for me right now? Any word back or advice would be appreciated
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your job. People do go to university with thalassemia, so yes you can. But do remember that university is just as much of a commitment as a job is - sometimes people think that they should do a degree because they are not well enough to work, but the truth is if you're not well enough to work, you're not well enough to complete a degree!

When choosing a degree and university, bear in mind that some are very intense and have minimum attendance requirements, whilst others are a lot more relaxed. You could also consider part time study if you don't think you'll be able to manage full time.

When you see courses your interested in, you could email the academic departments and their disability service to explain your circumstances and discuss whether you could meet the requirements. They will not refuse you a place because of disability, unless you are fundamentally unable to meet the non-negotiable minimum standards, so don't be afraid to disclose it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply! I agree with a lot of things you said, but would unis even consider me with the grades I got? Of course I'd explain my situation but I'm still unsure
Original post by BringMoreCoffee
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your job. People do go to university with thalassemia, so yes you can. But do remember that university is just as much of a commitment as a job is - sometimes people think that they should do a degree because they are not well enough to work, but the truth is if you're not well enough to work, you're not well enough to complete a degree!

When choosing a degree and university, bear in mind that some are very intense and have minimum attendance requirements, whilst others are a lot more relaxed. You could also consider part time study if you don't think you'll be able to manage full time.

When you see courses your interested in, you could email the academic departments and their disability service to explain your circumstances and discuss whether you could meet the requirements. They will not refuse you a place because of disability, unless you are fundamentally unable to meet the non-negotiable minimum standards, so don't be afraid to disclose it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is technically possible to be accepted with no A levels, although obviously fairly rare - you would need to check with individual universities, and write a really amazing application.

But the options which are most likely to succeed are either an access course from a college, followed by a normal three year degree, or a degree with a foundation year/ widening participation programme. Either way it's four years in total.

There are government loans available for access courses - Google 'Advanced Learner Loan', or if you pick a degree with foundation year, you pay for the whole thing with regular student loans.

Basically you will need to do s lot of Googling, trawling through UCAS and contacting individual universities!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending