The Student Room Group

Youtube and Disney cancel PewDiePie for Nazi sympathies

Scroll to see replies

Lefty fantasists imagine they're living in Nazi Germany and that Jews are still an oppressed people. Get over yourselves and your virtue signalling.
Original post by Vikingninja
Kids especially internet dwellers find random offensive stuff to be funny. Doesn't surprise me that he's saying jokes like this, sounds like him to get more attention. Not that he's actually a nazi or whatever but pretty sure Disney doesn't want to be associated with this.

The problem is that whether he is a Nazi or not, the effect of his words is to make Nazis feel validated and make Jewish people feel offended. If it really is some "brilliant satire" of Nazis, as other TSRians are claiming, and in actuality the effect is the opposite (neo-Nazis love and applaud it, Jewish people find it offensive), then if he continues to do it, it does call into question the degree to which it is truly intended to ridicule the bigots.

I think my comment (linked below) probably expresses my view on the subject most clearly

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4560058&p=70092826&page=4#post70092826
Pewdiepie is friends with H3H3, who are Jews.

Obviously, he could still be anti-semetic but knowing this makes it seem unlikely.
Reply 83
Original post by AlexanderHam

If it is this searing expose of Nazis, a clever satire

I don't think anyone is going so far as to say it's a clever satire, or even a good (series of) jokes. The jokes are ****, we can all agree on that much. The intent, however, was satire.
Original post by h3rmit
The intent, however, was satire.

And if the intention was satirical (highly questionable) but the actual effect is to make neo-Nazis feel good about themselves and to offend Jewish people, and he continues doing it knowing that it is having the opposite effect to the one he claims (to ridicule the Nazis), then it does call into question his true motives and the degree to which he truly cares about the wellbeing and opinions of Jewish people. To continue saying these things, on the basis that both the neo-Nazis (who love it) and the Jews (who mostly hate it) just don't "get it" leaves a rather dishonest taste in the mouth.

I think my comment here (see link below) expresses my view more clearly; I think the homophobia analogy in the comment probably throws it into clearer relief.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4560058&p=70092826&page=4#post70092826

My own view is that he is probably not a conscious Nazi, but that he is willing to say disgustingly racist things in order to get attention and accrue subscribers. And if he's willing to do that by any means, including expressing (putative, whether joking or not) support for the genocide of Jewish people, I think he's a piece of ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
They're third-world people, of course they were going to do it.

:confused:
We're probably getting to a point of diminishing returns, but I'll have another shot at it.

Let's say, hypothetically, that the position espoused by TSRians in defence of him, that this is really some sophisticated satire of Nazis rather than just puerile "shock" humour (at best) or sly expressions of an underlying or embryonic view that tends in that direction (at worst). If his intention is to satirise Nazis, then surely the effect of his words matters.

Let's say I go around the office at work saying things like, "Damn, I can't stand those gay fag***s. Disease-ridden subhumans, they're so disgusting; spreading their AIDS everywhere with their filthy sodomy". Let's say that I think this is a brilliant satire of homophobes.

And the reaction is that the office homophobes actually love this "satire" that is supposed to ridicule them, while the gay people in the office find it deeply offensive. With that knowledge, keeping in mind my intention is supposed to be to satirise and ridicule the homophobes and that the gay people I purport to support and defend, find it deeply obnoxious and offensive, does it then make sense to continue making those comments on the basis that both the gay people and the homophobes just don't "get it"?

If, knowing that it makes the homophobes walk a little taller and get some kicks and amusement, and makes the gay people in the office feel like crap, I continue with it anyway, I can't in actuality think that much of gay people or really care what their views are. And I can't, in actuality, really make any serious claim that it's really some clever satire of homophobes when in fact the homophobes don't feel injured or defensive about it but instead feel validated by it.

If one continues to say these things, knowing the effect it has on both sides, then I think one's intentions become somewhat clearer. Pewdiepie knows that the neo-Nazis are walking taller because of it, feeling validated by it, and knows that many Jewish people find it offensive. In continuing with it, we can deduce a lot about the relative value he places on their opinions

@SinsNotTragedies @Reality Check

edit: the tl;dr version of this is the last three paragraphs.

I can concede some of this because I don't think there's much difference in whether it is 'puerile shock humour' or satire. The effect is the same: that it isn't meant to be taken seriously, and isn't taken seriously by anyone who isn't already disposed to want to take it seriously.

Context matters. Walking around the office saying something, as just a guy, is different from saying something as a person who makes his living as, in part, a comic. The difference is in how your comments are likely to be perceived: they are far less obviously meant to be taken as a joke if you're just saying this stuff walking around your office. Of course, even if they are meant as a joke, you have far better justification in taking offence at someone's comments when they are making them in your immediate vicinity, whilst walking about your workplace, than if someone made them in a video that you can decide not to watch.

This also impacts on your point about genuine homophobes feeling validated by what you're saying. This would require more context: are you in a very liberal office? Say, I don't know, a design-centred business in New York? Then it is doubtful that anyone would take you seriously. Or, are you working in an office of Saudi Aramco? Perhaps in that case it's a little more likely you'd be taken seriously.

Because context is so important I don't find this analogy particularly helpful, so I'll address the last couple of points directly in relation to PewDiePie. For what it's worth I think in your analogy these comments would tend to go beyond what is acceptable in the context, and may well be reasonably interpreted as involving a degree of genuine endorsement of homophobic views, not least because the comments are given in the immediate vicinity of gay people and regardless of what may well be their feelings about it. This would all be subject to the actual dynamic in the particular office.

There are two key points about the context of the PewDiePie incident. One is that this is a comic who is known to say shocking things on occasion to get laughs. The other is what is actually being said, which is so far beyond the realm of acceptable opinion that no reasonable viewer would believe that he really meant it.

In this context, he is not responsible for the thoughts and feelings of those involved with the Daily Stormer -- which, by the way, are sure to have been more or less exactly the same before and after he made these comments. These people are not interpreting his comments in a reasonable manner. They are interpreting them through the lens of an anti-semitic worldview. They are doing this because they are anti-semites.

As I pointed out above, these people often think they are just 'saying what everyone is thinking'. They will obviously be inclined to take anything that is said as an affirmation of their world view. It would be completely unreasonable to consider anyone outside of that group to be under a duty to filter what they say according to how it might be taken by a fringe group.
Original post by chazwomaq
:confused:

What was unclear about what I said? They are living in a third-world country, they are extremely poor. The idea that he thought they wouldn't do this simple job for a $5 payment is ludicrous. As I said, it has a rather nasty "punching down" flavour to it.
The only people who find it funny and edgy are people who already hate Jews.

No... Many people find it funny because of the pure audacity to say something like that, and the fact that he got some Indians to make a dance about it. If you laugh it does't mean you hate all Jews and you're Hitler, you're just laughing at something outrageous. Just like 9/11 jokes, you don't condone it, you're simply laughing at a joke.

Second, if you're so indifferent to the wellbeing and safety of Jews that you're willing to say they should all be killed (whether for a "joke" or otherwise), then that indifference tells us everything we need to know about your regard (or lack thereof) for the Jewish people.

It doesn't mean you're indifferent to the wellbeing of Jews at all. Laughing at a joke about Jews does not equal hating Jews.

There's nothing edgy or funny about calling for the genocide of a people who were almost wiped out within living memory.

No, no, no. Making or laughing at a joke does not mean you're calling for genocide! You, sir, need to chill out, untrigger yourself, and recognise that a joke is a joke, and nothing more, certainly not calling for genocide.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
X

Good comment. I think we're getting to the nub of the issue, I will come back on your points but I have to head off now. I'll come back later to respond to your positions on that because I feel there is some justification for asserting the Pewdiepie situation is on all fours with the office homophobia analogy.
The problem is that whether he is a Nazi or not, the effect of his words is to make Nazis feel validated and make Jewish people feel offended. If it really is some "brilliant satire" of Nazis, as other TSRians are claiming, and in actuality the effect is the opposite (neo-Nazis love and applaud it, Jewish people find it offensive), then if he continues to do it, it does call into question the degree to which it is truly intended to ridicule the bigots.

I think my comment (linked below) probably expresses my view on the subject most clearly

Oh no I agree he's a **** for that just that he doesn't hold those views. All he's aiming for with his videos nowadays is just to get some muppets to watch his videos because of shock factor (he once reacted to a child hentai... yep quality) though this was way to far. Also his fanbase is pretty impressionable so they can easily take those jokes seriously.
What was unclear about what I said? They are living in a third-world country, they are extremely poor. The idea that he thought they wouldn't do this simple job for a $5 payment is ludicrous. As I said, it has a rather nasty "punching down" flavour to it.

Poor people will do whatever you say for a bit of money. That does have a nasty flavour to it I agree.
We're probably getting to a point of diminishing returns, but I'll have another shot at it.

Let's say, hypothetically, that the position espoused by TSRians in defence of him, that this is really some sophisticated satire of Nazis rather than just puerile "shock" humour (at best) or sly expressions of an underlying or embryonic view that tends in that direction (at worst). If his intention is to satirise Nazis, then surely the effect of his words matters.

Let's say I go around the office at work saying things like, "Damn, I can't stand those gay fag***s. Disease-ridden subhumans, they're so disgusting; spreading their AIDS everywhere with their filthy sodomy". Let's say that I think this is a brilliant satire of homophobes.

And the reaction is that the office homophobes actually love this "satire" that is supposed to ridicule them, while the gay people in the office find it deeply offensive. With that knowledge, keeping in mind my intention is supposed to be to satirise and ridicule the homophobes and that the gay people I purport to support and defend, find it deeply obnoxious and offensive, does it then make sense to continue making those comments on the basis that both the gay people and the homophobes just don't "get it"?

If, knowing that it makes the homophobes walk a little taller and get some kicks and amusement, and makes the gay people in the office feel like crap, I continue with it anyway, I can't in actuality think that much of gay people or really care what their views are. And I can't, in actuality, really make any serious claim that it's really some clever satire of homophobes when in fact the homophobes don't feel injured or defensive about it but instead feel validated by it.

If one continues to say these things, knowing the effect it has on both sides (the opposite of the claimed intention), then I think one's true disposition become somewhat clearer. Pewdiepie knows that the neo-Nazis are walking taller because of it, feeling validated by it, and knows that many Jewish people find it offensive. In continuing with it, we can deduce a lot about the relative value he places on their opinions

@SinsNotTragedies @Reality Check

You are blowing this whole thing completely out of proportion, why are you creating a preposterous straw man?

This is completely different contextually. I very much doubt pewdiepie or anyone rational would do such a thing in a more personal setting. Satire like this is best practised across a large platform, such as a popular YouTube channel. You can tell that pewdiepie is a character of sorts, Felix is not pewdiepie. A person in an office is not in character.

And people should be able to say what they like, they are free individuals. That is not to say that I agree with every aspect of their speech, I just support people's right to free expression (not personal attacks). Comedy, as is quite clearly practised by pewdiepie, is of no harm to society.
86172209d9040d9ef8675d258250eeda.jpg <<< OP's face right now.

Disclaimer: posting this meme does not mean I condone the murder of 6 million men, women, and children, despite what OP would have you believe.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
edit: the tl;dr version of this is the last three paragraphs.

I can concede some of this because I don't think there's much difference in whether it is 'puerile shock humour' or satire. The effect is the same: that it isn't meant to be taken seriously, and isn't taken seriously by anyone who isn't already disposed to want to take it seriously.

Context matters. Walking around the office saying something, as just a guy, is different from saying something as a person who makes his living as, in part, a comic. The difference is in how your comments are likely to be perceived: they are far less obviously meant to be taken as a joke if you're just saying this stuff walking around your office. Of course, even if they are meant as a joke, you have far better justification in taking offence at someone's comments when they are making them in your immediate vicinity, whilst walking about your workplace, than if someone made them in a video that you can decide not to watch.

This also impacts on your point about genuine homophobes feeling validated by what you're saying. This would require more context: are you in a very liberal office? Say, I don't know, a design-centred business in New York? Then it is doubtful that anyone would take you seriously. Or, are you working in an office of Saudi Aramco? Perhaps in that case it's a little more likely you'd be taken seriously.

Because context is so important I don't find this analogy particularly helpful, so I'll address the last couple of points directly in relation to PewDiePie. For what it's worth I think in your analogy these comments would tend to go beyond what is acceptable in the context, and may well be reasonably interpreted as involving a degree of genuine endorsement of homophobic views, not least because the comments are given in the immediate vicinity of gay people and regardless of what may well be their feelings about it. This would all be subject to the actual dynamic in the particular office.

There are two key points about the context of the PewDiePie incident. One is that this is a comic who is known to say shocking things on occasion to get laughs. The other is what is actually being said, which is so far beyond the realm of acceptable opinion that no reasonable viewer would believe that he really meant it.

In this context, he is not responsible for the thoughts and feelings of those involved with the Daily Stormer -- which, by the way, are sure to have been more or less exactly the same before and after he made these comments. These people are not interpreting his comments in a reasonable manner. They are interpreting them through the lens of an anti-semitic worldview. They are doing this because they are anti-semites.

As I pointed out above, these people often think they are just 'saying what everyone is thinking'. They will obviously be inclined to take anything that is said as an affirmation of their world view. It would be completely unreasonable to consider anyone outside of that group to be under a duty to filter what they say according to how it might be taken by a fringe group.

What you evince is exactly how I feel, you say it far better than I could. :lol:

I completely agree with your points - good post.
Original post by Harold98
Hmm... I wouldn't consider him a nazi. It's just his sense of humour, really. It's quite edgy and provocative. Plus, he apologised later on for the joke.

The problem is, it's not a one-off comment. He has posted swastikas on his social media timeline, done little Hitler salutes, used the N-word, claimed he is persecuted because he is a white man, and conveyed the message "Hitler was right".

Imagine if there was someone who kept making comments like, "All Muslims are terrorists and camel-f***ers", and calling Mohammed a paedophile, and all the usual right-wing tropes. And when he was called on it, he claimed, "Oh, I'm just satirising Islamophobes". That wouldn't seem very convincing
Great news.

I really hope that YouTube get involved as well. Nazi sympathizers should have their YouTube channels banned regardless of how many subscribers they have.
The problem is, it's not a one-off comment. He has posted swastikas on his social media timeline, done little Hitler salutes, used the N-word, claimed he is persecuted because he is a white man, and conveyed the message "Hitler was right".

Imagine if there was someone who kept making comments like, "All Muslims are terrorists and camel-f***ers", and calling Mohammed a paedophile, and all the usual right-wing tropes. And when he was called on it, he claimed, "Oh, I'm just satirising Islamophobes". That wouldn't seem very convincing

It's not islamophobic to state that Muhammad married a nine year old child and had sex with her.
Original post by NickLCFC
Great news.

I really hope that YouTube get involved as well. Nazi sympathizers should have their YouTube channels banned regardless of how many subscribers they have.

Communists are just as bad, if not worse.
Glad to see the left waking up to the threat of anti-semitism.

How long before they notice the biggest group of anti-semites in the world?

LOL,only kidding we know they never will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending